Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Douglas - where to eat?

Options
  • 21-12-2009 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

Can you recommend a nice restaurant in Douglas for dinner? Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭thudd

KC's ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Nakon Thai, East Village, Lal Quila, Amicus, Ecos in that order. All good in my opinion, happy to eat in any of them.
    Depends what kind of food you like.
    Havelli (Indian) also good & Bullys have a place there too. I think Barrys can be hit n' miss when it comes to their food.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Thanks for the tips! Lots of choice by the sounds of it.

Can you also recommend a couple of bars?

:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Barrys for Booze

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

Id definitely recommend Eco's for the meal! Delish!! :D
    Havent been blown away with any other restaraunt in Douglas tbh!
    East Village or Barrys for drinks would be good.

• Advertisement

Thanks, will definately pop into Barrys for a couple!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

Ecos great food great value

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Eco's for food, South County for drink.

Great, thanks everyone! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Barry's for food and a drink...problem solved! Nakon Thai is also very nice.

If you want to experience the sensation of eating your dinner while sitting inside a tin of sardines then go to Eco..what a cramped overheated dive it is...I don't care how 'value for money' the food is, it's just a terrible experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

East Village is a livelier bar than Barrys. Might have a slightly younger age (as in not as near to retirement age as Barry's clientele) profile too but both have a wide age range.
    If you are into sporting events then East Village is well set up to watch matches, etc.
    Sullivans Bar & The South County are two other bars that are not the worst either.
    You're right, for a small area there is a lot of choice. There is another indian restaurant behind Topaz that is also nice & there is another restaurant above O'Driscoll's Bar that I have yet to try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭fullback4glin

Ecos is unreal, theres a good selection there, the mixed satay is mmmmmm

They've a good selection but you really need to make a reservation, it gets very busy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Head of to St. Columba's Hall (tinny shed) for a toasted sandwich and pint. Food and drink in one. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Saltour Sossiez

McDonald's

Thanks again for all the suggestions! Much appreciated :D

McD's on hungover occassions is fine, actually nothing beats it! But I can't remember the last time we were out for a meal, so looking for somewhere a little more upmarket ;)

One more question - how far is the Rochestown Park Hotel from these restaurants/bars? I don't know Douglas at all, only ever stayed in the city centre.

Thanks again for all the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

RubyK wrote: »
    One more question - how far is the Rochestown Park Hotel from these restaurants/bars? I don't know Douglas at all, only ever stayed in the city centre.

5 minutes walk or so I'd say. Walk through either the Fingerpost or Douglas Court Shopping Centre car park. It's at the start of the Rochestown Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭GymJim

Head of to St. Columba's Hall (tinny shed) for a toasted sandwich and pint. Food and drink in one. :D

It's true can't beat our Tinny Shed for pints (maybe elsewhere if you want more than a bag of peanuts to eat though).

I would recommend East Village for food and a reasonable crowd. Lived here all my life so trust me stay well well away from Barry's unless you like a pretentious crowd and overpriced food/drink.

Rochestown Park is about a 5/10 minute walk from centre of Douglas. About a 2 minute taxi ride (not worth the fiver really).

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

RubyK wrote: »

Marybourough House Hotel is only 10/15 mins walk from the village and it's way nicer than the RPH.

I think the service and cleanliness are much better in Amicus than Ecos.

Do a pub crawl after South County -> John O' Sullivan's -> O' Driscoll's -> Barry's -> East Village. You will only have 100m between stops on average!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 nb1967

surprised nobody has mentioned Bullys - right opposite Barrys. Great food, cosy setting and imho good value. I've eaten there a few times and always been well satisfied.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

nb1967 wrote: »
    surprised nobody has mentioned Bullys - right opposite Barrys. Great food, cosy setting and imho good value. I've eaten there a few times and always been well satisfied.

I think the food is pretty woeful in Bully's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Best place to eat in douglas is without doubt Eco's! Really good food, good service and the prices are very reasonable. Lal Quila has nice food too but is more expensive and i find the chairs in there very uncomfortable. For fast food u can't beat KC's.

Kazbah wrote: »
    I think the food is pretty woeful in Bully's.

totally agree, I actually think it's still open purely down to its location. If it wasn't there to sweep up the people turned away from the Eco sardine tin I reckon it would be history by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

nb1967 wrote: »
    The number 13 pizza in Bully's is the best thing on this planet for mopping up a hangover. It's half a calzone and half a pepperoni pizza and about 13,000 calories.. NYOM

Edit: But yes Eco's is by far the best restaurant in Douglas, and if you're looking for a spot for a rozemantic meal you couldn't do better.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

suppafly wrote: »
    . For fast food u can't beat KC's.

You can - with a stick with nails in.

KCs is over-rated grease.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Avoid The Bayleaf. Expensive pretentious crap. I ordered beef and got a shot glass of cottage pie on the side with a dirty spoon. Stupid place.

markok84 wrote: »
    Edit: But yes Eco's is by far the best restaurant in Douglas, and if you're looking for a spot for a rozemantic meal you couldn't do better.

if your idea of romance is sitting on the lap of the diner beside you whilst trying to avoid having your elbow tipped by every person that walks by then well done, you are in the right spot ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

if your idea of romance is sitting on the lap of the diner beside you whilst trying to avoid having your elbow tipped by every person that walks by then well done, you are in the right spot ;)
    it sure is!! the front spot is ridiculous alright but the space around the corner is more roomy. but ya you're right it is very cramped in general, the food is almost worth it though. Personally I wouldn't bother, I'd head into the city and go for either Jacobs or Castelli's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭HUSH HUSH

Driscoll's in Douglas is now doing food ( until 8 every night ). Getting the food from the Bay Leaf ( in the same building ) . Everything on the menu under €10 and a few daily specials around €12. Standard very high and a million times better than the €13 carvery fare you'll pick up in Barry's, South County and O'Sullivans

Advertisement