Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

to buy or not to buy?

• 21-12-2009 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi All,
    in a bit of a muddle about what to do, have had a fantastic horse on livery (leasing him) since May with the option to buy. I was giving it at least 6mths to see how things went, and its been going great - couldnt ask for a better horse. The thing is I have just found out I am pregnant and I obviously wont be able to continue to ride, so was thinking if I buy him and cant ride myself the only option is to lease him to someone who can - which kills me. Not sure if in the circumstances the equestrian centre would give me the option of half livery? Any suggestions? Delighted by the way about my news but worried about my lovely little horse

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Hi starpixie, congrats on your great news. It's a nice dilemma to have :) Not an easy one to answer and only you can choose. But a great deal of the issues will relate to your lifestyle, local family support system, childcare plans, employment/financial situation.

I would take a long look at the big changes that will inevitably come in your life and acknowledge that the next few years will be difficult to find time for yourself never mind looking after a horse too. I really don't mean to paint a negative view anything, as being a parent is amazing. There are of course realities about free time that hit a lot of parents. I said difficult but not impossible just a lot of compromise.

I would consider just a few things I can think of, others no doubt will have more thoughts:

How many days do you ride a week at the moment?
    What happens when you can't ride for a day or days - who exercises/cares for the horse?
    How many days do you think you can ride a week - in the future?
    If the horse is injured and needs daily treatment/walk out etc - who can do this?

Maybe the yard will take care of the above, if so great to some extent.

Your decision may then boil down to money and working out what you are really going to get from this horse over a time period. You may be paying for a horse that you can't use at all for a while and eventually not as much as you used to. You may/may not get the option of half livery but think about how your horse may be utilised and by whom.

Plan out when you can possibly return to riding, you will have to consider easing yourself back in. But don't give it up, do get yourself back in to things you enjoy. We all need them!

Best wishes for the future,
    MAJJ

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

starpixie wrote: »
    Hi All,
    in a bit of a muddle about what to do, have had a fantastic horse on livery (leasing him) since May with the option to buy. I was giving it at least 6mths to see how things went, and its been going great - couldnt ask for a better horse. The thing is I have just found out I am pregnant and I obviously wont be able to continue to ride, so was thinking if I buy him and cant ride myself the only option is to lease him to someone who can - which kills me. Not sure if in the circumstances the equestrian centre would give me the option of half livery? Any suggestions? Delighted by the way about my news but worried about my lovely little horse

Would I be right in guessing that you are getting the horse from the equestrian centre to start with? If this is the case and they are willing to sell you the horse maybe they are delighted to find a good rider for the horse and the fact that you will not be able to ride for a few months is really no skin off their nose as you will have paid for the horse and I'm sure you can find an eager young person to share him while you are pregnant. Check out site for peopl ho want to share. I really don't think you have anything to worry about there. Presumably you have considered all the points in the last post as there is approx 400 quid minimum coming out of your pocket every month from now on for a horse you may not have a lot of time for. Hope you have a caring husband!!!! Best of luck With your decision. H.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭marizpan

I totally agree with MAAJ,

Was in similiar situation 3 yrs ago, but i had just bought my horse.
    Being a new parent is going to hit you harder than anything you will ever do in your life. It will be tough to find time to do simple things like housework, or sometimes to even shower.
    For me, it was unrealistic to think i could still do everything and yet looking at my fat horse in the field only made me more guilty. thankfully i didnt have livery etc to pay for and i could ride him at home. I currently dont ride in the winter, as the days too dark/wet and fields too muddy.i ride during the summer and do rc.When i do ride its 30mins max, as i have too much to do, me time does not exist anymore unfortunately.
    I'm not trying to be mean, but i wish somebody sat me down and explained how tough it is going to be, i cant even go to the toilet by myself:eek:
    If i was to do it all again, i would have sold my horse as soon as i found out, as it would have been less pressure and guilt.
    You will enjoy the first yrs better if you arent spread too thin.
    I also thought i would start riding 6-8wks after birth. was i mad? i was getting no sleep at all, stressed out and barely eating.
    Be kind to yourself:)and enjoy the baby

Advertisement