Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

orb in photo?

• 21-12-2009 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I've started a topic in paranormal section but thought i'd post here so someone well versed in photography could have a look too.
    Can anyone help explain this 'orb' in the image. it was taken the weekend,and all the pictures before and after don't have anything strange on it, just this one, so that rules out the camera, also it appears to have a structured maze-like pattern in it too.
    It wasn't touched up in photoshop either.

Anyway, i'd appreciate any help and advice you all have,
    Cheers
    BDB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Got a link to the image?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

Hiya,

I personally think that these orbs are simply specks of dust which may cause a slight blur or pick up and disperse a tiny amount of light coming through them. I've seen them many times on my photos. I don't think you can rule this out just because they don't appear on your other photos - a speck of dust could easily land on your lens and subsequently be blown or wiped off without you even realising, so I don't think you can categorically say that the camera is ruled out.

I used to think myself that there was something 'paranormal' about orbs (it's certainly a more exciting speculation) but I do think there are far more simple explanations to be had. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

DK32 wrote: »
    Got a link to the image?

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭bigdogbarking

so sorry guys :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Looks like a drop of water or a stain on your lens or sensor.

I doubt it's too hard to reproduce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Paulw wrote: »
    Looks like a drop of water or a stain on your lens or sensor.

I doubt it's too hard to reproduce.

Agree looks like a small splash, maybe a tiny droplet from a fizzy drink or if you had the lens up close to someone it could be a tiny droplet of saliva.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

To me it looks like something small, reflective that was in the air & has reflected back some of the flash. I would say it was only a couple of inches in front of the lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

I've started a topic in paranormal section

facepalm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭bigdogbarking

ColmDawson wrote: »
    facepalm.jpg

that was low, but deservedly so i suppose :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

It is dust, or sometimes a tiny insect. Easily recreated by taking a picture and then taking the same scene again a few seconds later after beating a dusty carpet in the air. At least that is how I tested the theory and it was spectacular.

Nothing paranormal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

CabanSail wrote: »
    To me it looks like something small, reflective that was in the air & has reflected back some of the flash. I would say it was only a couple of inches in front of the lens.

yep its from the flash reflecting off something in the air, like a bit of dust

http://brumac.8k.com/orb1.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Was there a pint of Heineken on the table ? Looks like a reflection of some kind of beer or ale

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

It could be a very small spaceship that just happened to be passing the lens & got caught in the flash (just to keep the paranormal lot happy)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I predict that CabanSail is going to say "It could be a very small spaceship that just happened to be passing the lens & got caught in the flash" ...

I predict that CabanSail is going to say "It could be a very small spaceship that just happened to be passing the lens & got caught in the flash" ...
    CabanSail wrote: »
    It could be a very small spaceship that just happened to be passing the lens & got caught in the flash (just to keep the paranormal lot happy)

whoohooo ! paranormal WIN !

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

whoohooo ! paranormal WIN !

I knew you were going to say that!

I knew you were going to say that!

Damnit ! It's as though you've stolen my paranormal joke and made it your own !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

That reminds me of my own paranormal photo, I still am amused/bemused by it !!!! Photo was @ 1/200 sec aswell !! any ideas ???

396A789578A943ED8B284F8B2560D05A-800.jpg

close up:

6EDEC900306746B4B1E5CC3515AAEFFF.jpg

........& I'll head on over to the paranormal forum aswell :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

It's quite clearly Superman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

Seeing as we're on the topic you don't think this could be aliens in their saucer?...:eek:

Japanese-Gardens_20080817_00104_edited_001.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

Kbeg3

It's lenticular (lense shaped) Clouds; they are high level and cold clouds usually associated with the lee slope of mountains or mountain ranges

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenticular_cloud

Burnt wrote: »
    Kbeg3

It's lenticular (lense shaped) Clouds; they are high level and cold clouds usually associated with the lee slope of mountains or mountain ranges

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenticular_cloud

Bah ! I knew the establishment goons would be along sooner or later, with their 'lenticular clouds' and their 'particles in front of the lens' and their 'science'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

Who told you about the secret global meteorological cover-up; with member from the various met offices, both the US and Russian military an the alien league's representative on earth Madonna?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Never mind the Orb....5 Euros for a gin!?! christ New Year isnt gonna be cheap is it...?:(

Advertisement