Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (21/12/09) (Scattered snow showers today)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Muggins here is living right under that little blue dot and knows nothing about the weather. He is left wondering what it actually means, so can it really mean -10 degrees on Christmas day? Or is it a glitch? :confused::confused::confused:

It could be -10, but it could just as easily be -8 or -7 in the next few runs. I think the safest way to look at it is that Christmas Day could be very cold. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

thats only two schools probably on the mountain schools in ni never shut![/quote]

Plenty of schools closed in my area, more frost and ice than anything ,i dont think i ever seen the roads as bad with ice as i did today, its great for a good slide though. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Dancing_Priest

It could be -10, but it could just as easily be -8 or -7 in the next few runs. I think the safest way to look at it is that Christmas Day could be very cold. ;)
    Right, so it's probably not going to be mild and damp then......

I really hope the oil man made it around today. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Pangea wrote: »
    thats only two schools probably on the mountain schools in ni never shut!

Plenty of schools closed in my area, more frost and ice than anything ,i dont think i ever seen the roads as bad with ice as i did today, its great for a good slide though. :pac:[/QUOTE]

were do you live?

yea some mild spell this is maxes going down now to around -1/2c upto and on christmas day then going upto only 2c so this is no mild spell thank god.. will likely change!

• Advertisement

Well it could get mild later on Xmas day / stephens day. It's all fairly unpredictable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Temperature reached a Today all time low just now -.2c

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Should we be expecting any more snow around North Tipperary/Limerick areas tonight?

owenc wrote: »
    Plenty of schools closed in my area, more frost and ice than anything ,i dont think i ever seen the roads as bad with ice as i did today, its great for a good slide though. :pac:

were do you live?[/quote]
    sorry if i mislead u , i dont live in the english invaded part of northern ireland , i live in the irish part of northern ireland that is donegal lol, But i can see how schools wouldnt be closed up at yous , theres better roads up there and plus its not run by the irish! :):(

Should we be expecting any more snow around North Tipperary/Limerick areas tonight?

Met Eireann says "the odd wintry shower in western coastal districts". Doesn't sound too promising.

• Advertisement

Pangea wrote: »
    were do you live?
    sorry if i mislead u , i dont live in the english invaded part of northern ireland , i live in the irish part of northern ireland that is donegal lol, But i can see how schools wouldnt be closed up at yous , theres better roads up there and plus its not run by the irish! :):([/QUOTE]

what are you talkig about......:rolleyes:

owenc wrote: »
    sorry if i mislead u , i dont live in the english invaded part of northern ireland , i live in the irish part of northern ireland that is donegal lol, But i can see how schools wouldnt be closed up at yous , theres better roads up there and plus its not run by the irish! :):(

what are you talkig about......:rolleyes:[/quote]
    Judging by your question to where i lived i thought u assumed i lived in northern ireland and that loads of schools where closed there .
    Rolling ur eyes is rude

:rolleyes::P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    hehe. you are like leslie neilson in Airplane who keeps coming in to the cockpit during the emergency landing saying ' Just to let you know, we are all counting on you'

Lol, Great film!

Although no snow it's -1.8c here already near Arklow.
    The ice today is so hard it can take my full weight!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Some of the foot paths around Limerick City will be lethal tonight, I was slipping around on them and that was only at 4PM.

-2.2c now
    dropping fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Blimey its dropping like a stone out there, ive got beer outside in "Gods fridge" what temp does beer freeze (5%)? May have to get it inside!

I'm pretty sure the last time I saw beer freeze , it was at the top of the red run in livigno and it was around -18c..
    Think you might be safe enough on that score :D

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

-1.5c here in Waterford and dropping fast....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Icing over quickly out there tonight, going to be a real cold one methinks.

Wonder what will stop the fall? No cloud, very light winds off the land.

Could get to -5c here i reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Never seen the temp drop as it is at the moment. gone from .5c to -1.4c in less than an hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

UKM have that feature for Wednesday too.

Rukm601.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

-0.5c here with a light but freezing fog. Any ice melt on the roads today is well and truly frozen over now. Can barely even walk on the paths not mind drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

-2c now with a freezing fog to boot !

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Drummer Mummer

0 deg right now and cloudy, light westerly winds. Not a snow flake in sight and no frost either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Oooooh Donegal got a mention on 6.1 news.
    Hope we get it as bad as he says. :)
    big freeze fit us all to new year says the man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Six One Forecast

Cold to last until New Years eve, temp will drop back again 27th after some slightly milder weather

rain or snow xmas day not sure yet but winds turn back North then. Freezing fog could last all day in the coming days

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

It's passing -2 here in offaly, feels like it will go much lower. The yard of loose stones feels like concrete here, they are frozen together, even jumping on them will not displace them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Nice educational forecast from the Eagle there....I hope you were all watching ;)

Also a positive forecast in terms of the cold continuing into the New Year and possible snow later this week (for the rest of the country) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

john eagleton of met eireann has suggested that the forecast mild spell during christmas day and st. stephens day will be temporary with a return to northerly winds there after and a dip in temperatures. He also said there is a possibilty of snow on christmas day but that they were uncertain at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement