Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

www.istockphoto.com

• 21-12-2009 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

It's my first real post on boards.ie so i hope i manage to make some sense,
    anyway i started my first business in feb 2005 as a professional photographer in dundalk co.louth called www.lifestylephotography.ie and though my work load grew month on month i started to get a real pattern of my highs and lows within the business. I started to wonder what i could do on the months or weeks that i was doing nothing, when a commercial client happen to mention that they purchase some of there images from www.istockphoto.com, at first i was a bit miffed but then i quickly realized it was exactly what i was looking for to fill some of my free time and if there was a buck to made i wanted it, so of i went and opened a contributor account in march 2006. Though at first it seemed like a waste of time but i decided to stick with it and low and behold eventually after 2007 my portfolio grew big enough to actually start making me some money, and now i have even become a gettyimages.com contributor also which is starting of quite nicely thank you.

so i guess what i am trying to tell people is that its a great way to start your photographic career while building upon and creating your own style of photography with no pressure, it is also fun, exciting and challenging all by itself without taking on any other work.

so if your studying or just starting out like i was you should really give this some thought, it also trains you in the commercial aspect of things as most of your images end up on billboards, flyers books etc who knows where you will stop once you've created your very own account

kind regards
    m:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

My brother has his own graphics design company and uses the likes of iStock on a regular basis. He keeps telling me I should start taking a few snaps to put up there.
    I guess I'm not sure what kind of images to be creating and also whats considered hot and not.

Do you just upload all sorts of images or do you upload a specific subject?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭mindundalk

Hi DK32

Listen to your brother he's right, i started of experimenting at first until i found what sells for me.

people shots really work well

food is also a big big seller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pacman.podge

hey!!
    as a student with a big interest in photography.. would i have any potential of making a few bucks?..

Absolutely thats what go me into it in the first place,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pacman.podge

awhh savage ill look it up and give it a go!!! :D

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I use it too - make a few bob, but not much. Care to give us a look at your port in iStock ?

sorry dude no can do but if you pm me ill tell you a little more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Why can't you show us?:confused: I was about to ask the same to see the kind of quaility needed to be in a position where you're obviously making enough money and to be happy with the fee's etc.

EDIT: Remove your site url as anyone with a bit of sense will find your portfolio...Some nice shots!

yeah no probs i give in. if you search for mindundalk i should show up

good luck
    m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

icon14.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I've sold code snipets and stuff through istock in the past. I always convert my earnings to credits though.

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Why can't you show us?:confused: I was about to ask the same to see the kind of quaility needed to be in a position where you're obviously making enough money and to be happy with the fee's etc.

EDIT: Remove your site url as anyone with a bit of sense will find your portfolio...Some nice shots!

I put in the url to let people see i was real but thanks for the tip.

Thanks
    m

Advertisement