Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for a new drill - please.

• 21-12-2009 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭

My last drill - a mains powered Black and Decker with hammer action, burned out a couple of months back and I want to buy a new one.

I don't want a battery operated drill because I don't use it that often, and when I do I want it to be ready to roll.

I'd like one with hammer action.

I'd also like advice on electric saws and if it's possible to buy a saw attachment for a drill.

If anyone knows of good deals in my area - south Dublin - I'd be grateful.

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭joeduggan

you cant go past hilti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

How much are you going to use the drill or saw? What is your typical usage going to be? You can spend any where from €30 to €1000 on either.

If its just for general DIY you should be able to get something ok for around €50. You'll probably get a low end bosch model for about €60.

Don't bother with a "saw attachment", just buy a cheap circular / jig saw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Ryobi, do a good selection of DIY Gear.. similar in quality to Bosch's Green coloured DIY range.

I
    don't want a battery operated drill because I don't use it that often, and when I do I want it to be ready to roll

I have about 4 cordless drills. range from 9.6v to 18v with and without hammer action.

Most drills have 2 batteries, i always charge a battery when it runs down, even if im not going to use it, so when you do need it its chargesd. A cordless is very handy, and if you only need the hammeraction for a few holes for plugs, its the best choice imo, because a corded drill isnt really any use for driving screws

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,127 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Better to get two tools if you need masonry drilling and screwdriving, instead of trying to find one that will sort-of do both.

I used to have a Bosch 24V drill/driver, but it really wasn't up to masonry drilling (had to drill into a lintel for a curtain rail, it just couldn't cope) and was too heavy for screwdriving - boarding the kitchen floor took 600 screws so a lighter driver would have been appreciated. It died after two years DIY use which was crap really - got no help from Bosch and won't buy Bosch green tools again.

I got a Makita SDS drill in B&Q for about 120 euro which goes through concrete like butter - 3 sets of bits were included. It doesn't have chisel mode but I wouldn't have a use for that anyway.

More recently I got a Makita 14.4V cordless drill/driver in McQuillans for 150 euro including 2 batteries, it's much lighter in the hand than the old Bosch and no complaints so far.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

cant go wrong with dewalt or hilti

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

sullzz wrote: »
    cant go wrong with dewalt or hilti

Hiltis aren't designed for diy.

The makita sds drill that ninja posted about ,sounds like a good drill.

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Hiltis aren't designed for diy.

The makita sds drill that ninja posted about ,sounds like a good drill.
    did the o.p. specify that it was soley for d.i.y.

also makitas would not be desinged for d.i.y . ryobi, black and decker , or bosch would be more for d.i.y.

Dinarius wrote: »
    I don't want a battery operated drill because I don't use it that often, and when I do I want it to be ready to roll.
    did the o.p. specify that it was soley for d.i.y.

Relax there rambo.

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Relax there rambo.
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Alpha10

Paragon in tallaght where doing a deal no so long ago for 2 panasonic 15v drills with 2 batteries and a bag for 200. 1 has hammer action the other is drill/driver.

I have both drills. Hammer action is 6 years old and paid 450 then and drill/driver is 3 and paid 250. Great drills both still going strong and are used (properly) most days.

• Advertisement

Hey yoshytoshy are you not going to tell Alpha10 that the O.P. does not want a battery drill

Hey yoshytoshy are you not going to tell Alpha10 that the O.P. does not want a battery drill

It depends on what he'll do to you with it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

aldi 49 euro. iv abused it for a year now and its still going strong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

joeduggan wrote: »
    you cant go past hilti.

until you see the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

would advise picking up an argos catolouge if ur only planning to use it now and again,my father usually buys his tools from there with 1-2 years guarantee for cheap and returns them once they stop and recieves a brand new one.

im in the construction trade myself and mainly use battery drills have a 24 volt hitachi drill for masonary driling and a 18 volt ryobi kit with drill,grinder,light,angle drill,bag,and most important a radio.both are extremly good drills have had no trouble with them and meet all my needs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

I bought a dewalt 24 volt combi (drill & breaker) when 24 volts first came out, I must have drill close to 5 even 6 years, I've drilled thousands of holes up to 3/4 " and broke out hundreds of holes along with chasing walls, never once has drill stopped working, still using same 3 batteries from new. Best drill I've ever used and I've used them all, only cost 500 euro at time, no idea what price they are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Eyeballs

if it's a corded drill your after then keep an eye on lidl, they usually have one come out in early feb. I bought mine 4 years ago(39 euro) I think the last time I saw them they were 59 euro. This drill has taken serious punishment from me over the years from putting down decking to chasing walls and still keeps going. If its cordless then you cant beat dewalt, I priced one locally and it was 457 euro, I searched on ebay and got the drill from one lad the charger from another and 2 batteries from someone else and saved nearly 250 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,127 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

DeWalt used to be pro but I heard they now come in DIY and pro grades, B&Q had an offer on a DeWalt drill/driver a couple of months ago so maybe this is true.

Hilti is serious overkill for DIY use, not all tradesmen can afford them :)

Axminster.co.uk have some good prices on tools, check the shipping cost on heavy stuff though. I've ordered some hand tools off them and found them very good. Until recently it was the only place I could buy metric-only measuring tapes :( ffs, the building trade in the UK has been all-metric since 1971 or something, sheets of ply or plasterboard or pipe fixtures or what have you are almost always in metric for years now (Irish imperial pipe fittings being one of the few exceptions left) so FFS why keep flogging measuring tapes when one side of them is useless!!! :mad:

Edit: for anyone who has used 'hammer action' drills, the first time you get your hands on an SDS drill is amazing :) a job that could have taken 5 minutes with a mains hammer drill takes a few seconds - literally.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Agree on the SDS, got a 24V (Silverline Pro) hammer cordless and a corded SDS (Draper) from Amazon, between them, they handle any job :)

Advertisement