Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Team of the Decade

• 21-12-2009 5:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

Nearing the end of the decade, just wondering what team people thought were the team of the decade i.e. the best team. Will include clubs/countries.

Poll getting added

Team of the decade 168 votes

Barcelona 08-09
    0% 0 votes
    Man Utd 07-08
    34% 58 votes
    AC Milan 06-07
    18% 31 votes
    Liverpool 04-05
    0% 1 vote
    Real Madrid 01-02
    4% 7 votes
    Bayern Munich 00-01
    1% 3 votes
    Chelsea 08-09
    0% 0 votes
    Brazil 2002
    0% 0 votes
    Italy 2006
    2% 4 votes
    Spain 2008
    1% 2 votes
    Argentina 2006
    7% 13 votes
    France 2006
    0% 0 votes
    Gabriel Batistuta
    0% 0 votes
    Arsenal Invincibles
    4% 8 votes
    Chelsea (Mourinho era)
    24% 41 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Ah now, how did Liverpool 04-05, make it in there and the Arsenal of 03-04 not make it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

And the winner is......Arsenals invincibles......wait...what?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

What about Arsenals Invincibles?

Also Chelsea 04/05 & 05/06 >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Chelsea 08/09

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeh, em, Invincibles? Chelsea under Mourinho?

Barcelona 08-09 are the winners for me. They were just unreal. A treble is a once in a decade achievement, and thus, the team of the decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

thorbarry wrote: »
    Ah now, how did Liverpool 04-05, make it in there and the Arsenal of 03-04 not make it?

Forgot about them - how do I add to the poll?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Gotta be that Arsenal team that went the whole sea......wait a minute.....

Serious fail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Barcelona 09-10 IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

/end thread please.

If a mod can add Arsenal so and Mourinho's Chelsea.

TBH really only Barca 08-09, Real Madrid 01-02 and Brazil 2002 are the only real candidates. Barca 08-09 are definitely the best - to win everything they entered is truely remarkable - 6 trophies in a calendar year - never done before and probably never again unless they do it again next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Has to be Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Anyone who says anything other than Liverpool 04-05 is lying to themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Indeed

Liverpool 09/10

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Liverpool 09/10

Winner alright,
    best comedy
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

PHB wrote: »
    Barcelona 08-09 are the winners for me. They were just unreal. A treble is a once in a decade achievement, and thus, the team of the decade.
    Going unbeaten is even less likely and more incredible, and thats why I chose the invincibles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Barca won the treble last year, Liverpool may have won the CL in 04-05, but they also finished 5th in the league, were knocked out of the FA Cup by Burnley & lost the League Cup final to Chelsea. The only person lying to themselves around here, is yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Has to be Barca 08/09. Play beautiful football and did a treble which included the brilliant win over United in the Champion's League Final. Would have had the United 07/08 second for the League and Europe double and then Arsenal 03/04 in third.

I think the Barca juggernaut will keep rolling this year too.

Barca won the treble last year, Liverpool may have won the CL in 04-05, but they also finished 5th in the league, were knocked out of the FA Cup by Burnley & lost the League Cup final to Chelsea. The only person lying to themselves around here, is yourself.

It might not have been the team of the decade but was up there with the most remarkable acheivements of the decade.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Invincibles.

Milan 02-03 > Milan 06-07.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Barca last season marginally over the Invincibles. Wish they'd had a slightly deeper squad as the treble was there for the taking that season. There were just too many games for Vieira in the end.

United 07/08, Mourinho's first season at Chelsea and Spain 2008 all hugely impressive teams also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

What criteria are people using for this? Nicest football played, or most effective football played? Success?

if it is success, you have to say the Man Utd team of the last 10 years, or the Barcelona team - the latter winning 2 CLs, and 4 leagues, while man u dominated their domestic league and were more often than not at the business end of the CL, winning one and losing one final.

Anyway, I said Barcelona 08/09 becasue I am biased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Chelsea under Mourinho or Arsenal's Invincibles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Maybe slightly very biased, but has to be United 07/08 for me. We could very easily have added the FA Cup to the other 3 trophies. Saw the best player in the world have the best season he's ever likely to have, and the manner in which the CL was won makes it even more special. The perfect way to commemorate '58.

Chelsea's first title winning team under Mourinhio for me - 95 points was remarkable, closely followed by the invincibles.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Maybe slightly very biased, but has to be United 07/08 for me. We could very easily have added the FA Cup to the other 3 trophies. Saw the best player in the world have the best season he's ever likely to have, and the manner in which the CL was won makes it even more special. The perfect way to commemorate '58.
    I think you may be; Barca the following season did win their cup competition and they won the CL by comprehensively outplaying their opponents in the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Has to be Barca from last season. Theres no need for explanation why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

i was obviously joking

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

Forget that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭G1032

Got to be the Invincibles. 49 games unbeaten only for the run to be ended by a Wayne Rooney dive...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Liverpool 09/10
    seeing we are voting along club lines it has to be..

Liverpool+FC+v+AC+Milan+UEFA+Champions+League+football+Cup+final+May+25th+2005.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

gimmick wrote: »
    if it is success, you have to say the Man Utd team of the last 10 years, or the Barcelona team - the latter winning 2 CLs, and 4 leagues, while man u dominated their domestic league and were more often than not at the business end of the CL, winning one and losing one final.

We're talking about individual groups of players (i.e. team not club). In this decade alone United have turned over their first team about 3 times, so you can't use the success over the entire decade as the benchmark. It's a slightly different achievement.

And I don't think it's fair either to call Rijkaard's team the same as Pep's. Yes, there are a lot of similarities, but there are some subtle differences, primarily in the way Rijkaard's team on the field was built around Ronaldinho whereas Pep has made them slightly less dependent on individual virtuosity.
    Barca last season marginally over the Invincibles. Wish they'd had a slightly deeper squad as the treble was there for the taking that season. There were just too many games for Vieira in the end.

Sums up me own feelings on the issue. These two are the main standouts because it will be so long before either is replicated again.

However, special mention is also deserved for the Real Madrid team that won the Champions League and then the La Liga the next year (primarily because of Zidane), the Valencia that won two La Liga's and came so close to Champions League success and also the AC Milan team of 02/03/04 who were very hard to play against because of their experience and also the clinical finishing of Shevchenko.

Along with Chelsea under Mourinho and United with Ronaldo these are all the main teams of the decade that I will remember.

Why Gabrielle Batistuta on his own in poll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

Barca for me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Just has to be Barcelona 08-09,I am tempted to just close the thread and poll and give it to them now as its the correct answer.

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote: »
    Just has to be Barcelona 08-09,I am tempted to just close the thread and poll and give it to them now as its the correct answer.
    wouldn't have a problem with that. Football last season was exquisite.

Why Gabrielle Batistuta on his own in poll

It was Batigol or Paul McShane/Atari Jaguar so I went for Batistuta.

The Brazil team of 2002 featured Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Denilson, Lucio and Gilberto Silva and they havn't gotten 1 vote? Still Barca though. They are simply a joy to watch. I dont think there has ever been a more attractive footballing side. They score bagloads of goals, concede very few and have just won everything:

La Liga
    Copa Del Rey
    Champions League
    Spanish Super-Cup
    European Super-Cup
    World Club Championships

How can they not be the team of the decade. They are as close to a perfect side as you will find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

The Juve team from 2001-03 definitely deserves a nomination at least. Were the last great team (although you could include the Milan team that beat them) Serie A's best ever period and won it twice in a row and lost a Champion's League final on penos all after losing Zizou.

Also the french team's swansong at Euro 2000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Has to be Barcelona.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Has the be the Invincibles... never been done before and in such a tough league.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Take the joke and move on.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Id like to apologize for voting United. I'm a United fan and after clicking vote, I realized I was only lying to myself. Both Arsenal and Barca are much more deserving winners.

We had the best defence in Europe in 07-08 and a great strikeforce, but still doensnt come close to either the Invincibles or Barca last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Grunching a bit because I know those talking about Liverpool 04 / 05 are mostly taking the piss; but the 2000 / 2001 Liverpool team under Houllier was probably a better squad. Won more games, won more trophies, finished with 15 more points in the league than the 04 / 05 squad, and while the CL win was more impressive, the UEFA cup team had a tough enough schedule:

2001 UEFA Cup opponents:

Rapid Bucharest
    FC Slovan Liberec
    Olympiakos
    Roma
    Porto
    Barcelona
    Alaves

2005 Champions League Opponents:

Grazer AK
    Deportivo
    Monaco
    Olympiakos
    Bayern Leverkusen
    Juventus
    Chelsea
    AC Milan

And there isn't much to pick in terms of the football played by either side. Both teams got their big wins through being tough, well organised, defensively strong and living on the counter attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

It might not have been the team of the decade but was up there with the most remarkable acheivements of the decade.

Winning the champions league final?

Not that much of an achievement, some one does ite very year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Fuhrer wrote: »

Not that much of an achievement, some one does ite very year...

lol!

Riddle me this, in order to get to a final (and win it!) would you agree you have to progress through all the rounds? And while we're on the subject, you wouldn't be attempting to argue that achieving such a feat in the Champions League is no big deal? Or would you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Has to be either invincibles or barca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    lol!

Riddle me this, in order to get to a final (and win it!) would you agree you have to progress through all the rounds? And while we're on the subject, you wouldn't be attempting to argue that achieving such a feat in the Champions League is no big deal? Or would you?
    An achievement? Yes. Comparable to Barcelona of last year or Arsenal of a few years ago? No.

Fuhrer wrote: »

Not that much of an achievement

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    lol!

Yes I am, someone wins the Champions League every year, we are talking about the best team of the decade, you want to pick a team that lucked its way through one competition while failing in all the others?

How about picking Portsmoth that year they won the FA cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Barca, easily. won everything with brilliant football.

closely followed by the Arsenal Invincibles.

people picking Liverpool are obviously taking the p*ss, with some taking the bait quite spectacularly.

great achievement; not a 'great' team. we all know this.

next.

• Advertisement
Advertisement