Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lapwings in Lucan

• 21-12-2009 11:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭

fyi: -Saw a few lapwings on the M4 East bound yesterday then more going past the superquinn junction.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Small flock hanging around a few fields in North Kildare last few days. Wonderful to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Saw 19 this morning in Ballycoolin, near Finglas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Flock of 50 to 60 outside Bray yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Whoops... I actually read this thread title wrong... it was waxwings I saw, so keep the eyes peeled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what are the chances of seeing them in the west > Co Clare ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

fryup wrote: »
    what are the chances of seeing them in the west > Co Clare ??

Pretty good if it doesn't get too cold. They will always fly south to escape freezing conditions. Go for a walk cross country, open grassland is best, and you should come across a flock or two. Listen for the 'pee-wit' call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

We are really mixing up our Lapwing and Waxwing threads here.:p I think Fryup was asking about Waxwings.

Lapwings are resident throughout Ireland all year round with larger Winter populations gathering in the South West. You can literally find them in any county at any time, regardless of weather conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭bdo

I've never seen Lapwing at my home before but Christmas day I saw 20-25 crossing above my house in Bray. Sure sing of how cold it is. Also had fieldfares and redwings on the green in my suburban housing estate in Bray this morning, which is also very unusual. Definite evidence over last few clear mornings of more arrivals in Bray from UK and Continent of more thrushes.

Advertisement