Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (21/12/09) (Scattered snow showers today)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Ricky91t wrote: »
    looking at that it appears that many of those showers from the north are streaming away to the west now and not making landfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

re the lp over scotland,
    the lady on the radio forecast made no mention of this lp weakening so why isn't there organised showers coming down from the north at times. did it weaken too much prior to this and is now moving south albeit remaining stable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Bit of a thaw beginning here, it'll take a while to thaw all that's here though. Here's a couple more pics:
    4E7EFC7E81E444C8AACF7D3AF6A997C9-500.jpg

141098F103CB4DD18550A716C127565F-500.jpg

Some more pics here: http://pix.ie/cian1500ww/album/363846

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Bit of a thaw beginning here, it'll take a while to thaw all that's here though. Here's a couple more pics:
    4E7EFC7E81E444C8AACF7D3AF6A997C9-500.jpg

141098F103CB4DD18550A716C127565F-500.jpg

Some more pics here: http://pix.ie/cian1500ww/album/363846

thanks for pictures. you must have over 3 inches of snow at this stage. with that in mind do you live on high ground by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

latest from ME
    21 December 2009 11:48

Today Occasional heavy showers of rain, hail, sleet or snow in Connacht and Ulster and parts of west Munster; well isolated showers elsewhere with sunny spells though misty at times. Some icy conditions persisting in places through the day and snow lying in parts of the north and northwest. Top temperatures of 0 to 5 degrees.
    Tonight

Further snow showers in parts of the west and north overnight but most other areas dry with clear skies but some freezing fog developing mainly in the midlands and south. Widespread icy conditions with lowest temperatures zero to -5 degrees. hr.gif

Tomorrow

Tomorrow, Tuesday, will see a continuation of the freezing conditions with some further wintry showers in the north and west but most other areas dry but fog is likely to linger in parts of the midlands and south.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

re the lp over scotland,
    the lady on the radio forecast made no mention of this lp weakening so why isn't there organised showers coming down from the north at times. did it weaken too much prior to this and is now moving south albeit remaining stable?

Looks like it's becoming flabby and not moving southwestwards towards us so there isn't really much potential there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

What is normally a 20 minute drive took me 90 minutes this morning (Crosserlough to Cavan Town). It was a pretty scary experience.

Does anybody know what the weather is forecast to be like for around the Kilnaleck, Ballyjamesduff area for this evening. I am meant to be in work until 6pm but if the roads are going to be like they were this morning I would rather leave earlier if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

thanks for pictures. you must have over 3 inches of snow at this stage. with that in mind do you live on high ground by any chance?
    No problem, more to come yet. Working on a panorama from 40 shots atm.

I live in Ballinamore, on top of a small hill. Here to be exact: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=54.039643,-7.833087&num=1&sll=54.051537,-7.797911&sspn=0.013102,0.032015&ie=UTF8&ll=54.038425,-7.83042&spn=0.018548,0.038581&z=15

It's not very high at all and we've never seen snow like this before.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Pangea wrote: »
    I have a question , Met eireann gave -4 for tonight ,
    and it gives -9 air tempertures for wednesday night,
    Is it air tempertures what they always use in the forecast even when they dont label it "air", is tonights -4 ground or air tempertures?

Anyone have an answer to this? I was curious about it too.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

looking at that, unless a surprise feature pops up, it's going to stay fine over the bulk of the country for the rest of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

irish1967 wrote: »
    Very picturesque.. live on a back road not far away... been stuck in since 3pm yesterday.. no gritting up in the back roads !!

Id say the stacks look classic. I use to work at lough eske Hotel. The back roads between eske and the town are usuall very icey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

TomTom wrote: »
    Anyone have an answer to this? I was curious about it too.

Met Eireann always use air temperatures unless they state otherwise. So if it does get to -9 as forecast on Weds night - it could be -15 on the ground....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Wednesday sounds fun for all those driving home for xmas:
    Wednesday: Daytime temperatures generally staying below freezing with frost and freezing fog persisting through the day and snow lying. Air temperatures Wednesday night may fall as low as -5 to -9 degrees

Ahh Balls, I hate driving in those conditions

Good news good news :D
    Just saw the BBC forecast and in their graphics they had the rain system clearly turning to snow as it hit Eastern Ireland including wexford and wicklow :D

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Just saw the BBC forecast and in their graphics they had the rain system clearly turning to snow as it hit Eastern Ireland including wexford and wicklow :D

For when? Is this a rain system moving in from the west? 1982? :eek: :pac:

51-574.GIF?21-6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Are you talking about today or Wednesday ? Ok seen that, Wednesday.

What are the chances some snow showers might bubble up in eastern counties this afternoon ? It looks ominous outside, and bitterly cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

51-574.GIF?21-6

I know these charts are unreliable, but I love the way the precipitation misses Nth. Co. Dublin. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Wibbler wrote: »
    I know these charts are unreliable, but I love the way the precipitation misses Nth. Co. Dublin. :rolleyes:

Yeah I was just looking at that too :( Misses us from the north, and now from the south too!

mad DIY wrote: »
    What are the chances some snow showers might bubble up in eastern counties this afternoon ? It looks ominous outside, and bitterly cold.

The airflow is coming from the west so showers will be in southwest, west, northwest area. Eastern counties I imagine will be dry today.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

had the tinyiest dusting of snow imaginable last night with a slight frost, its melted now. Dont think we'll get any showers today but if they were around im not sure it's cold enough for snow at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

brillant about time we had some fun on this side again on the EAST !!!

In saying that hope we get some in D15 area

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

That wednesday night stuff is super marginal, is going to be a nowcast event for sure, right now I would go with rain /sleet 90% snow or nothing 10% here.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10094?&search=ireland&itemsPerPage=10&region=world

will we get the cold front coming off france along with the low pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

As a big red blob approaches the domicile of the irish1967 he peers northwards in the minute hope that the approaching cloud contains those little ivory flakes which he longs to see flutter from the heavens.

In other words.. com on ya fecking red blob.. blanket me !!

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Yeah I was just looking at that too :( Misses us from the north, and now from the south too!

Defeated by geography, and the Vikings good use of it. They must not have liked snow:(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

They look magnificent.. Amid them here.
    Kippure wrote: »
    Id say the stacks look classic. I use to work at lough eske Hotel. The back roads between eske and the town are usuall very icey.

• Advertisement

I hope Dublin gets no snow until christmas eve, otherwise its going to make getting to and from work hell. The city just comes to a stop.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement