Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FLICKR and people saving photos

• 21-12-2009 2:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭

Hi there, I was just wondering whether somebody could tell me is there any way to prevent people from saving photos put up on Flickr onto their PC?!

I guess I am interested because I notice that they say on their website that preventing people doing this is not foolproof but yet when you look at some photographers' hosted web pages you are not even able to right click for options over the displayed photos (which are incidentally for sale)...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

In short, no. You can make it more difficult for people who don't know how to do it but it's trivial to get over the type of restrictions that places like flickr put in play, or those irritating scripts that stop right clicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I think flickr can put a blank image over your images so when somebody right clicks and saves they don't get the picture, just the blank

But anybody can take a screen capture of what they see on their screen, so really its simple enough to save a copy of anything on any webpage, only thing you can do is restrict the size or quality that you put up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Resize every photo to 500 or 800px on the longest side before you upload it. It wont be useable for printing that way and also saves space if you dont have a pro account. :)

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

There is an option which will only allow people on your contacts list to view the full size images (i.e. the images you get from the 'all sizes' button). And I think this means that anyone now on your list can't right click & download the images.

As mentioned already, uploading a maximum size of 800 pixels is a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

Thanks guys :) I guess it is pretty difficult to prevent people from lifting them altogether but what you say about resizing the photos to 800 pixels is a pretty good idea!

I guess they could also be watermarked too but it does kind of ruin the photo a bit...hmm

Peter1892: If what you say about the contact list is true that is pretty darn handy! Could also set the profile up to contacts only hmmm!

Does anybody use the Flickr Pro account? and as its Pro I presume you can use it to sell photos?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

The option for restricting access to the photos is in the 'your account' section under 'privacy & permissions'.

A pro account is a paid account that allows you do upload more photos, create more sets etc but you can't use it to sell photos (it's all in the community guidelines/terms of service). There are other sites that you can sel through (e.g. Redbubble).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you went to the hassle of setting up a personal site you could make a flash stream and make it slightly harder to copy but screencaps will always prevail.

The only real answer is small images.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Anything displayed on a computer can be saved to the computer. The Print Screen (Prnt Scrn) button has been around a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I think flickr can put a blank image over your images so when somebody right clicks and saves they don't get the picture, just the blank

But anybody can take a screen capture of what they see on their screen, so really its simple enough to save a copy of anything on any webpage, only thing you can do is restrict the size or quality that you put up
    That doesnt work. In firefox you just right click and then select block image and then it gets rid of their blank image

Advertisement