Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Germany will introduce radio frequency chip identification cards on November 2010

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Precisely, until it happens to yourself and you end up with a €200 fine for dropping a fag butt on the ground. :D

Again like all traffic fines you think they are great until you get done yourself. :)

Its well within the capabilities of this technology, If a cop pulls you over he could tell by your smart card where and when you were drinking and how much of it you bought. :eek:

So basically your saying only those people who pollute (drop litter), break the law (traffic violation) or drink and drive have something to worry about. Again I can't see the problem with this. Anything that keeps speeding/drunken idiots off the road is good in my book and don't get me started on people who drop litter :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,343 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Its well within the capabilities of this technology, If a cop pulls you over he could tell by your smart card where and when you were drinking and how much of it you bought. :eek:

And what's wrong with that exactly?
    And wouldn't they just breathalyse you first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

King Mob wrote: »
    And what's wrong with that exactly?
    And wouldn't they just breathalyse you first?
    It depends on the check point and what they are looking for.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    So basically your saying only those people who pollute (drop litter), break the law (traffic violation) or drink and drive have something to worry about. Again I can't see the problem with this. Anything that keeps speeding/drunken idiots off the road is good in my book and don't get me started on prople who drop litter :mad:
    and also if you don't pay your TV or Dog license. :eek:
    Undergod wrote: »
    Not a driver, but if I got a fine for a traffic offence, well then fair enough, most of the traffic laws are fairly reasonable in my opinion. There are some I have issue with, and for those situations there is an appeal procedure..
    You obviously never had dealings with the Westlink yet. :p
    Undergod wrote: »
    Not sure why this is relevant to Germany's non-mandatory RFID chips.
    It will only be a matter of time before this stuff spreads.

and also if you don't pay your TV or Dog license. :eek:

What has a dog license got to do with RFID?

What has a dog license got to do with RFID?
    It is all about what is stored on your record and keeping a dog without a license could now be considered a criminal offense.

It is all about what is stored on your record and keeping a dog without a license could now be considered a criminal offense.

That's already the case.......I still don't see what RFID has to do with this?

But isn't a breathalyser more accurate than seeing what you have bought?
    Maybe you're the designated driver but bought into rounds.

There is no reason at all for the cops to check your smart cards.

And even if they did, why is it a problem?
    Drinking and driving is illegal and morally wrong.

That's already the case.......I still don't see what RFID has to do with this?

Under the smart card system that offense would show up on his record every time he is requested to swipe his ID card. The system is completly transparent compaired to former ID methods.

To make matters worse for this guy this information can be shared with police forces through Europe, he may be even refused entry to the United States as technically he has a criminal record for spending time in the nick. People have been deported from the states for less.
    There is no reason at all for the cops to check your smart cards. .
    There is plenty of reason if the same card is your driving license.

Under the smart card system that offense would show up on his record every time he is requested to swipe his ID card. The system is completly transparent compaired to former ID methods.

To make matters worse for this guy this information can be shared with police forces through Europe, he may be even refused entry to the United States as technically he has a criminal record for spending time in the nick. People have been deported from the states for less.

ALOT of 'if', 'but', 'maybes' and 'perhaps' there.....when exactly are we being forced to get these RFID cards??

• Advertisement

Such as?
    Wouldn't they just breathalyse you?

It's not illegal to buy drink and drive, it's illegal to be drunk and driving.

And again what's the problem with punishing people for drinking and driving.

ALOT of 'if', 'but', 'maybes' and 'perhaps' there.....when exactly are we being forced to get these RFID cards??
    It may even creep in by stealth. :eek:

It may even creep in by stealth. :eek:

A non mandatory bus pass? Are you serious?? So that covers about 1% of the population? Wow this is scary!

shock%2Bsmiley.JPG

Biometric identification was proposed by then UK president of the Council of the European in 2005 but never went further than that.

The Irish Government proposed them in August of 2008 but backed down out of the idea because of funds.

They crept into the UK "voluntary" in September 2008 and incidently were covered in EU symbolism.

Biometric identification was proposed by then UK president of the Council of the European in 2005 but never went further than that.

I've highlighted the important stuff there.
    The Irish Government proposed them in August of 2008 but backed down out of the idea because of funds.

....and again.
    They crept into the UK "voluntary" in September 2008 and incidently were covered in EU symbolism.

The UK is an EU member state. What's the big deal?

I've highlighted the important stuff there.
    .and again.
    To my knowledge the proposal was knocked on the head over legal implications for rolling it out across Europe, in other words they couldnt force it upon on every country. I believe Lisbon has changed all that.
    The UK is an EU member state. What's the big deal?
    It was rolled out as the UK identity card not the EU id card. Remember that this was proposed and first issued when Britian was still a soverign state. People had issues with this at the time.

• Advertisement

I believe Lisbon has changed all that.

You realise there's a difference between reality and **** you make up right?

In fact to illustrate this: the Lisbon treaty in fact bans biometric ID and RFID.

You realize there's a difference between reality and **** you make up right?.
    Like knocking the pest part of the Irish Constitution on the head and making way for a self emending Eurpean wide document. :rolleyes:
    In fact to illustrate this: the Lisbon treaty in fact bans biometric ID and RFID.
    Source ?

Source ?

My point exactly.
    I don't have a source because I made it up.

Your source?

My point exactly.
    I don't have a source because I made it up.

Your source?
    If everything on this forum was word for word fact as you seem to want it, I would hardly call it a conspiracy forum. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

If everything on this forum was word for word fact as you seem to want it, I would hardly call it a conspiracy forum. :rolleyes:

so conspiracies arent factual then?

• Advertisement

Hang on now.
    You claimed it as fact.
    Can you back it up or not?

Why would you ask me to back up something but you refuse to?

Like knocking the pest part of the Irish Constitution on the head and making way for a self emending Eurpean wide document. :rolleyes:
    Source ?

I thought this No side red herring had been debunked already....seems not. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

An awful lot of tracking, behaviour profiling can already be done and is already in use. Personalised ads on the internet just to name the obvious one. And there are always ways to block those.
    Of course data protection has and will be a concern.
    There is so much other research done in other ways of tracking, like chemical tags, autonomous sensors networks... all those can be abused as well.
    RFID is the current buzz word , pet hate , you name it. as soon as something more advanced will be released to market nobody will care about RFID anymore.

but for the one that want to solution now - fret no more... the Rfiddler is here.
    Zap your own RFID tags in style. :D

RFiddler zapper

happy Christmas everyone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭aurelius79

You wouldn't want to be zapping RFIDs at night with that thing, "they'd" spot you in no time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

"The German Interior Ministry confirmed on Monday that new identification cards containing radio-frequency (RFID) chips will be introduced starting November 1, 2010 - but some data protection experts are critical of the decision".

"Data protection advocates say the RFID chip, which can be detected via radio frequencies from about two metres away without the owner’s knowledge, is problematic despite the fact it has already been incorporated into German passports"

I am surprised you have not pickup up on the story that from today, the Philipines are starting to required that cars will be fitted with RFID chips

I am surprised you have not pickup up on the story that from today, the Philippines are starting to required that cars will be fitted with RFID chips

I got up late this morning. :p

You forgot the linky.

It will only be a matter of time before it will happen here. In Ireland this will creep in throuigh the infrastructure, Ie toll roads, car parking and under some possible "green" congestion guise sanctioned by the EU. :rolleyes:

I got up late this morning. :p

You forgot the linky.

Sorry about the lack of link, never actually saw the story online, was watching it on TV news...

Sorry about the lack of link, never actually saw the story online, was watching it on TV news...
    There is still quite a lod of backlash over it at the moment.

There is still quite a lod of backlash over it at the moment.

Yes, and the Philippine supreme court has stopped it.

Advertisement