Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First time you went to see the team you support?

• 21-12-2009 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭

Well when was it?

The first Chelsea game I went to see was in the 1997/98 season when I was 9. It was the last game of the season against Bolton and we won 2-0 with goals from Jody Morris and Vialli. It also sent Bolton down. After the game the team did a lap of honor with the League Cup which was nice. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp_wJHr0maI

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭hblock21

First saw Arsenal in the Emirates in January 2009 v Bolton. We won 1 nil with Bendtner scoring. Wasn't the most exciting game ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

First saw Man Utd beat Tottenham 3-0 in 2004. Goals from Giggs, Bellion and Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

City - 1993 friendly against Dundalk in Oriel Park. First game at Maine Road was at home to Leeds in 1995.

Shels - Home defeat to Dundalk in 1989.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Haven't seen United yet but have been to Old Trafford, will most likely be going to the AC Milan match though, can't wait! :D

Did see Liverpool play Middlesbrough in Anfield back in 2004 though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I have no real memory of my earlier match going trips, but the game that stands out for me in terms of it being an early match going memory is the League Cup final in the 81/82 season, and the next big memory was watching the unveiling of the Shankly Gates during the summer of 1982.

Having Liverpool FC as my local team was great as a kid as it meant me going to the games with my dad on a regular basis, moving back to Ireland was a bit of a culture shock as it meant trading Anfield for Rathbane Park as my local ground. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

First saw the Gunners at the Charity Community Shield against Liverpool in 2002. We won 1-0 with a goal from Gilberto in the Millenium Stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Rovers when I was 8, seeing Sherlock scoring was a fond memory haha. For Everton I was the same age, my 8th birthday, at home to Leicester. Finished 1-1, Mikael Madar scoring, don't know if anyone remembers him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭G1032

hblock21 wrote: »
    First saw Arsenal in the Emirates in January 2009 v Bolton. We won 1 nil with Bendtner scoring. Wasn't the most exciting game ever!

Was at that game too. 83rd minute I think he scored. It was the coldest day in history!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Man United vs Leeds, 21st October 2000. 3-0 victory with goals from Yorke, Beckham and an OG (although I still maintain Solskjaer got the final touch!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

1990, was only a few months old my dad brought me to Harolds Cross for the Dublin derby of Pats -v- Shels,. First game I actually remember going to was the season opener in 2003 and haven't looked back since.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

West Ham United

21/Nov/1999 aged 15.

West Ham United v Sheffield Wednesday. 4-3 to the Hammers. Wanchope, Di Canio, Marc Vivian Foe (RIP), and Frank Lampard all scored. Danny Sonner was sent off, West Ham were given a very dubious penalty. Twas a brilliant game, and I switched allgiances from Man Utd almost immediatly.

I have been back three times in the past ten years. The second occured in 2002 on Paddy's weekend, when I went to see them play Man Utd. Another amazing games, ending 3-5 to the Red Devils. Lomas , Kanoute, Defoe all scored for the Irons. Beckham hit a peach, and a penalty, Scholes, Solskjaer, and Nickey Butt all contributed.

Third time was against Watford in the Coc Coal Championship in November 2004. Ended 3-2 to the Hammers. Darren Powell, Nigel Reo Coker (before he was famous), and Sergei Rebrov (after he was famous) got the Hammers goal. I only remember Bruce Dyer scoring for the Hornets.

I didnt get a match for almost five years, but after my Kings Inns entrance exams I went over to Upton Park for the 1-2 defeat to Sprus last August.

I believe I have seen 23 goals in 4 games at West Ham ! Who says following a ****e team isnt fun !

Wen I was die-hard Shels, I first went to see them on 27th October 1995 against Sligo Rovers. It ended 0-0. But I was hooked, and kept going to Tolka religiously until 2002. Since then I have been over about three times :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

My first game was Liverpool - V - Chelsea semifinal of the chaps league in Anfield when Garcia scored.

What a first game to go to!!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

First saw Bohs at a pre-season friendly at the start of the '08 season. Was against Dundalk, ended 1-1, can't remember who scored though :o

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

93/94 Shels vs Karpaty Lviv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

99. We lost to Cork City 5-2 in the Showgrounds. I just remember being in awe of the shed at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

First saw Liverpool play in 1992 against Southampton at the Dell

My uncle took me cos he was a Saints fan and tried to convert me

But as soon as I saw players like Barnes/Rush/Macca/Molby, I knew who I was going to support

I first saw Barcelona play in 1996, managed by Cruyff and ha players like Figo, Guardiola and Hagi

I knew from that game vs Real Madrid when they won 3-0 that it was a special team

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

'89/90 I think...Rovers v Athlone in Dalymount. I remember being in the stand where the car-park is now

For Liverpool was Derby County at Anfield in 1991 I think..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

First round of the FA Cup, Portsmouth 3 - 1 Bideford.

It was a long time ago, the same season we were relegated from Division 3.
    1977 if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

my first game was villa v southampton in the 97/98 season and we won 1 nil dreyden og when i was 20. been to nearly a 100 since then :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

First game at old trafford was against Liverpool, april 1998.

1-1, Johnsen and Owen scored. Owen also got sent off for hacking down johnsen I think it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SimpleLogic

On my tenth birthday I went to see Chelsea play Leicester at the Bridge.

Zola and Petrescu made it 2-0 and looked like it was going to be an easy win with ten minutes to go. But the great man Michael Duberry, less than ten minutes on the pitch knocks one into his own net. Two minutes to go Steve Guppy scores a cracker.

That game kinda finnished are title hopes that year too. Ah well I still enjoyed every minute :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

First United game was against Charlton in 2004, United won 2-0, Giggs and Scholes. Fergie's 999th game in charge of United and Scholes's 300th Premier League game.:D I was sitting in prawn-sandiwch territory and it sucked ass.:(

First Rovers game was against Real Madrid.:o I was sitting behind the goals where Benzema scored as well, which made it worse.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Man united v ac milan 4-5years ago. United lost 0-1 think crespo scored. Didnt really care milan where at there best then. Great to see to off the best teams in the world play. Fortune hit the post and it was fooking freezing. The players where like match sticks i was that high up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

'96 vs. Coventry - the infamous Dave Busst leg break. I couldn't see what happened, but I'll never forget Schmeichel running to the dugout with his hand over his mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Liverpool at home to Birmingham in 1983 a late Ian Rush goal for a 1-0 win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I was going to Richmond Park since I was old enough to walk.

My first time in Villa Park was in the 95/96 season, I would have been 11/12. John Spencer scored the only goal of the game and we were beaten 0-1 by Chelsea. Ruud Gullit was incredible that day, he covered every inch of the pitch.

I remember watching Paul McGrath 'warm up' that day, while the rest of the players were stretching and doing exercises he stood there with his hand down his shorts scratching his balls :D. Actually saw Paul last Tuesday in Dunnes, a litre of Vodka and a litre of Whiskey in his trolley along with a load of frozen meals for 1, I nearly cried

My first Ireland game was a warm up for USA '94. v Russia, the '3 Amigos' (Babb, Kelly, Mcateer) made their debut. 0-0 draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

First ever game was Shamrock Rovers v Longford Town in Richmond Park, around 2002/03 I think, Rovers winning sent them into europe I believe and it was Noel Hunts last game for the club.

The first Ireland game would have been that April Vs Norway I think it was in a friendly.

First Liverpool game would have been about April 2003 v Charlton, think Liverpool won that 2-1 with Gerrard and maybe Hyypia scoring? Could have been Heskey either.

And then first Kildare County game was June 2004, the night euro 2004 began, to see them play Monaghan United in a game where Kildare County lost 2-1, fell in love instantly though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

WEnt to Unied v CSKA Moscow in November. Right behind the post when owen scored.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Des wrote: »
    93/94 Shels vs Karpaty Lviv

I never had you down as one of those big European game bandwagon jumpers.

As they say,you learn something new every day.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

1990, Shels v Spurs, Tolka Park. Wasn't my first game as I'd been to see Bohs the year before. Got off lucky there :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

First time in Old Trafford was last week against Villa:(

First Premiership game: 1993, It was Big Ron's first game in charge of Coventry at Highfield Rd, against West Ham I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

First Rovers game was a friendly against Utd in 1984, Rovers won 2-0. First Proper Rovers game was against Cork in the first leg of the FAI Cup Semi Final in 1986, a 4-1 Rovers win. First trip to Old Trafford was the Derby in 1986, a 2-2 draw. First ever live game was Bohs v Utd at Dalymount, Utd won 3-1 after being 1 down at half time. Must have been a Rovers fan by then and not realise it. Didnt like going to Dalymount back then and I still dont like going now ;o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

dfx- wrote: »

For Liverpool was Derby County at Anfield in 1991 I think..

Was at that one myself.

First game at Anfield was Oct 1981 2-1 defeat to Man U.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

december 2008 went with da (long time supporter, his first time since the early 90's) and sister.

liverpool 2 - 2 hull city. (shockeh)

i will never forget walking out onto the terrace and hearing "you'll never walk alone" one of the few things ive ever experienced that actually made me shiver

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

first game of my first love -Athlone Town I was 6 years of age when Everton rolled into St.Mels park. Kevin Sheedy was fresh off scoring against England in Italia 90. Was in august of 1990 if my memory serves me right.

My first liverpool game was in 1994, Liverpool 3 Arsenal 0 with Robbie Fowlers famous hattrick in 4 minutes and 33 seconds. Robbie was some finisher in his early years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

My first trip to Terryland was back in 1982 to see Galway United play Boh, and of course we lost.

First Man Utd game was at Upton Park on a Friday night, March 1985, ended 2-2, Robbo and Stapleton the scorers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

1 all draw v Slugo Jugomagnat in 2000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Cork City first game was against St Pats in 1991 think was 2-1 win.

Man Utd against Liverpool in January 2006 Ferdinand got the goal more famous was Nevilles celebration in 1-0 90 minute win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

United v Watford. 06 season I think. Goals and drink gallore. Ronaldo started United off with a peno, then Larsson finished off a lovely passing move (his movement was great off the ball) little side foot home. Rooney chipped the keeper to make it 3 and Richardson whipped in a ball that took a deflection for the forth.

Was my first time seeing the PIG. My god was he bogey that night. Flapped at everything and he still does.

Been back to Old Trafford twice since. Semi Final vs Barca, and last seasons title clincher v Villa.

Do my best to get over at least once a season now that I can kinda afford it. Hoping to get to Beckhams return in March this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Mid 1980's. We beat Forest 3-1 at our's. King Kenny scored one if i remember right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Rovers vs Celtic, Milltown, 1986. Think there was 20000 at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

CiaranC wrote: »
    Rovers vs Celtic, Milltown, 1986. Think there was 20000 at it.
    Lol. I got on the field at half time at that game for a five a side with my schoolboy team.:) Goodtimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

baz2009 wrote: »
    First United game was against Charlton in 2004, United won 2-0, Giggs and Scholes. Fergie's 999th game in charge of United and Scholes's 300th Premier League game.:D I was sitting in prawn-sandiwch territory and it sucked ass.:(

Heh, my first United game was the one after that, home to Lyon in the CL. SAF's 1000th game :cool:
    United won 2-1. Gary Neville scored the opener (and hasn't scored since), Roy Carroll let a shot from 35 yards past him before Half-time. Ruud got the winner with a close-range header in the 2nd half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Bohemians v Man Utd, 8th Aug 1981.

I got to meet the United team & had my goalkeeper's jersey signed by Gary Bailey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

30-Apr-1977

Chelsea Vs Sheffield Utd , Chelsea won 4 0.

Got all the scorer's autographs , Peter Bonneti stole my pen ..I had to chase after him to get it back .

Still remember it clearly.

Advertisement