Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (21/12/09) (Scattered snow showers today)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yes, I can see that from the back field; the lower areas are clear and there is a distinct snow line.

Bird's eye view.

When I moved here, and when it snowed on the first Monday of Advent, realised the house is well above the snow line.

Thick snow here still... several inches now. Dogs are up to their shoulders out there.

We pay for it in lower temperatures, but the beauty.

When we came in around 4 pm, there were thick clouds boiling northwards and towards Glenties. And towards Donegal Town also.

Seems to be getting very cold again now.

But you had snow this morning?
    Pangea wrote: »
    Heard there was 6 inches in leitrim, that seems to have got the brunt of the snowfall, anything west turned to rain or sleet all weekend ,still raining here in donegal, the frost last night was very bad ,everywhere is like an ice rink, and still is , the mountains are covered in snow but in lower ground it just has the snow that fell on saturday night, its sticking around a while, so the snow they are talking about on met eireann that is coming is just gona fall as rain in south donegal is it? The snow probably heading for leitrim again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Heard there was 6 inches in leitrim, that seems to have got the brunt of the snowfall, anything west turned to rain or sleet all weekend ,still raining here in donegal, the frost last night was very bad ,everywhere is like an ice rink, and still is , the mountains are covered in snow but in lower ground it just has the snow that fell on saturday night, its sticking around a while, so the snow they are talking about on met eireann that is coming is just gona fall as rain in south donegal is it? The snow probably heading for leitrim again!

Here in dromahair in leitrim, it certainly feels like its not over here yet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/dayforecast.asp?zipcode=belfast&day=4

my bet on belfast is looking good, feck it i should have put the lot on belfast same odds

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

-10c over the snowfields on Christmas morning:eek:

Rtavn9017.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Pangea do you live near the sea? either way you should considering moving to upland less heartache in these situations that way:)
    Nacho! Aye i live near enough the sea, well around 3 miles away , its still hilly around me though lol
    live around 110 foot above sea level, whats ur verdict? :P I have experieced lots of snow in my area over the years, and very heavy amounts so I dont think living near the sea hurts as much as people on here say. Maybe on this occasion. But I get snow once or twice a year when others get none.
    K-9 wrote: »
    Bit of sleet about a half an hour ago here. Snow still lying here from Saturday, can't see it thawing out to much. Hoping for something this evening as it gets colder.
    Nice, yeah the snow that is still lying here is all compacted and deeply frozen, hasnt defrosted all day :) , it really is magnificent weather , just lacking in the snow department but sure thats life! could be worse.

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »

But you had snow this morning?
    That sounds great, u have a lot of snow,
    We had a bit of snow overnight ,it was bascially just a top up to the covering of white that came on saturday night, nothing worth mentioning.

So you saying its gona snow on Christmas day?

Irish1967 is in Donegal Town? The showers are very local?

I am revelling in it of course!!

Watching the dogs playing ...

But the bitter cold is very hard...
    That sounds great, u have a lot of snow,
    We had a bit of snow overnight ,it was bascially just a top up to the covering of white that came on saturday night, nothing worth mentioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

So you saying its gona snow on Christmas day?

Nope, seems a liklihood of a period of snow in the east during Wednesday and during Thursday and then a clearence and extremely cold.

Looking like turning less cold on Christmas although this run has numbed that down abit aswell, maxes of 2-7c on Christmas day with rain and sleet according to this run.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Nacho! Aye i live near enough the sea, well around 3 miles away , its still hilly around me though lol
    live around 110 foot above sea level, whats ur verdict? :P I have experieced lots of snow in my area over the years, and very heavy amounts so I dont think living near the sea hurts as much as people on here say. Maybe on this occasion. But I get snow once or twice a year when others get none.

my verdict is you must have offended the snow gods recently, either that, or, given you are close to the sea, the polar maritime influence on this airmass is negating your height above sea level. i'd say it's more likely the former:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

snowed really heavy this moring giving a coating of around 3 inches which froze hard and is frozen max temp was 0.5c and the snow managed to melt somehow still some left though.. on the mountain behind me there is around 12 inches in the deepest parts!

and note the schools didnt close... seem to have closed in limerick and we have more schools never shut here nor scotland wonder why england wales and down south have to shut theres isnt fair on us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

def an upgrade on this morning's forecast. Sleet and snow for munster and leinster on wednesday. Possibility of further snow on Christmas Day

21 December 2009 15:51

Today Very cold this evening and tonight with widespread icy conditions and some patches of freezing fog. Occasional hail, sleet or snow showers in Atlantic coastal counties, but mostly dry elsewhere. Lowest temperatures zero to -5 degrees.
    hr.gif

Tomorrow

Tomorrow, Tuesday, will see a continuation of the freezing conditions with frost and fog clearing only slowly, with some persisting in sheltered areas all day. A few wintry showers in coastal areas of the north and west, but most other areas dry, with some sunny spells. Top temperatures 1 to 5 C., at best.

Outlook

This very cold spell of weather will continue up to Christmas Day, with frost fog and ice and some wintry showers. But it will get somewhat milder then for a couple of days with some rain at times.
    Tuesday night will be calm, very cold and mostly clear. Air temperatures will fall to between -1 and -5 degrees and ice and some freezing fog patches. Overall hazardous conditions for travelling countrywide. Wednesday: Very cold during the day. Some sunny spells developing in the west and north, but frost and fog slow to clear. But it will be mostly cloudy over much of Munster and Leinster, with some falls of rain and sleet and with some snow on high ground, and possibly at some lower levels too. Very cold again Wednesday night with widespread frost, fog and ice returning. Thursday (Christmas Eve): Calm, freezing conditions prevailing and possibly freezing fog persisting through much of the day. Some sunny spells, but a few scattered wintry showers also. Friday (Christmas Day): A cold, frosty start, but rain will spread from the Atlantic as the day progresses, possibly falling as sleet or snow in western and northern areas for a time. It will stay on the mild side then for St Stephen's Day, but mostly cloudy with some persistent an heavy rain in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Lads, GFS 12z is a peach of a run....!

(Edit: except in deep FI!)

Some are closed here in Donegal..

See

http://oceanfm.ie/news/2009/12/21/school-closures-listing/

quote=owenc;63598975]snowed really heavy this moring giving a coating of around 3 inches which froze hard and is frozen max temp was 0.5c and the snow managed to melt somehow still some left though.. on the mountain behind me there is around 12 inches in the deepest parts!

and note the schools didnt close... seem to have closed in limerick and we have more schools never shut here nor scotland wonder why england wales and down south have to shut theres isnt fair on us![/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Just when I thought it was safe to get off this damn rollercoaster, Met Eireann and the 12z GFS decide it's not over yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Do any of the boffins reckon Belfast will get snow on Christmas day?

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

So it looks like a brief return of the atlantic for the 25th and 26th, not getting that warm either and then colder again! Although from the North it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The snow risk for the east Wed/Thurs looks fairly marginal on the 12Z GFS.
    Looks more like cold rain/sleet to me with a chance of snow on high ground.

Rtavn9017.png
    lol...I havent looked but a -10c over central Ireland compared to 0's 1's and 2's in England must have caused some consternation over on TWO and NW :D

Graces7 wrote: »
    Some are closed here in Donegal..

See

http://oceanfm.ie/news/2009/12/21/school-closures-listing/

quote=owenc;63598975]snowed really heavy this moring giving a coating of around 3 inches which froze hard and is frozen max temp was 0.5c and the snow managed to melt somehow still some left though.. on the mountain behind me there is around 12 inches in the deepest parts!

and note the schools didnt close... seem to have closed in limerick and we have more schools never shut here nor scotland wonder why england wales and down south have to shut theres isnt fair on us!
    [/QUOTE]

thats only two schools probably on the mountain schools in ni never shut!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Do any of the boffins reckon Belfast will get snow on Christmas day?

I'd say theres a decent chance it'll snow somewhere in NI on Xmas day but impossible to pin down exact locations this far out.

Rougies wrote: »
    Just when I thought it was safe to get off this damn rollercoaster, Met Eireann and the 12z GFS decide it's not over yet!

OOOh, really what are they saying, what do you know :) Snow for Dublin in there???

what mild sector is coming after christmas, temps will be dropping to around -1c maxes from tomorrrow then rising to around 2/3c on christmas thats not mild! will probably be colder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Outlook

This very cold spell of weather will continue up to Christmas Day, with frost fog and ice and some wintry showers. But it will get somewhat milder then for a couple of days with some rain at times.
    Tuesday night will be calm, very cold and mostly clear. Air temperatures will fall to between -1 and -5 degrees and ice and some freezing fog patches. Overall hazardous conditions for travelling countrywide. Wednesday: Very cold during the day. Some sunny spells developing in the west and north, but frost and fog slow to clear. But it will be mostly cloudy over much of Munster and Leinster, with some falls of rain and sleet and with some snow on high ground, and possibly at some lower levels too. Very cold again Wednesday night with widespread frost, fog and ice returning. Thursday (Christmas Eve): Calm, freezing conditions prevailing and possibly freezing fog persisting through much of the day. Some sunny spells, but a few scattered wintry showers also. Friday (Christmas Day): A cold, frosty start, but rain will spread from the Atlantic as the day progresses, possibly falling as sleet or snow in western and northern areas for a time. It will stay on the mild side then for St Stephen's Day, but mostly cloudy with some persistent an heavy rain in places.

Just picked that off Met.ie - looks like a white christmas for some christmas day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Rougies wrote: »

as i've said countless times you can never turn your back on snow:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Lots of clouds around here at the moment, looks like it could snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Dancing_Priest

lol...I havent looked but a -10c over central Ireland compared to 0's 1's and 2's in England must have caused some consternation over on TWO and NW :D

Muggins here is living right under that little blue dot and knows nothing about the weather. He is left wondering what it actually means, so can it really mean -10 degrees on Christmas day? Or is it a glitch? :confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

eskimocat wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see if the clouds you mention drop anything here in Dromahair. The sky definitely clouded over there a little while ago but it looks to be moving south.. don't think (in my decidedly amateur opinion) that it will drop anything here but time will tell.

Yeah, as they passed over us there was not 1 flake of snow or 1 drop of rain!! :(

Another batch is heading for here now by looks of things on the horison, coming from the Letterkeny/Castlederg direction, nothing here in terms of precepation since about 08.00 this morning...anything that has come over us here in Enniskillen has yielded nothing!! Plenty of snow still lying tho, and is slowly starting to freeze.

Gee;;; you are one unhappy bunny today!!

Stay safe and warm!

thats only two schools probably on the mountain schools in ni never shut![/quote]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

as i've said countless times you can never turn your back on snow:p
    hehe. you are like leslie neilson in Airplane who keeps coming in to the cockpit during the emergency landing saying ' Just to let you know, we are all counting on you'

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement