Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (21/12/09) (Scattered snow showers today)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Graces7 wrote: »
    Really? Sheesh....

Totally off topic and you can ban me if you like.. and I am sure it is not necessary, but at my advanced age these things matter more and more....

If you have elderly neighbours, please check that they have fuel and food.

Especially if this is going to continue much longer..

There is going to be real hardship and real danger of hypothermia; we who are on pensions do not have reserves for extra fuel. Not at today's prices.

Maddening here as there are fallen trees but cannot find anyone to bless me a wee while with a chainsaw... Ah well... Dependent on the fire here.

OK; will gather the cats and close down. My eyeballs are cold!

Asking Father Christmas for a few bags of coal!

Stay safe and warm.. may snow fall on all who come here...

Actually this applies to the cities too as the public transport was disrupted by the weather thus limiting their ability to get into the shops for anything.

Fog is thinning slightly here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Freezing down here in wexford just looked out the window and the frost looks like snow it's that bad lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

All fog has cleared in Navan. Really cold night. Still ice on the roads outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

heavy snow here now for the last 40 minutes. it's topping up the snow cover very nicely indeed!!

• Advertisement

-4 in Shannon

That promising looking blob on the Mayo/Galway border fell asunder and doesn't look like it will make it all the way down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

-2 here in mayo, but cloud cover is keeping the temperature up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Kilkenny City outskirts..

Temperature: -2.2 °C
    Dew Point: -2.5 °C

No frost. Little fog. Sure there must be some ice about though. Clear sky.
    School run looks like it'll be on.

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    the 9.15pm BBC weather forecast has signified snow for the south east up to Dublin on Wed am.

Um..

And this is what http://breakingnews.iol.ie/weather/ has to say....

"Wednesday
    Mostly dry with sunny spells but fog and low cloud may persist inland. There is the chance of rain in the far south later. Light and variable winds. Max temp 3-6°C (37-43°F)."

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

This is what Met E have to say:

Tomorrow Wednesday will be very cold again. Many areas will remain dry, but rain and sleet in the far south will spread further into Munster and south Leinster during the day, and turning to snow in the afternoon with accumulations inland.

• Advertisement

I think http://breakingnews.iol.ie/weather/ need a new weather person. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Its very christmasy here in dongeal, place is all frozen and it has been hailing heavy all night, ( thats right hail! lol) but its still all white everywhere and the frost has compacted it, if this was snow it would be unreal out there by now :(

Met eireanns forecast today said it will get somewhat milder, but its a bit confusing for christmas day

Outlook
    The cold weather will continue up to Christmas Day, with frost fog and icy roads as well as some further snow showers. It will get somewhat milder then for a couple of days with some rain at times.

Wednesday night will be mainly dry, but very cold with widespread severe frost and icy patches. Thursday (Christmas eve) will stay very cold, but apart from well scattered sleet or snow showers near coasts, the day will be dry with just light westerly breezes. Thursday night will begin frosty, but rain preceded by sleet will spread from the southwest overnight. Christmas day will get milder with a freshening southwest wind and rain will affect all parts during the day. Saturday (St Stephens day) will be cloudy and breezy with spells of heavy rain, and it'll continue to feel cold even though temperatures will have recovered to between 5 and 7 degrees.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

a massive streamer heading down from scotland that could easily give us all at least 5 inches of snow if it lies and falls as snow. lying shouldnt be a problem temp is -2c

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Unreal is the word up here; but SO COLD. JUST SO COLD.

The snow is frozen and crunchy.

It seems there is no chance I will get to Town/shops before Christmas now; off to review the cupboards. And see what the fuel situation is also.

But the road here is still solid white. My wee car would just slide and slither. No chance.

Pangea wrote: »
    Its very christmasy here in dongeal, place is all frozen and it has been hailing heavy all night, ( thats right hail! lol) but its still all white everywhere and the frost has compacted it, if this was snow it would be unreal out there by now :(

Met eireanns forecast today said it will get somewhat milder, but its a bit confusing for christmas day

Outlook
    The cold weather will continue up to Christmas Day, with frost fog and icy roads as well as some further snow showers. It will get somewhat milder then for a couple of days with some rain at times.

Wednesday night will be mainly dry, but very cold with widespread severe frost and icy patches. Thursday (Christmas eve) will stay very cold, but apart from well scattered sleet or snow showers near coasts, the day will be dry with just light westerly breezes. Thursday night will begin frosty, but rain preceded by sleet will spread from the southwest overnight. Christmas day will get milder with a freshening southwest wind and rain will affect all parts during the day. Saturday (St Stephens day) will be cloudy and breezy with spells of heavy rain, and it'll continue to feel cold even though temperatures will have recovered to between 5 and 7 degrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 burkieboy

Alot of snow in the roscommon,leitrim area looking by the radar:D:D

viewimage.pbx?type=hiradar;file=radaraaltv4_0750;sess=d2ae5cfdcd41dd8973c78b3fe7d01e8d

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Unreal is the word up here; but SO COLD. JUST SO COLD.

The snow is frozen and crunchy.

It seems there is no chance I will get to Town/shops before Christmas now; off to review the cupboards. And see what the fuel situation is also.

But the road here is still solid white. My wee car would just slide and slither. No chance.

:eek: I have to drive up there on Xmas eve. Is it really that bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Morning all. Very cloudy and misty here in Waterford City. There was a heavy frost last night and everywhere is White it's just like snow. Temp now is -1.5c.

Absolutely so.

The time of year when fragile old bones get broken easily.
    Actually this applies to the cities too as the public transport was disrupted by the weather thus limiting their ability to get into the shops for anything.

I am way up well above the snow line and yes, up here it is that bad.

The snow is several inches thick

Not sure re the situation in Donegal Town etc, and I am sure 4 wheel drives are fine also. A few cars pass up here.... The farmers are using "cats" now to feed the stock.

Pangea and Irish1967 are nearer Town.. they will advise.
    ?
    jaffa20 wrote: »
    :eek: I have to drive up there on Xmas eve. Is it really that bad?

• Advertisement

how much snow can we expect from that massive streamer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 burkieboy

owenc wrote: »

Well you said 5 inches ealier hope your right:confused::confused:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

owenc wrote: »

Just so you don't get your hopes up, I don't think that will make to you - looks to be moving to the SW.

burkieboy wrote: »
    Well you said 5 inches ealier hope your right:confused::confused:

lol that was a guess because of how long it was but really i have no clue itll likely break up anyway! what happened to the mild spell temps maxes for here on christmas day are 1c and 2c the next day all that week thank goodness the mild spell musst be for the far south...

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Just so you don't get your hopes up, I don't think that will make to you - looks to be moving to the SW.

yes seen that from other streamers at that rate well get no showers today,.:mad:

snowing heavily again. two inches accumulated overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I am way up well above the snow line and yes, up here it is that bad.

The snow is several inches thick

Not sure re the situation in Donegal Town etc, and I am sure 4 wheel drives are fine also. A few cars pass up here.... The farmers are using "cats" now to feed the stock.

Pangea and Irish1967 are nearer Town.. they will advise.
    ?

brrrrr... Main roads round the town are fine but the state of the minor roads is linked to how much traffic uses it... I have been unable to get to town since Sunday. One large hill like a ski slope.. if I got down it I wouldnt get back up... took 7 attempts to get up it on Sunday afternoon.

All in all main N roads are grand as long as you take it easy but side roads, estate, lanes are like skating rinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Saw a few different forecasts for tomorrow and there saying it will rain or sleet in the south. Surely the air will be cold enough for this to be snow right?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Wednesday looks very interesting today.

Obviously disappointing living 1km from the coast but at least i havee a tinge of elevation.

But i reckon if you move 5 miles inland on Wednesday some places will see a decent bit of snow. Latest models have it running well up the east coast.

• Advertisement

Pangea wrote: »

Outlook

i wouldn't be surprised if that forecast changes slightly again. earlier yesterday they were saying the showers would be confined to the coast overnight yet we got 2 inches of lieing snow. this cold spell has proven how tricky it is to forecast what will happen beyiond 4 hours. so with 4 days to go to christmas anything could happen:cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement