Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jan- 2010 - Flash meet up

• 21-12-2009 12:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭

Following a thread from DK (http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055775134) about using a flash. It seems there are a few who have or will have a flash and would like to get a bit more help tech info on using a flash.

When : Jan 2nd week 2010 ? TBC. Jan 9th or 16th ?

What: Flash help. A pro flasher is needed so anyone who has experience in this and wouldnt mind helping out a few flashers ! It would be great if we could get a person or 2 people who has experience in both Nikon/Canon/other systems.

Where: I am unsure of where to meet but I think 6/7 people walking around Dublin CC just isnt going to work ! So maybe a park ? TBC

Gear: If you have a flash cool if not come along I am sure there will be enough to share, off shoe flash cords, softboxes, refectors, stands?
    Also it could be a good time to try before you buy ! Sun glasses are optional :cool:

If you are coming along post what stuff you plan to bring please.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I hope to be along for sure. I will be using a Nikon DSLR and a SB600. I can bring a spare Nikon SB600 and a Canon 430EX flashgun for anyone who wishes to use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Sounds very interesting!
    I've a canon, 430 ex flash and ebay triggers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

I hope to be there, will bring 580EX II & 5D MKII.
    Also have Stofen difuser which can be fitted to the 580EX II or Sigma equivalent.
    I should have a pop up reflector by then as well.
    (If I can drag my butt into Gunn's to pick one up that is)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Ill try go and bring my little flash, finally find out how to use it

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭monkeyman

Yep, wud love to go assuming the date suits. Don't have a flash yet, but considering one of the Canon Speedlights after Xmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I would love this!
    Getting my SB600 sometime today (if the UPS guy ever gets here).
    Hope you guys pick the 16th and NOT the 9th. I will be somewhere over the Atlantic/USA on the 9th.

Just picked up this today, too.
    DABE1A8D595242F1AE210FF6F936CBC0-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

^^ What have you got there ? Looks "vintage" :D

Chorcai wrote: »
    ^^ What have you got there ? Looks "vintage" :D

back_to_the_future.jpg

back_to_the_future.jpg

Great scot !!! He better stay well away from us then :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

It's a Honeywell tilt-a-mite Bulb flash. It's hard to find anymore information.
    Now I have to get down to My Favorite Camera Shop before I head back to Dublin and get the flashbulbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Gozo

I'd be very interested in joining you for the flash meetup. I'll be bringing a canon DSLR and a 580EX II

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Sounds interesting. Pretty much a strobist group outing eh? If the date falls after second week of January, I'd be able to join too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

If I am quiet around that time, would be great to go along.

I have 2x580exII, 1x430ex and 3x Pocketwizard Flex TTL transmitters so handy for off camera work.

mart_max wrote: »
    Sounds interesting. Pretty much a strobist group outing eh? If the date falls after second week of January, I'd be able to join too.

Yes one could call it strobist but flashing sounds more kinky !
    Borderfox wrote: »
    If I am quiet around that time, would be great to go along.

I have 2x580exII, 1x430ex and 3x Pocketwizard Flex TTL transmitters so handy for off camera work.

Heard lots of good reports about those pocketwizard things, would be great to see them in action.

I hope to pick up a set or 1 reflector(s) after xmass in the Jan sales. Its looking like the 16th of Jan is the best date. Any thoughts on where to meet ?

Yes one could call it strobist but flashing sounds more kinky !

Heard lots of good reports about those pocketwizard things, would be great to see them in action.

I hope to pick up a set or 1 reflector(s) after xmass in the Jan sales. Its looking like the 16th of Jan is the best date. Any thoughts on where to meet ?

The later date suits me better too. I assume you talking about after work times in the evening?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I'd go along if I can AND if someone is willing to loan me a flash (Canon 40D) - unless Santa is good to me and brings me one of my own.......

The later date suits me better too. I assume you talking about after work times in the evening?

Jan 16th is Saturday. Hope that suits.
    I'd go along if I can AND if someone is willing to loan me a flash (Canon 40D) - unless Santa is good to me and brings me one of my own.......

Make a deal with ya ! Bring some spent cases n Ill give ya loan of my flash !! :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Just a thought....will we be a real "Flash Mob"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Just a thought....will we be a real "Flash Mob"?

You can borrow my 550EX anytime.

Great! Sat 16th Jan is doable

It's going to be a major public alert with all those flashguns out there.

If budget permits, I'll have an Ezybox or extra 580EX II with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

I would be interested in coming along to this, I have a 1000D and a Canon Speedlite 430.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I'd be curious about coming along too, if it suits.

Flash - 580ex and 430ex, also have a reflector too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

Also interested in coming along

Nikon SB900

Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

id be interested. just got a Nissin Di622 off of santa and have never used a flash before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I'd be interested too, d300, 3 flashes, sigma, old nikon and have to check the 3rd one and trigger and 3 transmitters. If I'm free on the decided day I will be there.

I would guess that possibly the Phoenix Park may be a good place, with all the flashes going off you wouldnt want to be anywhere with too many people around that would be irritated by it. Somewhere like the monument maybe to start off with. Close to city centre to suit most people. Or even the beach. Would we want models????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

May be interested provided it doesn't clash with any other stuff. 3 Canon flashes and ST-E2

Should be a great turn out for this, Saturday 16th really looks like the day to have it, any other thoughts on where ?

Just a suggestion, clearly a mob of us popping off flashs isnt really going to work for us + public ! I was thinking of maybe 3/4 groups :

Newbies = someone who can help on basic settings and override settings/ gear.

Med/other level = Multi flash settings/ how to/ gear/ etc.

As suggested the Phoenix Park sounds like a good venue. loads of parking and close enough to city. Also cars will be near enough so as not too much carrying of gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I'll be around for this. I have a 580EX flash, off-shoe cord, triggers and a lumiquest softbox. Would love to try out using my flash as a slave :D

• Advertisement

Time and place so it can be sorted out nice and early.

Phonex Park ? Time ?

So is Saturday 16th January fixed ?
    Phoenix Park confirmed ?
    Are there any Flash tutors arranged ?
    How about a 4.30 p.m. start time.
    Looking forward to it.

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    So is Saturday 16th January fixed ?
    Phoenix Park confirmed ?
    Are there any Flash tutors arranged ?
    How about a 4.30 p.m. start time.
    Looking forward to it.

Well I hope that with the group who have shown interest in coming, a few experienced flash users would be able to answer questions/ show how etc.

Any one like to propose what we do ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

Looking forward to it, sorry don't have any ideas this is all totally new to me.

I'm still up for this. Will follow this thread so I know for sure the where, when & what takes place :)

Well I hope that with the group who have shown interest in coming, a few experienced flash users would be able to answer questions/ show how etc.

Any one like to propose what we do ? :D

Could I suggest both lighting objects and people so if we could have a test model or even use someone from the group we can test how to light a person outdoors in the dark properly without creating too much shadow and then possibly also working on creative shadow casting.

edited to say, I as am sure many more, am happy to allow others test with my equipment, I have 3 flashes, not top end or anything but they do the job and transmitters so if we can make sure we have the necessary equipment also. Since there is a group we can use voice activated tripods (I have stolen that term i.e. people as tripods) so if someone thinks we need other things mention here and whoever has the item can let us know if they can bring them, i.e. maybe reflectors, gels or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

I hope to make it along to this. I've been to a couple of Strobist meets so I should be able to answer some questions.

I have two flashes, brollies, light stands and radio triggers.

Another thing to bring is torches they will help with focusing and also when looking for stuff in your bag, they can also be used for light painting :D

Kazujo wrote: »
    I hope to make it along to this. I've been to a couple of Strobist meets so I should be able to answer some questions.

I have two flashes, brollies, light stands and radio triggers.

Another thing to bring is torches they will help with focusing and also when looking for stuff in your bag, they can also be used for light painting :D

Thats great , looking forward to learning a lot at this meet up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

looking forward to this as i got a Nissin speedlite off of santy and havent a clue where to begin

I hope the weather clears up by next week. I am thinking of bringing a welders mask now with all these flash guns that I hope will be there :D:D

Are we still going to go ahead if theres snow?

• Advertisement

I'm still up for it with snow. I'd say it will depend on how bad the roads are though on the day.

DK32 wrote: »
    I'm still up for it with snow. I'd say it will depend on how bad the roads are though on the day.

Same here, I think the snow will be gone by then (hopefully)
    Travel in my car this time Dan ?

Oh yeah, I should say I'm coming from Lucan if anyone needs a lift.

Have we a set time yet?

I'm still up for this even with snow, hopefully nothing stops the LUAS or buses to work on that day. :D

Is early morning too ambitious? Or in the evening while some sun lights are still out there?

Hi John, thanks for offer. I will gladly accept the offer of a lift as I don't drive on icy / snow covered roads in mine. I've been driving my wifes car since before Xmas which is much safer but a lot less comfortable :D

I like the idea of getting there late afternoon before Sunset. Weather dependent we might get the opportunity to catch a sunset and then we will be able to start making the most of flashes there after.

Can we confirm a meeting time & place?

Saturday 16th January

Phoenix Park = http://maps.google.com/maps?q=53.34893,-6.313947&num=1&t=h&sll=53.349029,-6.31384&sspn=0.001246,0.003484&ie=UTF8&ll=53.349014,-6.311034&spn=0.004983,0.013937&z=17
    Starting time of 3.30pm to 4.30 p.m for intros & who is who plan of action etc :D

Everyone ok with that ?

Saturday 16th January

Phoenix Park = http://maps.google.com/maps?q=53.34893,-6.313947&num=1&t=h&sll=53.349029,-6.31384&sspn=0.001246,0.003484&ie=UTF8&ll=53.349014,-6.311034&spn=0.004983,0.013937&z=17
    Starting time of 3.30pm to 4.30 p.m for intros & who is who plan of action etc :D

Everyone ok with that ?

Good for me, if anyone needs a lift from Lucan area pm me.

I am happy with that time also

Good for me!

• Advertisement
Advertisement