Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish NOGI Submission Championships 2010

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

hey guys, the ibjjf rules are vague, and i would like some clarification in relation to toe holds, kneebars, and footlocks.

I will be competing at intermediate, which gus stated is blue-purple belt rules, at the informed performance comp we were allowed kneebar at intermediate, is it the same for this? as well id love to find out about the rules sorrounding toeholds...

barry, gus, dave?

Cheers!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Liam_B

If intermediate is classed as = BLUE/PURPLE in relation to the IBJJF rules.
    Then toe holds , Knee Bars, are not allowed under the IBJJF rules.

The only foot lock allowed under IBJJF rules for BLUE/PURPLE is Achilles straight foot lock.

This link should help out in relation to restrictions for IBJJF rules. (nice diagram of restrictions by belt )

http://sfuk.tripod.com/technique_legality.bmp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭David Jones

what is the obsession with leg locks? ;) The only leg lock allowed as Liam stated at beginner and intermediate is the straight ankle. Every leg lock bar heel hook is allowed at advanced.

You guys ever hear of passing guard and an arm bar? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

At every rules meeting there are 300 questions about leglocks and one about neck cranks. No one ever even tries a leglock and someone always gets DQed for cranking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭Marty Mc

concerning leg locks..

its always that 'grey area' where everyone doesnt know what to expect.

You wouldnt want a member of your club asking you 'are there any leglocks' and you reassure them by saying 'no'..

then they come back from there match limping because they just got ankle locked..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭gusuk

Liam_B wrote: »
    If intermediate is classed as = BLUE/PURPLE in relation to the IBJJF rules.
    Then toe holds , Knee Bars, are not allowed under the IBJJF rules.

The only foot lock allowed under IBJJF rules for BLUE/PURPLE is Achilles straight foot lock.

This link should help out in relation to restrictions for IBJJF rules. (nice diagram of restrictions by belt )

http://sfuk.tripod.com/technique_legality.bmp

Thanks for that. Hope it is a bit clear now. I will clarify all that before the competition and UPDATE you guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Gus, are you UK based?

is there a fear that the flight, volcano problems will stop you getting over?

hey Gus,

One of our guys has entered but done himself an injury. But I have decided to jump in since my injury has healed. My question is if I can use his entry? Different divisions but same payment?

Let me know,

Barry

Gus, are you UK based?

is there a fear that the flight, volcano problems will stop you getting over?

I hope it will not be a problem. I am going to check on this

• Advertisement

hey Gus,

One of our guys has entered but done himself an injury. But I have decided to jump in since my injury has healed. My question is if I can use his entry? Different divisions but same payment?

Let me know,

Barry

Not a problem at all. I have asked him to send me the information across

• Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭BobbyOLeary

gusuk wrote: »
    Money will be refunded back to your card. I will get on right now.

Best
    Gus

Just checked my emails and I've received back that £5. Thanks a million Gus, couldn't ask for more. Hope the ash cloud doesn't call a halt to the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

How do,

I dont have a paypal account, can i pay on the day?

Chris89 wrote: »
    How do,

I dont have a paypal account, can i pay on the day?

Please email me. sales@grabandpull.co.uk or phone number and I will call you and sort it out over the Phone.

Just checked my emails and I've received back that £5. Thanks a million Gus, couldn't ask for more. Hope the ash cloud doesn't call a halt to the competition.

I am getting a bit worry about this ash situation. I will look into the ferry tomorrow and what option we would have. mother nature will not tap as out!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭crosdad

Is there a deadline for registration?

• Advertisement

gusuk wrote: »
    Not a problem at all. I have asked him to send me the information across
    Cool. Thanks for that.

I believe Friday is the deadline, there are no registrations on the day, and please ensure you are in the correct weight category, you will NOT be moved down or up, it is up to you to be on weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

This thread is really confusing. Is it about one event or a half dozen? The dates listed in the first post seem to have come and gone. I'm looking for a submission grappling tournament over the summer for 4 - 8 fighters from beginner to advanced, anyone have any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

this one is on this saturday, there are a few BJJ GI comps coming up in the next few months then

Boston wrote: »
    This thread is really confusing. Is it about one event or a half dozen? The dates listed in the first post seem to have come and gone. I'm looking for a submission grappling tournament over the summer for 4 - 8 fighters from beginner to advanced, anyone have any suggestions?

We are running a NOGI comp this sarurday. Hope to see you there

• Advertisement

Hi Guys here is the first list. please have a look, check your club name, your name, weight category and level.

http://www.grabandpull.co.uk/comps/f.list-upload.pdf

All the best
    Gus

PS: See you all on Saturday!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dukenukem001

This is James Rowlinson, is there any chance of moving up into the category above (middle heavy I think), just for safety, as I'm teetering on the edge of 82.3kg and don't want to travel down and not compete

gus i sent you an email about mine, Joey breslin, Intermediate under 70kg, sbg, no reply about credit card??

Mats have been delivered, competition areas will be set up tonight. Some excellent competitors have signed up, a pity a lot of the country's best competitors shy away. People are always asking for competitions and when they are put on, you get divisions with 3 and 4 people in them. Shame.

Looking forward to a good day of competition regardless and there are some very tasty matches across all divisions.

Hi Gus,

Email sent, probably such a bad idea, but Chris Leddy, advanced middle, if you could let me know if that ok as with da-bres above, cheers.

Also, is there going to be a 0.5kg allowance in weight and are compedidors allowed wear cups?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Fights start at 10 right? So we should be there at 9, 9.30?
    Also how do the fights work, round robin or knockout?

^^as above..

Gus/dave,

we have to travel a fair distance and some concrete clarification of the schedule for the day would be appreciated.

Thanx..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Have also sent you an email there Gus to sales@grabandpull.co.uk.

additional registration just added Gus, & need to change details to team member, email sent. thanx

Gus and Chris just arrived at hotel

Competition starts at 10am

Be at venue for Rules meeting at 930am, this is vital considering the amount of questions most people have about leglocks etc ;)

Weighins will happen for first divisions first and then once those divisions have started everyone else will be called up.

• Advertisement

And yes there will be an absolute division on the day. :D

Great tournament, well set up, organised and officiated. Really high standard of grappling in the advanced divisions

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭The Shane

Really high standard of grappling in the advanced divisions

Was upset that I missed it until I heard that.

Seriously, upset that I missed it - haven't been training for a while due to work and some little injuries. Would place money on it that it was a great comp.

Shane, The

Barry thank you for supporting the event and glad to see you are back on the mend.

Firstly apologies to those guys who were there on time, that the start was an hour late. If everyone had arrived when you did, the event would have commenced at 10am as advertised and not 11am. Gus and Chris were nice enough to hold off for latecomers and those who were "on their way".
    This meant that the day was pushed on and no absolute could be held as Chris and Gus had a plane to catch so those competitors looking to do absolute you have only your fellow competitors to blame Im afraid.

Thank you to all who turned up yes even those who were late. Events like this dont organise or pay for themselves, mats, halls, etc all cost money and take time to set up, so by supporting events like these, you make them more possible in the future.

There were some very entertaining and exciting matches of a high standard across all the divisions and hopefully everyone got a chance to test themselves outside of their club comfort zone.

Big thank yous, firstly to Gus and Chris for running the tournament, Darragh McCarthy,Ciaran Leahy, Eoin and Richie for running tables at various stages, to Darragh McC, Darragh O C and Joe Ruddock for assisting with mat put away. To Liam Beechinor and Darragh O C for stepping in to do some reffing when neither myself nor Gus could see anymore due to hunger. To Gillian who stays and sets up venues time and time again and today came to the rescue with the most well timed MORO bars and lucozades in history.

Thanks to Ross G for competing and not really showing how much pain he was in from that dislocation. You are a warrior mate.

Finally, pre registration means pre registration, in future do it early, ie not 11pm the night before, enter the correct division , not one 7kg shy of where you can make. Enter your club and name correctly. This all will assist the smoother running of a tournament together with turning up ON TIME!

The next one Gus has in the UK is on 8 yes 8 matted areas, I would love to see the day where we could do something similar where everyone preregistered and got behind the sport in this country and organisers werent left wondering if we might just get close to breaking even on this one. Much like in Jerry Maguire, your word that you will turn up and that "your word is as strong as oak", just isnt good enough or cost efficient anymore.

Hope you all enjoyed, it will be awhile till the next one.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 rynkov

Hello. If anyone has the official results of the competitions?

Great Atmophere! Great matches! Great Competition, well run. Thanks for the hard work gone into this.

Barry thank you for supporting the event and glad to see you are back on the mend.

Firstly apologies to those guys who were there on time, that the start was an hour late. If everyone had arrived when you did, the event would have commenced at 10am as advertised and not 11am. Gus and Chris were nice enough to hold off for latecomers and those who were "on their way".
    This meant that the day was pushed on and no absolute could be held as Chris and Gus had a plane to catch so those competitors looking to do absolute you have only your fellow competitors to blame Im afraid.

Thank you to all who turned up yes even those who were late. Events like this dont organise or pay for themselves, mats, halls, etc all cost money and take time to set up, so by supporting events like these, you make them more possible in the future.

There were some very entertaining and exciting matches of a high standard across all the divisions and hopefully everyone got a chance to test themselves outside of their club comfort zone.

Big thank yous, firstly to Gus and Chris for running the tournament, Darragh McCarthy,Ciaran Leahy, Eoin and Richie for running tables at various stages, to Darragh McC, Darragh O C and Joe Ruddock for assisting with mat put away. To Liam Beechinor and Darragh O C for stepping in to do some reffing when neither myself nor Gus could see anymore due to hunger. To Gillian who stays and sets up venues time and time again and today came to the rescue with the most well times MORO bars and lucozades in history.

Thanks to Ross G for competing and not really showing how much pain he was in from that dislocation. You are a warrior mate.

Finally, pre registration means pre registration, in future do it early, ie not 11pm the night before, enter the correct division , not one 7kg shy of where you can make. Enter your club and name correctly. This all will assist the smoother running of a tournament together with turning up ON TIME!

The next one Gus has in the UK is on 8 yes 8 matted areas, I would love to see the day where we could do something similar where everyone preregistered and got behind the sport in this country and organisers werent left wondering if we might just get close to breaking even on this one. Much like in Jerry Maguire, your word that you will turn up and that "your word is as strong as oak", just isnt good enough or cost efficient anymore.

Hope you all enjoyed, it will be awhile till the next one.............

Great comp and i must say that i totally agree about the advanced divisions..some very, very slick guys. It shows that the level has undoubtedly gone up massively over the last number of years.

After reading that post i can only think of two words - 'nail' and 'head'..i dont understand y people dont get behind comps to help the sport grow. Its a real pity.

Anyways..thanx for having us..

Martin..

Cobra Martial Arts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭NG-DOC

Agree with all of the above, really well run tournament, some really cool matches and a deadly atmosphere.

Just as Marty said, it really is a shame that more people don't make it out to tournaments. I remember when i was first starting out the NSC was the one tournament a year where you could guarantee a solid turnout and was the one everyone wanted to win. Think the scene could really do with something like this again.

In my opinion, the best way to get better at jiu jitsu is to compete, and people are really missing out by not doing so.

Thanks to Dave and the guys from Grab and Pull for putting on a professional tournament and hopefully next time we'll get the turnout to make it even better.

Darragh

awesome tournie, so well run, the most organised iv been to in ireland.. some epic fights, and yeah ross glynn is obviously made of iron or some other form of metal, i almost cried when i heard that crack! beast!

• Advertisement

No problem Dave it felt great to compete. My division was excellent I would have liked to have had a good run at it. There were lots of really strong divisions and some of the intermediates were excellent too.

No problem Dave it felt great to compete. My division was excellent I would have liked to have had a good run at it. There were lots of really strong divisions and some of the intermediates were excellent too.

Hi Guys just got back at home, had a lovely shower check on the little one the big daughter and the beautiful wife, so that is good.

now i would like to thanks Davis and all the crew, you guys were amazing. Ireland is a beautiful country with really friendly people.

The day was great some really good fighters and a awesome atmosphere. For the next one it will be bigger, we are looking for a 4 to 6 matted area and I truly believe that you guys will carry on training hard and bring more guys to compete. This is the only way for BJJ,NOGI to get bigger, I remember back in 91 in Rio when we had a few major competitions and not many people outside of Rio knew about BJ, So I think the national progressing for BJJ in Ireland is to grow get more popular and also to produce good fighters

Once again Many thanks and we shall see you soon.

PS: I was think to Run A GI tournament over in ireland later in the year!!! let me know if it is a good idea.

GUs.
    PS: http://www.grabandpull.co.uk/comps/irish2010result.pdf

You wouldn't play for a football team and only go to training. There was a good turnout but as Darragh said, The NSC in UCD used to have huge divisions and everyone wanted to win. The only way to make this happen again is to get everybody to come to every tournament and support the scene.

Great day out all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭stevemc01

I'd just like to thank Dave and the guys from grab and pull for organising the event too. It was a well run event, the only let down once again being the competitors who either turned up late or turned up on the day without registering.

I just don't understand why people will not support these events in larger numbers. They complain about not having enough events and then wont turn out for the events that are organised. You cant expect people to continue to run these events at a loss.

It doesnt matter if you lose, you learn more about yourself and what areas you have to improve in by competing. Its not all about bringing home a medal.

Well done to all who won their divisions and all who competed and thanks again to Dave, Gus and Chris for organising it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

stevemc01 wrote: »

It doesnt matter if you lose, you learn more about yourself and what areas you have to improve in by competing. Its not all about bringing home a medal.

It does matter if you lose, it means you only get one fight. There was no repechage system, just simple single elimination. The NSC was popular because you were guaranteed a couple of fights.

This isn't a personal attack on the organisers, I understand what official BJJ tournament rules are and how they run. The single-elimination system is the quickest and most direct way to find the best person in the category, therefore, it is all about winning. I wouldn't go to these type of competitions if I didn't feel I had a decent chance of getting to the final.

It does matter if you lose, it means you only get one fight. There was no repechage system, just simple single elimination. The NSC was popular because you were guaranteed a couple of fights.

Kevin at the last NSC 25% or more of the competition was made up of Next Generation students, Colm can verify. I have been involved directly or indirectly in running tournaments since 2002, I can name clubs in Dublin that have never sent students to any tournament I have run whether it be King of the Mat, the NG Pro team tournament and again yesterday (although i wasnt directly involved in running yesterday). Next Generation have travelled to EFR gym in Antrim, to Belfast, to Limerick, to Baldoyle, to UCD, to Warrenpoint and more recently and unfortunately to SAPO's last effort. Darragh and Ross have both competed in the UK at no small expense to themselves at ground control and the British NOGI open because there arent enough tournaments in this country. I encourage and also transport students to other peoples tournaments to support the sport whether its round robin, knockout, whatever, as its the only way for

1.The sport to grow.
    2. For my students to test themselves out of their own gyms comfort zone.

I run tournaments, not to make money but to offer people a chance to compete in a well run and safe environment. I have even run one for Charity. The last team tournament made a loss, everyone got medals, the winning team got €500 and every single fighter got a fighter pack with gatorade, nutrigrain and jellys to keep them going. I had 7 teams turn up out of 10 that promised to show up?? It was run with double elimination so everyone got more than one fight.

People just cant be bothered to pay up front as I have said before, they assume its some kind of scam. They would prefer to go out and get pissed and blow 50 euro or more that way. I had this talk with Barry yesterday, He was let down by at least 8 people at the Mendes Seminar, I lost money again on Chris Brennan coming over. I had every intention of bringing Saulo Ribeiro back this Summer but Saulo charges $3500 plus expenses, flights etc Do you honestly think I can risk people saying they will turn up and then not doing so sometimes at the last minute??

Shane Rice a Rickson yes Rickson Gracie Black Belt is at my gym this Saturday for a seminar, I still dont know if everyone who said they will come will come, I will have to pay out of my own pocket as I have done on many occasions if they dont.

Yesterday there would have been an absolute had people turned up on time and the lads would not have had to head to the airport. If you dont want to compete because you might not get to the final, thats a strange way to look at the world. How about individuals and clubs support a sport they are supposed to love, whether its a seminar or a tournament and not put at risk the future of such events which are run on good will in many cases. I for one even before yesterday said I will never be involved in running one again, its too much of a financial risk when the Irish attitude is Sure it doesnt matter if I dont go after saying I would.

Chris will continue to visit and teach seminars up North as long as people like Peter Lavery, Rodney Moore and Pol Murray are interested in hosting him but I cant see the Dublin one going ahead again. I dont believe there is more money up North, I just believe that whether its MMA or BJJ they are light years ahead of us in terms of supporting events.

A big thank you to Marty Mc, Liam Beechinor and Josie Murray who all brought students yesterday following long journeys up, down and across the country even though they werent guaranteed more than one fight. That IS support.

Rant over.

• Advertisement

This isn't a personal attack on the organisers, I understand what official BJJ tournament rules are and how they run. The single-elimination system is the quickest and most direct way to find the best person in the category, therefore, it is all about winning. I wouldn't go to these type of competitions if I didn't feel I had a decent chance of getting to the final.

Try your best not to lose then, at the very least you will have had one very competitive match!

I cant remember only having one match at a tournament ever, but i can remember having less matches than i had hoped for, obviously on the back to losing one or two of them. And i probably took more from those tournaments than the ones i medalled in.

Stop complaining and sign up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

had to leave before the advanced divisions got going, didnt see piotr stawski in the medals list , did somebody beat him?

Hi Guys

Just a note. At all grab and pull competition we run single elimination, for the simple reason, that is how the. Also I do not believe in a world that favors the loser and give them another opportunity to win after they have lost. So single elimination is here to stay.

Another thing there are many ways to help your local comp, without having to compete. Not every guys in the world will like to compete, but that does not means he or she is not part of our sport. Why not help on the table, referees, medical, MC, helping to promote.

BJJ gi and nogi still growing across Europe and we all need comps, clubs and so on to get together to push it forwards.

Once again I would like to thank you all for the support at the comp. We will be back for sure. And I hope to see you all there!!!!!!

Kieran81 wrote: »
    had to leave before the advanced divisions got going, didnt see piotr stawski in the medals list , did somebody beat him?

He didnt compete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I wasn't complaining, nor am I criticising. I'm giving a reason why some people don't make the effort to go to some competitions. I've gone to competitions all around Ireland and I've definitely lost more matches than I've won. I've been at competitions Dave Jones has ran and I've competed against his students and I know how much work and effort the Next Generation Guys put into the sport.

So my reason (and some other people's reason) for not attending this or similar competitions is because I wasn't at my best and didn't want to turn up and lose first fight by decision and spend 4 hours watching other people compete then go home. My reason wasn't that i'm too frugal to pay 20 pound/30 euro for a entry fee, not because I've some political problem with Next Generation or Grab and Pull or basically too selfish to bother my hole on a Saturday morning.

Just offering my opinion and will make a mental note to compete more on local level.

• Advertisement
Advertisement