Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a quick reply please

Options
  • 21-12-2009 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm thinking of moving into glenomena for the second semester. I'm a final year so ideally i'm looking for a nice quiet place close to health sciences Anyway from the accommodation menu on sis, there are rooms available in houses 6 7 8 9 and 10. Which one is the best. I really don't want to end up with alot of first years who are constantly partying and noisy. And what way does electricity work in each place. Is it a meter system or do you pay upfront ? Thanks for any reply. I'd really appreciate a quick answer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Sara83

It's meter and quite the rip off. Dont know about specific houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

house 10 is much better heating wise- has radiators, not storage heaters, and it's prepaid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ant043

Thanks for replies guys. I tried ringing up accommodation office to try and find out the years of people staying in some places but they couldn't say. So which building contains mostly final years and postgrads then ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

ant043 wrote: »
    Thanks for replies guys. I tried ringing up accommodation office to try and find out the years of people staying in some places but they couldn't say. So which building contains mostly final years and postgrads then ? Thanks
    Well,it's Glenomena so they're all final year/postgrads aren't they?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The majority are, but there are a few first years in there also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

With the ridiculous prices this year they couldn't find enough final years and postgrads with more money than sense who wanted to live in a gated "no visitors after 11pm honey" complex, so they filled what remained with first years.

...Clearly that plan didn't work out very well :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

What's it costing to live on campus these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

33% God wrote: »
    With the ridiculous prices this year they couldn't find enough final years and postgrads with more money than sense who wanted to live in a gated "no visitors after 11pm honey" complex, so they filled what remained with first years.

It is shocking BS isn't it, that final years and post-grads, most of whom are 23 plus, are made to live as if they are secondary school students in Irish college at unacceptable rates (not even rental rates considering they aren't classed as tenants).

There should be a post-grad area where post-grads are treated as post grads and not like 18 year olds. If only we had some sort of real Student Union instead of a limp-dick communal pissing contest...

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

there are a lot of first years living in glenomena, so i dont know about it being quiet. think its about 2,600 for semester 2 and you have to pay electricity on top of that,i think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭TheJeanGenie

Is there no other accomadation around UCD for students???? I know there are around 3 or 4 complexes, owned by businesses but aimed towards students, within 10 minute walk from DCU and they all charge between 100-120 per week and that includes electricity etc.
    i mean there's so many students in UCD and yet the college doesn't really provide for them lol

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I don't quite understand why adults aren't allowed have visitors beyond a specific time... in a normal apartment block you still can't cause a disturbance but you don't have to 'check in' your girlfriend on the way in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭panda142

House 9 or 10 would defintely be the way to go. There are first years in glenomena this year because of a cock up in the system in Summer but the majority of people in 9 and 10 are final years and postgrads (mainly postgrads) Its v quiet (I live there) and very warm with electricity paid up front so no bills once you pay the 2,600 in january!

Hope this helps, PM me if you want :)

Advertisement