Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing family into the country

Options
  • 21-12-2009 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

After returning to Ireland see here, it has been decided that my wife and two kids will follow me in March of next year. While I have a fair understanding of the processes involving my wife, I am less sure about my two children: My step-daughter is (only) an American citizen and will be travelling under an American passport, and with my son I am unsure if he should enter Ireland under an American or Irish passport.

Should I contact a lawyer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I'd say if he has an Irish passport then why would he do anything but enter on an Irish passport? Are you trying to make work for the Gardai in immigration :p

As for your stepdaughter I have no idea what the story might be there but I'd say you'd be better off contacting the Department of Foreign Affairs than contacting a lawyer, you've been too long in the states :D

I hope the move works out for you cause you probably won't get back into the US the way things are.

EDIT: That's not meant to sound too facetious, sorry if it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

It appears that it will be easier to take my son out of American with an American passport, and then into Ireland with an Irish passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Welcome back ! Hope everyone settles in ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Fenster wrote: »
    It appears that it will be easier to take my son out of American with an American passport, and then into Ireland with an Irish passport.

It will definitely be easier to take him into Ireland with an Irish passport. It shouldn't make a difference leaving the country, the only reason you need a passport there is to make sure you are the person named on the ticket, you won't have to go through any immigration/emmigration leaving the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 chairlifter

Good luck with this, I recently did this too, and it is very difficult but hopfully everyone will settle in well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement