Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Butcher Sausages in Kildare area?

Options
  • 21-12-2009 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Would like a recommendation or 2 on where the best ones are hiding out,and to get them in my pan on Christmas morning :D.

I am quite fussy when it comes to buying the weekly ones and avoid artifically added anything in them and aim for around at least 70 % pork meat.

Not interested in the prepack supermarkets ones either this time.

I do intend trying the newish butchers in Sallins who claim they are award winning?worth the journey if so:)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Heard good things, but not tried myself, from Nolans in Kilcullen?

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Prenderb wrote: »

I tried theirs a few weeks back,and the white pudding.

Pretty good,sausages nothing to write home about and the pudding was better but still visibly grizzly.
    Very old school but a lot more competition out there,i love the Nolans shop itself,little gem;)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭jakeypooh

The Butchers Kitchen in Naas have the best breakfast sausage in Kildare for definite - their own homemade ones

Do you know where they are situated?

Edited to say I agree about Nolans, very old style butchers also and their sausuage was bland

The Butchers Kitchen do fantastic thick cut rashers also - not the thin ones that dry out in the pan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Gregsor wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Would like a recommendation or 2 on where the best ones are hiding out,and to get them in my pan on Christmas morning :D.

I am quite fussy when it comes to buying the weekly ones and avoid artifically added anything in them and aim for around at least 70 % pork meat.

Not interested in the prepack supermarkets ones either this time.

I do intend trying the newish butchers in Sallins who claim they are award winning?worth the journey if so:)

Thanks
    beside the petrol station?
    they have been there since I move here 4 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

The new butchers in Sallins is worth the trip. Their sausages are very tasty and they have lots of other good quality meat. Lovely stuffed chicken on the bone wrapped in bacon and time saving stirfries too.

The service is also very friendly. It may be because they have just opened and are full of enthusiasm, but it sure is nice to be greeted with a smile these days.

They have another shop somewhere, can't remember where though. I presume that is how they can claim they are award winning.

• Advertisement

sadie06 wrote: »
    The new butchers in Sallins is worth the trip. Their sausages are very tasty and they have lots of other good quality meat. Lovely stuffed chicken on the bone wrapped in bacon and time saving stirfries too.

The service is also very friendly. It may be because they have just opened and are full of enthusiasm, but it sure is nice to be greeted with a smile these days.

They have another shop somewhere, can't remember where though. I presume that is how they can claim they are award winning.

Just what i was looking for,i assume they have the second shop as you said.

gsxr1 no it`s not that one,i know the one your are thinking of i have seen it.

Looks like it`s a wee trip over to Sallins then,does anyone know of a unit in Kilcullen (ind area?) some ladies name on the business and they make their own,not sure if they public sales though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Nolans definitely one of the best I've tried.

jakeypooh wrote: »
    The Butchers Kitchen in Naas have the best breakfast sausage in Kildare for definite - their own homemade ones

Do you know where they are situated?

Edited to say I agree about Nolans, very old style butchers also and their sausuage was bland

The Butchers Kitchen do fantastic thick cut rashers also - not the thin ones that dry out in the pan

Thanks for that,will get the missus to pop in there whilst she shops away:D
    Should be easy enough to find,thanks.

They are opposie ballycane church just outside Naas, real easy to access from both naas and blessington since the new ring road opened

Let me know what you think, I love their ready meals also, home cooking without the preparation .....

Nothing like it

The garlic spuds are to die for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

JJ Youngs in Celbridge and in Clane have won several awards for their range of sausages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Nolans in Kilcullen. Def one of the best around

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

ronaneire wrote: »
    JJ Youngs in Celbridge and in Clane have won several awards for their range of sausages.
    yeah - see here http://www.kildare.ie/community/notices/2009/10/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

gsxr1 wrote: »
    beside the petrol station?
    they have been there since I move here 4 years ago.

There is a new butchers, open maybe 8 weeks, beside Londis, just before Des Kelly's as you come out of Sallins heading for Clane.

ronaneire wrote: »

Great to see so many people love for their bangers :D,i remember JJ Young when i was chefing in the Setanta Hotel years back he was our butcher and very very good.

With so much recommendations i think i will have to try as much of them as i can fit in over the season,keep them coming;)

After all the Breakfast on Christmas morning is nearly as important as the dinner in my house:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 keep it tidy

i second that amazing sausages :) have you tried superquinn sausages from the butcher counter only devine they are;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

nolans the only ones for here. cant imagine how anyone found them bland.
    try there chilli, course or lamb sausis if them are on - only deadly
    how did you go? what did you get in the end?

lynski wrote: »
    nolans the only ones for here. cant imagine how anyone found them bland.
    try there chilli, course or lamb sausis if them are on - only deadly
    how did you go? what did you get in the end?

I got some in the Butchers in Sallins(forget the name:o) they were ok shrank to nearly half their size while cooking and they had a slight pepperish taste which was nice but thats all i`m afraid.

I`m not a fan of any other flavour really tbh,although i did hit off nicely with a fennel and chilli version a few years back that worked well.

The saints and Scholars variety Tesco stock are quite nice for a dinner too,i just don`t have them dinner as much as for breakfast:D.

Will get back when ive tried the others,just haven`t been driving much over the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Sinann

I will only eat Nolans sausages, but than I was reared on them, and was very disappointed to discover not all sausages were like them.

Bought the sausages from the new butcher in Sallins today.

My impression was good but not the best.

they where a little to spicy for my taste.

Super Quinn is hard to top.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,024 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

homerhop wrote: »
    Nolans in Kilcullen. Def one of the best around

yes my father swears by this place and makes the 10 mile trip for the sausages!!

• Advertisement

Did you try The Butchers Kitchen home made ones???

They are fantastic

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Bought the sausages from the new butcher in Sallins today.

My impression was good but not the best.

they where a little to spicy for my taste.

Super Quinn is hard to top.

True,my daughter pointed out their pepperiness too but i liked the heat of them as oppossed to Superquinn`s over rich/salty ones.
    Did you try The Butchers Kitchen home made ones???

They are fantastic

No,:mad: and i was in Naas too the other day but pushed for time but they are on the cards for next week!

Well a little update as i went back to Link business park Kilcullen yesterday and found out the name of the co there who make thir own and it`s "Jane Russell`s" Straight Sausage Company :).
    I picked up 2 packs 1 is Traditional Irish and the other Tolouse French.
    saussies004large.jpg

Look nice,80 % Pork etc,roll on Sunday morning:p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Jane Russell has a stand every Saturday in the Naas Farmers market at the back of the storehouse. You can buy those sausages there. I have had them a couple of times and they are yum.

anewme wrote: »
    Jane Russell has a stand every Saturday in the Naas Farmers market at the back of the storehouse. You can buy those sausages there. I have had them a couple of times and they are yum.

Well they were very nice probably the best in along time,cooked beautifully with no excess fat or shrinkage and quite a balanced flavour.
    Still to try the French ones which i`m keeping for dinner.
    How much did you pay for them anewme at the market?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Cant really remember - think they might have been 5

anewme wrote: »
    Cant really remember - think they might have been 5

Thats what i paid at the shop,but i got the Tollouse thrown in gratzis!

Heard yesterday that Coffey in Sallins has shop up for sale....
    He didn't last long did he

No he didn`t,too small an area to try win over custom with the Super-Valu and all there now it must be tough,bad spot aswell he had.

Coffeys shop closed today
    Locals buycotted it supposedly don't know how true this is tho

• Advertisement

Coffeys shop closed today
    Locals buycotted it supposedly don't know how true this is tho

why?

Advertisement