Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A photographers dilemma

• 21-12-2009 12:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

My wife, my older son (8) and I all went to town yesterday to finish up our Christmas shopping. It was the usual pottering about, my wife spotting what she wants to buy in the after Xmas sales, my son wanting to buy anything that caught his eye and me swapping the camera from one shoulder to another.

All was fairly normal until I noticed a group all set up with the tripods, out photographing the city at night. The temptation was, of course, to go over and have a chat. Parental instinct told me to stay where I was and continue with the Xmas shop.

Don’t you just hate being an adult sometimes? :D

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Growing older is Mandatory

Growing up is optional :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

was that parental instinct that said stay with your family, or parental instinct because the crowd with tripods was young?

I wouldn't mind having a chat if someone saw me out with the camera. I'm make polite excuses and leave if it turned out they were weird/creepy/dangerous...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

that's not parental instinct, it's survival instinct :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

elven wrote: »
    was that parental instinct that said stay with your family, or parental instinct because the crowd with tripods was young?
    :confused:

Without a shadow of doubt it was to stay with my family!
    elven wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind having a chat if someone saw me out with the camera. I'm make polite excuses and leave if it turned out they were weird/creepy/dangerous...
    Most people wouldn't. I've often found myself having chats with people who are out with their camera, or vice versa. Its always nice to chat to people with similar hobbies.

that's not parental instinct, it's survival instinct :D
    :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pacman.podge

Agreed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭mindundalk

nice one

i couldn't agree more

lol lol lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

I will never forget my 2 year old being attacked by a swan while I was distracted taking pictures of an otter.

eas wrote: »
    I will never forget my 2 year old being attacked by a swan while I was distracted taking pictures of an otter.
    Crap! That must have put your heart cross ways!
    I hope everyone was ok?

I never take my eyes off a swan. I grew up around them, mean buggers when they want to be.

I made it sound a bit dramatic - long story short, the swan thought my daughters soft toy rabbit was a piece of bread or something. I heard my son shouting for me, I turned around to see the swan and my daughter having a tug of war over the rabbit. My son was jumping up and down with excitement, witch I think scared the swan off. I had no intentions on relaying the story to my wife, my son however couldn't wait. Of course I got the "it could have broken her arm" reaction.

Anyhow, either way not a good idea to turn your back on swan when kids are around,

did get a few good one's of the otter though...:)

OTTER_NOV_22_08.jpg

OTTER_NOV_22_08_e.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

its right eye looks a bit yuk

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

So you missed the shots of the attack? :eek:

Maybe if you go back again you could be lucky & it will attack again. I would used fixed focus & as high a frame count as you can. A shallow DOF would probably work best. ;)

LOL - I had a double reaction to your post eas - which gets to the heart of my point in the OP.

The first was, and I hate to admit this out loud, great photo's, it was worth the hassle! :D

The second was the poor child, she must have been upset. Not to mention what your wife would have said, cause I know what would have happened with mine :eek:

I was photographing some swans earlier this year and had to stop what I was doing because of one parent. The woman had turned her back on her young child, who was happily throwing stones at the sleeping birds. The kid was standing in the middle of the flock and aiming right at their heads. I had to go over and ask the mother to move the child, explaining that these birds weren't pigeon's.

CabanSail wrote: »
    So you missed the shots of the attack? :eek:

Maybe if you go back again you could be lucky & it will attack again. I would used fixed focus & as high a frame count as you can. A shallow DOF would probably work best. ;)
    :D:D:D

its right eye looks a bit yuk

yea - half it's nose seemed to have been missing too. Not sure what it would have been scrapping with.
    So you missed the shots of the attack?

well - there where other adults around, I considered the action sequence but then thought about the conversation with my wife about why child services are knocking at our door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

yea - half it's nose seemed to have been missing too. Not sure what it would have been scrapping with.

a swan maybe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

a swan maybe :)

:pac::pac::pac:

There are some nice shots of the otter! Did you know there was one around or did you stumble upon it?

Advertisement