Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

biamping with old amp query

• 21-12-2009 1:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I recently got some speakers to power an old amp I have lying around :

Monitor audio B2 speakers each with 4 inputs.
    Sony ta-f420 amp with 8 outputs in total for two speakers.

I'm a newbie to biamping and haven't seen speakers with 4 inputs before.I'm wondering if I can biamp these speakers with this old amp. Are the outputs suitable? Any ideas on how to wire them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭viperirl

Unless you can modify the internal crossover circuitry inside the speaker you will not be able to properly biamp. And then you would need a external active crossover unit. I think the 2 sets of outputs on your amp are there to drive two different sets of speakers. (I havent looked at the amp specs so this is an educated guess and from what I've seen before)
    The 4 inputs on your speaker allow you to 'biwire'. Sorry I dont have much time to explain but if you google it you'll get a good explaination. Let us know if you have any questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

Thanks. I'll google bi-wire as all I want is sound from both speakers, nothing fancy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

DannyD wrote: »
    Thanks. I'll google bi-wire as all I want is sound from both speakers, nothing fancy!

To put it simply, bi-wiring, means running 4 wires to your speakers and removing the jumper wires from between the terminals on the speakers.

This in theory places less demand on the different cables for high and low frequency sounds, but all 4 wires are connected to the same 2 output terminals on the amplifier side.

Bi-Amping on the other hand means running the same 4 wires to the terminals on the speakers, but using 4 terminals on the amplifier. You have this option available to you.

What viperirl is alluding to is that the Bi-amping is a serious topic and you can get very much more indepth than the above generalisation but the equipment you have is limited in this regard.

The _best_ sound you can get from your equipment from what I can see in your first post is to run 4 wires to each speaker connecting HF to HF and LF to LF for both the Left and Right channels correspondingly.

Have fun, the only extra cost to you is two lengths of speaker wire, so I say go with it.

Advertisement