Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where could I get a Sewing Machine

Options
  • 21-12-2009 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know where in Galway I would find a Sewing Machine please?

I looked in Ryans, Debenhams and Dunnes yesterday. Not sure where I would find something like it. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Rory

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Definitely the Singer shop in Middle St.

Argos.

Is it a Christmas present? TBH, I'd not be wanting something like that brought as a gift, without either a very good "swap if it's not right" policy, or the recipient being involved in the choosing. Way too much chance of getting a model without some feature that s/he considers essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

have you checked out adverts.ie if you are interested in picking up a 2nd hand one.
    get some good deals on there.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Hey.

Singers in Buttermilk Lane sell machines second hand and possibly new. Ryans homestore across from st. Nicholas Church do new ones AFAIK. Also Argos have a selection but seem to be not the newest models.

I bought mine From Bedford Sewing and Knitting Machines in the UK. Had it 2 days after I ordered by courier. Twas a good bit cheaper too than the older model in Argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

It's a christmas present. I was told there was a small one in Dunnes for like 40 euro from the person who wants it. Went to both Dunnes in town and didn't see it. I'll have to try Terryland but was wondering where in town since I live close. Thanks for all the suggestions

I know the one and honestly it's woeful, will only sew the lightest fabric and even then it could tear holes. If they're looking for one for mending and taking up trousers etc it's probably not strong enough to penetrate most fabrics at 4 thickness.

• Advertisement

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I know the one and honestly it's woeful, will only sew the lightest fabric and even then it could tear holes. If they're looking for one for mending and taking up trousers etc it's probably not strong enough to penetrate most fabrics at 4 thickness.

I know its alot to ask but is there one you could suggest?

The good brands are Singer, Pfaff and Brother IMO. However there's a cheaper brand called Babylock that I think are good, not as modern as the above and a bit noisier.

If I were you I'd go in to Singer and see what second hand ones they have, you'll be paying more than €40 though but you're guaranteed a good working machine from them.

You only really need the basic functions, straight stitch, zig-zag, adjustable stitch length, buttonholes and reverse, all machines have those functions, you'd be best getting a basic model by a good brand than a bells and whistles from a less reputable one. I have my machine 2 years and I've only used another type of stitch once.

That's brillant. Thanks for the help! Merry Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Saw a small sewing machine in Dunnes Westside today, but didn't pay attention to the price, as I was looking at kettles.

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I bought one as a present a few years back. Singers won't give you a refund if the person doesn't want it, Argos will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Go get yourselve a granny from the old folks home. My gran says their sewing machines.

Advertisement