Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JANUARY Boards meet up!

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Karaoke Night (just to keep itsallabouttheL happy :P)
    I was amazed. at first glance when I rocked in I thought ye must be down the other end, thinking there'd never be that many!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

Dinner
    deRanged wrote: »
    I was amazed. at first glance when I rocked in I thought ye must be down the other end, thinking there'd never be that many!

Perhaps times are changing, maybe a lot of people want to expand their social circle - I know I certainly do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

colblimp wrote: »
    Perhaps times are changing, maybe a lot of people want to expand their social circle - I know I certainly do.

+1 there is less of a stigma attached to meeting "peoples off da internet"! I wil defo show my face at the next boards beers :D

corkcomp wrote: »
    there is less of a stigma attached to meeting "peoples off da internet"!

:o That's one of the reasons I would be slow to go to one. Defo a stigma attached still.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭lukin

RoverJames wrote: »
    :o That's one of the reasons I would be slow to go to one. Defo a stigma attached still.

I don't agree with that at all. The internet is such a big part of everyday life now I think the "stigma" of meeting people you only know from it has disappeared.
    I woul have agreed with you a few years back but not now. It was my first time at a boards meet up and I'm glad I went. It was great to finally put names to faces.

• Advertisement

would agree there, and once ya meet up with folks once the internet thing isnt an issue then. id be slightly apprehensive about meeting a big group of strangers, the fact that they are from boards wouldnt bother me:D anyway, what better way to get to know people that over copious a few beers

Yeah, dunno though, as I said it is a factor that would make me slow to go. Although I was considering driving to Portugal for a Rover Coupe meet with lads off a Rover forum, I didn't feel any stigma with that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Yeah, dunno though, as I said it is a factor that would make me slow to go. Although I was considering driving to Portugal for a Rover Coupe meet with lads off a Rover forum, I didn't feel any stigma with that :)
    The mg-rover.org guys? :p - Good guys on that...my second most active forum ha.

Dinner

Oh please, this is 2010, not 1910! So are you saying myself and the people I met last night are weirdo's? Because nothing could be further from the truth - everyone, even possibly me (!), are normal, everyday human beings. Come to the next meet-up - you'll have a great time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

I'd also be slow to go! I keep thinking sure fcuk it I'm going but keeping backing out last minute. :)

• Advertisement

Webmonkey wrote: »
    The mg-rover.org guys? :p - Good guys on that...my second most active forum ha.

Nope, I'm not on .org (or .cult as it is known), RoverTech.net :)
    Oh please, this is 2010, not 1910! So are you saying myself and the people I met last night are weirdo's? Because nothing could be further from the truth - everyone, even possibly me (!), are normal, everyday human beings. Come to the next meet-up - you'll have a great time!

Not saying ye are wierdo's at all, all I'm saying is that I would be slow to go, that's just me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Nope, I'm not on .org (or .cult as it is known), RoverTech.net :)

Not saying ye are wierdo's at all, all I'm saying is that I would be slow to go, that's just me

Ah must check that one out. Yeah I can see where you are coming from, it's just you feel it personally. That's ok too but I can assure you we are very normal people ;)
    NoDice wrote: »
    I'd also be slow to go! I keep thinking sure fcuk it I'm going but keeping backing out last minute. :)

We'll need to take photo graphic evidence that we not aliens :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I get where you're coming from - a few years ago you'd have been more correct. these days, social media is so prevalent that basically everyone it on it. So you get a normal cross section of society turning up.
    it's not like in "the old days" where it was all tech heads, and to be fair to us, we are weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Ha ha Webmonkey I believe yer all human, I dunno though, I'm even slow to go to staff parties sometimes unless someone in my circle of friends is there!

I can see myself turning up at a boards beers, randomly walking up to seventeen completely different groups of strangers - none of whom are any of the people on boards! Finally finding you guys (by now I am dishevelled, dripping with sweat and gasping for air), and saying something completely irrelevant and mumbled like "DOGGAGAAAAGGGGAAAGAAGAGAVBJHBK!!!!!!!" and then downing alot of shots to boost my confidence.. Only for you guys to find me passed out.. Under a table... Only five minutes after my strange, introductive outburst...

The end.

Taa-daa!!

NoDice wrote: »
    I can see myself turning up at a boards beers, randomly walking up to seventeen completely different groups of strangers - none of whom are any of the people on boards! Finally finding you guys (by now I am dishevelled, dripping with sweat and gasping for air), and saying something completely irrelevant and mumbled like "DOGGAGAAAAGGGGAAAGAAGAGAVBJHBK!!!!!!!" and then downing alot of shots to boost my confidence.. Only for you guys to find me passed out.. Under a table... Only five minutes after my strange, introductive outburst...

The end.

Taa-daa!!

sure whats wrong with that? good laugh, and your be locked as an added bonus:D ive been posting on boards for ages but never went to a boards event, i reckon i might have time to now .. I think we should make a pact - all newbies at the next beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I had planned on posting sooner but of course boards got hacked :(

Thanks to everyone who turned up on Wednesday! As cheesy as it might sound, seeing the smiles on everyone's faces and people having fun makes all the planning worthwhile!! A big thanks to everyone who came!!

I can't believe we had 12 people bowling :eek:(with 2/3 others joining us at the pub afterwards) :eek: I am still gobsmacked! Now lets see if I can remember all 12 seeing as I always do a post meet-up analysis!

1- kingtut - such a great guy, simply amazing :rolleyes:

2- Nursemar88 - I beat you at bowling ha ha! but you did beat me at air hockey dammit :(

3- webmonkey - You are probably solely responsible for getting everyone to go to the pub after words :D

4- save_our_socks - that sure was some tasty looking 'coke' you had in that bottle :pac:

5- mik_da_man - for a guy with his own bowling ball i expected a better score from you, i suppose we all have our off days ;)

6- Tirabaralla - you came to this all the way from Dublin, you are either crazy, obsessed, miss us a lot or just really keen, not sure which?! Thanks for coming, was lovely to see you!

7- miss_shadow - nice to see you as always, shame there was no pub for you afterwards, even I was dragged along!!

8- oeb - very nice to meet you! I hope you come again next time! WITCH WITCH WITCH BURN THE WITCH :P

9- colblimp - you sure are one cool guy! hope i see you at more meet ups! i could have chatted to you all day, it was like as though you go to meet ups all the time :) 100% sound!

10- 30something2010 - I got to chat to you a good bit in the bowling alley, it was lovely to meet you and I felt at ease talking to you. I certainly hope you come to another meetup! Very sweet and chatty :)

11- Papa_Lazarou - didn't have to help you get into the bar this time so I now feel useless :( can you make yourself look younger next time?

12- deRanged ? apologies can't remember if it was you lol :o help!

I noticed at least two people taking pictures, if you intend on putting them up on boards please ask permission of the people in the photos first! Otherwise a mod will prob come along and shove a big pointy stick where the sun don't shine :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭save_our_socks

kingtut wrote: »

4- save_our_socks - that sure was some tasty looking 'coke' you had in that bottle :pac:

I wasnt the only one drinking from it....I had some help!

I wasnt the only one drinking from it....I had some help!

Ye from your invisible friend :pac: ah no I must admit you did offer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

Ye from your invisible friend :pac: ah no I must admit you did offer :)

I'm not invisible :)

I'm not invisible :)

Who said that :confused: :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 30something2010

Beers
    Hey everyone!
    just managed to log on now after the website was blocked the other day from the hackers. Had a great time the other night at the Leisureplex. Thanks to everyone who turned up. Will see ye again at the next meet-up. If anyone is interested in movies and going to the cinema, please check out the Cork Cinema Nights thread as there are some good movies in at the moment and some of us are planning to go and see some of them.

Well it is still January so I can still suggest things for this month! Here we go:

The ICE SKATING rink (www.corkonice.com) where Live at the Marquee is open until the 31st! (was meant to be the 17th but they extended it)....
    ..so with that in mind anyone fancy going with me on either Friday 29th or Saturday 30th at 9pm (2 for 1 tickets at that time only, regular ticket costs €12 so it will only be €6 each for 50 minutes skating!!).

The days I picked are the days that I want to go so if you are free and care to join me just let me know :)

Dinner
    Well it is still January so I can still suggest things for this month! Here we go:

The ICE SKATING rink (www.corkonice.com) where Live at the Marquee is open until the 31st! (was meant to be the 17th but they extended it)....
    ..so with that in mind anyone fancy going with me on either Friday 29th or Saturday 30th at 9pm (2 for 1 tickets at that time only, regular ticket costs €12 so it will only be €6 each for 50 minutes skating!!).

The days I picked are the days that I want to go so if you are free and care to join me just let me know :)

Wouldn't be into ice skating, I value my fingers and need all 10 of 'em!

50 minutes ice skating is unreal long, went up here in Galway before Christmas, I had more than enough after 20 minutes. Enjoy it though :)

Wouldn't be into ice skating, I value my fingers and need all 10 of 'em!

so you can afford to lose 2 of them so, most people are born with only 8 :pac:

Dinner
    so you can afford to lose 2 of them so, most people are born with only 8 :pac:

:p:p:p

No-one up for ice skating with me on Friday or Saturday? Guess I'll be going solo so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 30something2010

Beers
    Sorry, can't make ice-skating: have 2 birthday dinners this weekend (one Friday night and the other Saturday night).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭save_our_socks

No-one up for ice skating with me on Friday or Saturday? Guess I'll be going solo so :)

Nope sorry, pretty hectic schedule the next two weekends, damn 21st's and staff party!

• Advertisement

Dinner

Choose a different activity and I'll be there, even if it's just a tea/coffee/water/chat. It doesn't have to be anything amazing.

What about swimming, would anyone be up for that? Mayfield pool is my leisure centre of choice - I'm a member so it doesn't cost me anything, but a swim on Saturday is only €4.50 for non-members...

Advertisement