Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Norman Returned Damaged Philips 42" TV

Options
  • 21-12-2009 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,

got an early xmas present of a Philips 42" Tv on thursday evening last.
    Set about setting it up on Friday evening, follows all guidelines (placing screen on flat surface to attach stand. Stood TV up plugged in power, when screen came up , their was a crack in the bottom left hand corner. Repackaged tv and brought back to HN on sat and left very dissatisfied. Was not given replacement TV and was told that policy was that Philips have to look at TV and asses the damage as if HN gave me a replacement they would be out of pocket. Basically accused me of cracking the screen.

Was told that when i leave the store with the TV its my property. But when i check the receipt they never made us sign the Terms & conditions on the receipt.

Rep from HN basically made it out that if i was nice to him he would do me a favour. However when completing the returns form, other HN staff member told me not to worry that it would be sorted!!! .

I was told that i would get a call today. No calls yet.

I contacted a friend of mine who works for another large electrical goods supplier who told me they should of just replaced it on the spot!!.

Very concerned as they are making it out that we broke the TV and might not get a replacement and then will be left with nothing to show for my money other than a broken TV.

Any advise would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Was it boxed or was it a shop display unit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Jumpy wrote: »
    Was it boxed or was it a shop display unit?
    you are entitled to repair replacement or a refund but as with most large purchases harvey norman must be given a chance to examine the tv and see if it can be repaired and also check that it was not due to customer damage.

whether or not it was a shop display tv makes no difference at all unless the damage was pointed out to you before it was bought!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

foggy_lad wrote: »
    you are entitled to repair replacement or a refund but as with most large purchases harvey norman must be given a chance to examine the tv and see if it can be repaired and also check that it was not due to customer damage.

whether or not it was a shop display tv makes no difference at all unless the damage was pointed out to you before it was bought!

Yep to the above. Phillips have the right to examine their products to deem what could have caused the crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I know this is going to sound painful OP. But once you take the tv from the shop it is your property. Im sure Philips have checked all TV's before they leave their factory. Im not saying that you broke the TV, but it is a possibility that it may have gotten through quality control at Philips. I'd wait and see what Harveys are going to do for you. They might give you a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    I know this is going to sound painful OP. But once you take the tv from the shop it is your property. Im sure Philips have checked all TV's before they leave their factory. Im not saying that you broke the TV, but it is a possibility that it may have gotten through quality control at Philips. I'd wait and see what Harveys are going to do for you. They might give you a new one.

That may be so but I work in an independent electrical retailer and it is possible that some goods may be damaged in transit. In this case we would replace it and I strongly doubt that HN would be out of pocket,they are just creditted the cost on it.

• Advertisement

greetings wrote: »
    That may be so but I work in an independent electrical retailer and it is possible that some goods may be damaged in transit. In this case we would replace it and I strongly doubt that HN would be out of pocket,they are just creditted the cost on it.

I used to work in retail myself. When the goods came in the back door they needed to be signed for saying that they were in perfect condition. I worked for a large retailer in Ireland and they used to try anything to get out of this sort of a situation. Hopefully for the op's sake it will be different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

gmoynihan wrote: »
    Hi,

got an early xmas present of a Philips 42" Tv on thursday evening last.
    Set about setting it up on Friday evening, follows all guidelines (placing screen on flat surface to attach stand. Stood TV up plugged in power, when screen came up , their was a crack in the bottom left hand corner. Repackaged tv and brought back to HN on sat and left very dissatisfied. Was not given replacement TV and was told that policy was that Philips have to look at TV and asses the damage as if HN gave me a replacement they would be out of pocket. Basically accused me of cracking the screen.

Was told that when i leave the store with the TV its my property. But when i check the receipt they never made us sign the Terms & conditions on the receipt.

Rep from HN basically made it out that if i was nice to him he would do me a favour. However when completing the returns form, other HN staff member told me not to worry that it would be sorted!!! .

I was told that i would get a call today. No calls yet.

I contacted a friend of mine who works for another large electrical goods supplier who told me they should of just replaced it on the spot!!.

Very concerned as they are making it out that we broke the TV and might not get a replacement and then will be left with nothing to show for my money other than a broken TV.

Any advise would be much appreciated
    Hard one to call really. It's your word against Harvey Norman's at the end of the day. It's quite possible the TV was damaged before it ever left the storeroom, but on the other hand, Harvey Norman don't know what you did with the TV in the two day window you had it in your possession. Particularly things like internal cracking where a sharp knock to the packaging box, going over a speedbump too quick in your car etc. can cause quite severe damage to screens, particularly heavy plasma screens. Seen it happen many times to many an unfortunate customer during my retail days!

Harvey Norman don't have to get you to sign anything either. By you handing over your money you're basically agreeing to complete a contract with HN and agreeing with any T&Cs and any return policies Harvey Norman decide to implement (granted, of course, they do not infringe on your legal rights as a consumer). From a legal point of view, HN have the option of offering you a repair, or a replacement, or a refund under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I used to work in retail myself. When the goods came in the back door they needed to be signed for saying that they were in perfect condition. I worked for a large retailer in Ireland and they used to try anything to get out of this sort of a situation. Hopefully for the op's sake it will be different.

I know this myself isnt it annoying that you say goods are in perfect condition when the company selling the goods to the retailer know that not every product can be opened and checked upon delivery.
    In particular Beko are excellent for dealing with in such cases of damage in transport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

they do not open all boxes and check every unit, i would seriously doubt it. And problem was apparent after power on

kwalshe wrote: »
    they do not open all boxes and check every unit, i would seriously doubt it. And problem was apparent after power on

Thats what I was saying. Say a fridge comes in, we could not open it to check for dents to the exterior of the unit. We had to sign to say that the unit was in pristine condition as soon as we got it in. They only thing we could do was to check and make sure the packaging was ok on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

op your tv will most likely be sent back to manufacturer where it will be examined by technicians etc and they will decide if the damage was due to a household knock or damage during transit. the plastics and materials used in manufacture react differently to differing damage such as being dropped on a carped or being dropped from a truck in the packaging

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

OP did you take out a warranty with your telly?

I was pleasantly surprised with Harvey Norman customer care recently! We bought a Phillips telly from Harvey Norman about 18 months ago. It just stopped working last week for no apparent reason. Thought I'd have to pay to get it repaired, didn't have box, receipt, etc. I rang them and they told me that I'd taken out an extended warranty (didn't even remember this, but they had details on their computer) and to bring the TV in and they'd have a look at it. Brought it in and they got back to me within 2 days to tell me Phillips were replacing the TV and that I could collect it the next day! Not bad going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 gmoynihan

TV was collected in a sealed box, not a Display model. We did not sign out the TV although there was a Terms & Condiditions space for our signature on the reciept. We were never asked to fill this in.

Store manager rang me yesterday evening (after i had called him a few times!) to say that Philips engineer was coming out today to look at the TV. And that he would have to "wheel & Deal" with him but should get it sorted for me. I quoted him on this and replied " so we should be sorted tomorrow" he said yes.
    I presume that means i will get a replacement TV. I hope

Spoke to a TV repair person in the meantime and he informed me that the type of damage i described to him was casued by the TV being Dropped and not an impact on the screen. As the plastic cover layer on top of the LCD was not damaged.

HN loaded the TV into back of a 4x4 and i carried from jeep to house. It was never dropped by us. I only hope HN are off the same opinion.

Should know more by close of play today. WIll keep everyone posted

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Hope it works out, to be honest I'd never shop with them again after an different incident with a 42" Philips TV myself,
    and their employee who tried to make me feel like an idiot when I told him that 1080P was 1920x1080 pixels and he kept going on about how it was 1080x1080 and that he was right becuase he was working with TV's for 5 years or some ****.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

mayordenis wrote: »
    and their employee who tried to make me feel like an idiot when I told him that 1080P was 1920x1080 pixels and he kept going on about how it was 1080x1080 and that he was right becuase he was working with TV's for 5 years or some ****.
    Should have asked him why the TV was not square then :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Nody wrote: »
    Should have asked him why the TV was not square then :D

Ask him? I told him that, that 1080x1080 is a perfect square,
    I also point to the side of the box where it said something along the lines of 1080P (1920x1080pixels) and he was still adamant I was wrong.

I was pretty disapointed with this tech guru tbh.

mayordenis wrote: »
    Ask him? I told him that, that 1080x1080 is a perfect square,
    I also point to the side of the box where it said something along the lines of 1080P (1920x1080pixels) and he was still adamant I was wrong.

I was pretty disapointed with this tech guru tbh.

Ha this makes me laugh. See the majourity of people that work for the likes of HN, Currys and the like recieve feck all training. I used to work for one of these retailers and you were basically thrown in at the deep end, you either new it or you didn't. Either way once you were selling TV's it was grand. But if someone came in and asked questions some of the guys would be rightly screwed. I was good with info so never had any real problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

I was in the Blanch store several years ago and asked the lad in the computer section if he had any Sony Vaio in store. He directed me to the TV section si I said thanks CRUSTY turned and left the store. Wouldn't take a lot of training to know the difference between laptops and TV's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

rednik wrote: »
    I was in the Blanch store several years ago and asked the lad in the computer section if he had any Sony Vaio in store. He directed me to the TV section si I said thanks CRUSTY turned and left the store. Wouldn't take a lot of training to know the difference between laptops and TV's.

He could easily have been having a bad day and misheard or confused the model names of the Vaio and Bravia. It does happen.

Advertisement