Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duck legs

Options
  • 21-12-2009 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone can tell me where is a good spot to pick up duck legs. The only place I have found so far that offers them is Marks and Spensers but they are pricey and don't seem to always be in stock. I have asked in a couple of butchers and none of them have had them. Also tried superquinn and no luck there either. I am based in Dublin.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Can the butchers not order them in for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭-maccer-

Hadn't thought of that, I was just told they didn't do them but maybe if I spoke to the right person they might be able to order them in. Will ask.

-maccer- wrote: »
    Hadn't thought of that, I was just told they didn't do them but maybe if I spoke to the right person they might be able to order them in. Will ask.

My butchers will always say they they'll get in whatever I want as long as I give them a day or two notice. Never asked for duck legs now, but I'm sure they'd be able to get them. If you're in the D8 part of town - Ennis Butchers in Rialto might have them. Worth a ring? They're pretty good!

Gave Ennis buthers a shout. They don't have them in stock but can order them in and there is no minimum order required. They couldn't give me a price but said they wouldn't be too expensive. Will give them a go in the new year, :)

Thanks for the advice.

Gave Ennis buthers a shout. They don't have them in stock but can order them in and there is no minimum order required. They couldn't give me a price but said they wouldn't be too expensive. Will give them a go in the new year, :)

Thanks for the advice.

No problem! :) They're extremely helpful - and their meat is some of the best I've eaten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭niall_belfast

Mind if I ask - what are you planning for the duck legs.. duck confit?

I'm dying to try to make this - never have before - any guidance would be really appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I've made a few batches of Confit of Duck. The recipe I use is from Dean & DeLuca cookbook. Most recipes call for the duck legs to be rubbed with Quatre Espices, then salted and laid on a tray of herbs overnight to take up the flavours. Then rub off the spices and salt and cook. I have found that the salt doesn't rub off - rather the the legs absorb the salt and are then quite salty once cooked. Next batch I'll use a large grained rock salt - something that won't dissolve easily and can be wiped off before cooking.

The other point is to choose a suitable container. First batch I stored in a wide, shallow pyrex tray with a close fitting plastic lid. The second batch I stored in a kilner jar. The glass tray was ideal. The duck legs were much easier to recover from their enrobing of fat. The kilner jar was awkward and didn't give up the legs easily.

As for salt petre, I have used it in one batch and not in the others. It doesn't make a whole lot of difference - I probably won't use it again as it is quite toxic.

Other points - cooking the duck legs in the duck fat will generate some cruddy bits - I take these off with a strainer. I grill the legs before cooking in the fat to crisp the skins. Then when I want to serve the legs, I cook them in the oven for 10 minutes to heat through, before grilling to crisp the skins.

Confit will store in the fridge for months as long as the meat is covered with the fat. Anyone tried storing in a larder or cool room?

Mind if I ask - what are you planning for the duck legs.. duck confit?

I'm dying to try to make this - never have before - any guidance would be really appreciated!

I think Duck Confit would be a bit too complex for me,! Just going to do a simple roast duck leg with orange sauce. Have been looking for a good recipe but after a lot of googling still havn't found one that I really like. Any suggestions appreciated...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

I think Duck Confit would be a bit too complex for me,! Just going to do a simple roast duck leg with orange sauce. Have been looking for a good recipe but after a lot of googling still havn't found one that I really like. Any suggestions appreciated...

Use fresh fruit to make the sauce yourself, sweetening with either sugar or jam/marmalade. If you're not strictly intent on sticking with oranges, plums are a good fruit for a sauce with roast duck. Just cut them up and heat in a saucepan, adding some sort of jam to sweeten.

Tesco's were selling packs of duck's legs a couple of months ago, not sure if they still are now, but worth a look.

Advertisement