Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (21/12/09) (Scattered snow showers today)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

if mt cranium is correct it'll be somewhat milder after christmas until around the 10th of january. his winter forecast has been spot on so far.

He could be right, it's as good as anyones forecast. The models don't even know up to Friday what'll happen for sure. If the Atlantic SW'lies get in, then its goodnight Vienna for a while potentially to cold weather. I don't relish that,and neither will those affected by Novembers heavy rain, but we'll see who wins out. I am disappointed that it doesn't like there'll be a battleground scenario between mild and cold,which can often lead to heavy snow. Then again,this time yesterday,there looked likely to be, so who knows? I get a headache sometimes with this stuff....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Still like the new zealand guy's prediction. Can't wait for march 2nd:p

http://homework.blogs.ie/2009/09/15/long-term-weather-forecast-for-ireland/

Made on sept 15.

September 15, 2009
    A man called Ken Ring from New Zealand is often on the radio here in Ireland doing weather predictions He predicted the very wet 2009 Irish summer and the nice September weather back in March 2009.
    I heard him give a brief forecast summary for the next few months. It will be interesting to see how accurate he is. He even specifies certain days for snow or frost - not just weeks.
    Sept 2009 mostly dry and warm until Sept 21 when there will be some heavy rain.
    There will also be more rain in the first week of October 2009 .
    From 23rd November - to 26th Nov it will be cold with frost and possibly snow.
    9th to 23rd Decenber - a dry period from with a cold spell around December 11th Not a White Christmas though..
    January 2010 will bring havy rain from 14-18th and a dry cold spell between Jan 20 - 31.
    Early February will also be very cold.
    He predicted snow on March 2nd 2010 and even snow as late as April 14th.
    The warm weather will be back from late May early June 2010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b5rcamAVm8

This will give you a laugh. "Snow reports".

Met Eireann Receives Reports Of Snow Across Ireland (Winter 2009-10)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

disapointed that it seems the mild air will sweep in so easily around christmas day,i was hopin that there would be a bit of a battle between the two air masses right over ireland with real potenial for some heavy snow...........how come met eireann are so sure the mild air is gonna sweep in so quick and easy while still a few days away....can it still change?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

That was awesome.... A complete white out. A little grapeshot, but mostly large flakes.

The dogs and I went crazy out there,,,,

And every branch and twig has a thick layer of snow; about an inch.

Breathtakingly beautiful; and from the sky, more to come.

The wee birds are coming in to feed in droves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

take it back, is moderately snowing again.

BBC Monthly outlook

Monday 21 December 2009 to Sunday 27 December 2009
    Staying cold but snow risk easing

Christmas week is expected to be appropriately cold with widespread frosts at night. We will also experience some very low daytime temperaures during the early and middle part of the week, becoming a little less cold by the big day itself. The risk of snow eases off by the middle of the week, but by that stage we could see some dense fog which may be difficult to shift. Consequently some places could be very cold. Whether or not fog becomes a problem, with parts of the Midlands, northern Engalnd and southern Scotland struggling to get much above freezing. Christmas Eve and Christmas Day look to be days of sunny spells and showers. The showers mostly of rain around the coasts, but a little sleet and snow is likely in inland areas, so a white Christmas for some. It looks as if a deep Atlantic low will move in from the west on Boxing Day, wind, rain and less cold weather setting in during the weekend.

Monday 28 December 2009 to Sunday 3 January 2010
    Unsettled

Low pressure to the northwest of Ireland will keep things unsettled across our shores. We can all expect some rain some of which will be heavy, in fact many areas can expect more than their fair share of rain. Temperatures will be a bit below average but not as cold as recently. Northeast England will probably see the best of the sunshine.

Monday 4 January 2010 to Sunday 17 January 2010
    Still unsettled, still cold

Low pressure remains centered to the northwest of the UK, generating a west or soutwesterly airflow. That will keep a succession of various bands of rain moving through with brighter, showery spells in between. Rainfall amounts generally above average. Sunshine amounts should be close to average while temperatures will still be a bit below normal for most parts.

Next week

More Snow for late January?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

It's snowing very slightly here in Cork! This is great!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Cian92 wrote: »
    It's snowing very slightly here in Cork! This is great!

where in cork are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Following my little red bobs again on raintoday.co.uk... next one should be hitting me about 12.30..

Graces7 u must be directly north of me about 3-5 miles.. you are getting hit minutes before me.

• Advertisement

More snow starting; big flakes....WOW

ok.. timing it till I see my first flake Graces

Edit: just popped outside.. can see your shower but i think its gonna just miss me here

I hear you Irish!!! lol

But not continuing much here; I knew at Advent when we had a little snow that we are above the snow line here.

irish1967 wrote: »
    ok.. timing it till I see my first flake Graces

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

where in cork are you?

Near Blarney, but its stopped again so...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

I have to admit this thread is a great laugh, well done to all on keeping it updated, its funny at the moment as many of us (including me have had no snow) so we all spend hours in vain looking at patterns and clouds etc, and nothing happens, ah well, im always the optimist, If you build it it will come;)

Just 3.5 miles from Town northwards.. where the houses have stopped and the Blue Stacks take over...

Following my little red bobs again on raintoday.co.uk... next one should be hitting me about 12.30..

Graces7 u must be directly north of me about 3-5 miles.. you are getting hit minutes before me.

Know the road well.. often head up to Lettertrane on that road

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I have a question , Met eireann gave -4 for tonight ,
    and it gives -9 air tempertures for wednesday night,
    Is it air tempertures what they always use in the forecast even when they dont label it "air", is tonights -4 ground or air tempertures?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Somebody posted a link to a Norwegian site which gave a very good view of the cloud cover over Europe.
    I can't find it now! Anybody have the link?

(It wasn't SAT24 Btw...)

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Somebody posted a link to a Norwegian site which gave a very good view of the cloud cover over Europe.

(It wasn't SAT24 Btw...)
    might have been the dundee station (yes i know its in scotland :)). you have to register. its free and only takes a min
    http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/auth.html

• Advertisement

it was www.yr.no i would imagine

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I know the link he is talking about I am looking for it myself at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

10-10-20 wrote: »

(It wasn't SAT24 Btw...)

This I think?: http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

Lettertrane?

The road leads nowhere but is part of the Blue Stack Drive; no idea re the names up here!
    Know the road well.. often head up to Lettertrane on that road

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Wow you can see the extent of the snow coverage all over Europe on sat24. Except Waterford of course......

Blue sky and sun through snow covered conifers....

Graces7 wrote: »
    Lettertrane?

The road leads nowhere but is part of the Blue Stack Drive; no idea re the names up here!

ah yeah up by the grey mares tail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

ah yeah up by the grey mares tail

Whats it like around lough Eske?

• Advertisement

Very picturesque.. live on a back road not far away... been stuck in since 3pm yesterday.. no gritting up in the back roads !!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement