Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Team of the Decade

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Got to be the Invincibles. 49 games unbeaten only for the run to be maintained by a Pires dive then ended by a Wayne Rooney dive...........

FYP.

:o

Barca last season for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

For club teams, the team must have won their domestic league and then probably the CL. That quickly knocks out the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool. As for the "Invincibles", they weren't too invincible in Europe, were they?

Probably Barca from last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

FatherTed wrote: »
    For club teams, the team must have won their domestic league and then probably the CL. That quickly knocks out the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool. Probably Barca from last year.

while i take your point, a season unbeaten in the league is a special feat.

chelsea winning with that huge points tally probably warrants their inclusion on the list, added to that the long unbeaten run they had at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

An achievement? Yes. Comparable to Barcelona of last year or Arsenal of a few years ago? No.
    Fuhrer wrote: »
    Yes I am, someone wins the Champions League every year, we are talking about the best team of the decade, you want to pick a team that lucked its way through one competition while failing in all the others?

How about picking Portsmoth that year they won the FA cup?

Do people even read posts anymore? Where did I say I felt Liverpool belonged in the "Team of the Decade" discussion? At the same time, Liverpool (or any team) winning the CL is a significant achievement. Laughing it off as "they won one game, so what?" is lol bitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Winning the champions league final?

Not that much of an achievement, some one does ite very year...
    You dont say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Do people even read posts anymore? Where did I say I felt Liverpool belonged in the "Team of the Decade" discussion? At the same time, Liverpool (or any team) winning the CL is a significant achievement. Laughing it off as "they won one game, so what?" is lol bitter.
    I probably shouldnt have quoted your post in mine, but my point is that winning the champions league while finishing fifth domestically is nothing in comparison to what others on that list acheived.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Did you even read my post?

Or did the need to get high and mighty overcome you yet again?

This thread is purely about the team of the decade, Liverpool werent even the team of the season in England. Their achievement is nothing siginificant as it is done every single season. How many times does a team win the league without losing a game in it? How many times do a team win the league with a high point tally like chelsea? How many teams have won the league three times in a room like United?

Compare those three to Liverpool winning the champions league in one season and nothing else, yes, Liverpools win looks insignificant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

had to be the invincibles, going the season unbeaten is an amazing achievement;
    wikipedia wrote:
    Arsenal then emulated Preston's unbeaten run in the 2003-2004 season going unbeaten for all 38 games, almost twice as many league games as Preston had played... Their final record for the 2003-2004 league campaign stood at 26 wins, 12 draws and 0 losses, out of 38 games total, an unbeaten run not matched in any single season by any team in an English league division

says it all really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

In terms of enjoyment, Barca 08-09 followed closely by Liverpool 09-10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Barcelona last season for me, followed by United, then "the Invincebles". Arsenal's achievement in the league was great, but I personally think United winning the league, and the Champions League in the same season is a better acheivement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

but I personally think United winning the league, and the Champions League in the same season is a better acheivement

If that's the case, then why has no one been able to replicate Arsenal's achievement? Surely that's the mark of a truly great team, no?

If that's the case, then why has no one been able to replicate Arsenal's achievement? Surely that's the mark of a truly great team, no?

Show me another English team that has won the CL and PL in one season? No one else has done that - mark of a great team, no?

For me, winning two trophies that are very hard to win, is a better achievement than winning just one, regardless of how it is won.

Show me another English team that has won the CL and PL in one season? No one else has done that - mark of a great team, no?

Umm...

United have already done it in 99.

Liverpool did it twice.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Forest did it too didn't they?

Umm...

United have already done it in 99.

Liverpool did it twice.

I do believe I said PL and CL. The Treble team were excellent too. If we were voting for a team of the 90/99 decade I'd be voting for the Treble team.

Preston went the season unbeaten if you want to go by your logic of using different competitions using different structures - Preston also won the FA Cup without conceding a goal that season.

United also won more games in 07/08 than the 'Invincibles' did.

• Advertisement

I do believe I said PL and CL.

oh right, you were being pedantic. I should have guessed...

The achievement that has been done only once in over 120 years of professional football vs. the achievement that wasn't even done but a decade ago. Says it all imo.

edit: as for the invincibles being replicated by PReston, it's not the fact they weren't beaten over a season, it's the sheer number of games that comprised the run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

:rolleyes: Why oh why would you say that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Another Sky Boy who thinks football began in 1992.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

For me, winning two trophies that are very hard to win, is a better achievement than winning just one, regardless of how it is won.

Great point the last two times Man Utd have won the European cup they have also won the Premier league too.

Even last season United had chance to win the lot and gave it good go.

I am United fan yes and im not trying cause any real arguemnt but when Liverpool won the European cup in 2005 they did so at the price of finshing 5th behind Everton that same season just think it puts Uniteds acheivements in last three seasons into a much greater and better light as far as I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

m@cc@ wrote: »
    In terms of enjoyment, Liverpool 09-10.

I've enjoyed their season a lot so far!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Funny that Bayern also doing the league and CL double in 2001 hasn't got a single vote. Porto also did it in 2004 as did Barca :( in 2006.

Another Sky Boy who thinks football began in 1992.

So, is the CL the same as the European Cup? Is it the same amount of games, did the best 3/4 teams from the top leagues play in the euro cup? Nope - the CL is very different to the European Cup. If you disagree you are just being stubborn. More games and more 'big' teams in the CL than were in the Euro Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

So, is the CL the same as the European Cup? Is it the same amount of games, did the best 3/4 teams from the top leagues play in the euro cup? Nope - the CL is very different to the European Cup. If you disagree you are just being stubborn. More games and more 'big' teams in the CL than were in the Euro Cup.

It's actually very similar to the last decade when you look at it. Who were the better team. The Man Utd treble winning side or the AC Milan side who went unbeaten for even longer than the Arsenal side. Some people value one, utter domination in one league (like Arsenal) or another (winning everything in a year like Barca)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Arsenal Invincables for me!

Some team they had back then!! Best side to ever win the Premiership for me!
    Jens Lehmann: 

Lauren: Kolo Toure: Sol Campbell: Ashley Cole: 

Ljungberg: Gilberto Silva: Patrick Vieira: Robert Pires: 

Bergkamp: Henry: 

jank wrote: »

Jens Lehmann: 

Nah - United 98/99.

Both are excellent teams

Nah - United 98/99.

Both are excellent teams

Did they go through the league unbeaten? ;)

Nah - they won the FA Cup and CL though, I know I'd make that trade!!:D;)

Nah - they won the FA Cup and CL though, I know I'd make that trade!!:D;)

Well I did say to win the premiership so that point is mute!:D

Well I did say to win the premiership so that point is mute!:D

Moot point - OH YEAH!! SUCK IT!!:D:D:p:D:D

No - but have Arsenal won anything since? Their trophy cabinet must be bursting with that FA Cup from 5 years ago. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

People have such short memories, the 2002 Brazil team was definitely the best team of the decade.

Cafu, Lucio,Roberto Carlos, Gilberto Silva, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Dida, Juninho Paulista, Kaka.

With the majority of these players being at their peak.

And the team only has 3 votes....bunch of goldfish....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think the Barca team last year was superior to United's not only because they won the treble, which is just unreal, but they beat United in normal time, didn't need the penos like United did to beat Chelsea.

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    People have such short memories, the 2002 Brazil team was definitely the best team of the decade.

Cafu, Lucio,Roberto Carlos, Gilberto Silva, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Dida, Juninho Paulista, Kaka.

With the majority of these players being at their peak.

And the team only has 3 votes....bunch of goldfish....

Is there really a need for you to throw in an insult whilst making your opinion known?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

International football doesn't impress me. I've no doubt that the Barca team last year would beat pretty much any international football team in the decade. I'd say the same of the United team in 07/08.

They play together more, they are much better able to fix any weaknesses in the squads, as they don't have a finite pool of players, and they have better managers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Undoubtably the Arsenal "Invincibles" gave the most complete performance of all time in the English League. To go a whole season, playing 38 matches unbeaten is incredible especially when you consider that as you continue the run teams try harder and harder to stop you. It is a testament to the team spirit and talent involved in that team. Bergkamp and Henry in top form were arguably the best partnership the League has ever seen.

That said Barcelona gave the most complete performance in all competitions last season. Anyone that watched them throughout last season would agree with this. They destroyed teams playing fantasy football. For anyone into stats theirs were off the chart. Their average possession stats were close to 70% with a pass accuracy of nearly 90%. Tbh fcuk the stats, you could just see their superiority on the pitch. They toyed with so many teams and the trio of Xavi, Iniesta and Messi were unplayable. It is no surprise to see them named in the current World XI along with Alves. Simply the team of the decade.

Frankly to be the team of the decade you have to have won a title outside of your domestic league which rules Arsenal out straight away. They didnt make it past the 1/4 finals stage in the CL where they were beaten by Chelsea. They may have been the team of the decade in the EPL but definitely not in a global sense.

Hank_Jones wrote: »

Cafu (legend),
    Lucio (overrated, especially defensively),
    Roberto Carlos (legend),
    Gilberto Silva (good),
    Ronaldo (awesome),
    Rivaldo (awesome),
    Ronaldinho (awesome),
    Dida (very overrated),
    Juninho Paulista (never hit heights for his country),
    Kaka (awesome - but played half an hour in that World Cup).

not definitely at all. and many were not in their prime at all.

it should have more than 3 votes maybe, but Barca 08/09 especially, and Arsenal's Invincibles compare favourably enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

No - but have Arsenal won anything since? Their trophy cabinet must be bursting with that FA Cup from 5 years ago. ;)

But have played some unbelievable football during this period.

Warper wrote: »
    To go a whole season, playing 38 matches unbeaten is incredible

That depends - you could draw all 38 & end up relugated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Jens Lehmann: 

Pains me to say it, but your spot on there.. Cannot compete with this achievement... oh hold on Barcelona are there..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,011 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Only one Barcelona option in the poll.

I don't have a short memory, there have been some incredible teams this decade but the most recent Barca team for me is the best team I've ever seen.
    Rijkaard's Barca team was superb too and imo the second best team of the decade was his team of 05/06.
    Whats even more amazing about this poll is that the third best team for me is not even in the poll, that being the Porto team of 03/04, the team that won Uefa Cup the year previously and won the Champion's League, Portugese League and Super Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I voted for Arsenal but the real answer is of course Shelbourne 2006

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Barca 08/09 was epic.

Messi, Iniesta, Xavi and Eto'o all pressing high up the pitch ensured Barca were always on the front font. They didn't just win all 6 available trophies but look at the performances they put in! the Bayern rump was amazing, the 6-2 in Madrid was absurd! and the 6-1 demoltion of Seville is still playing over in my mind! ( obviously there's more examples)

They really did clean up last season and the best of luck to Pep in maintaining his new collection of Trophies!

All that aside.. the most consistent TEAM and not SQUAD of the decade has been Man Utd and closely followed by Chelsea.

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    Barca 08/09 was epic.

Messi, Iniesta, Xavi and Eto'o all pressing high up the pitch ensured Barca were always on the front font. They didn't just win all 6 available trophies but look at the performances they put in! the Bayern rump was amazing, the 6-2 in Madrid was absurd! and the 6-1 demoltion of Seville is still playing over in my mind! ( obviously there's more examples)

They really did clean up last season and the best of luck to Pep in maintaining his new collection of Trophies!

All that aside.. the most consistent TEAM and not SQUAD of the decade has been Man Utd and closely followed by Chelsea.
    Yeah but this is the team of decade thread not most consistent team of the decade thread. Tick one box only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Yeah but this is the team of decade thread not most consistent team of the decade thread. Tick one box only

Jesus Christ, who took a shit in your corn flakes?

Archimedes wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, who took a shit in your corn flakes?
    Post 93

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

If you look at things from the perspective of consistency over the decade the likes of Lyons and Bayern Munich would have to be considered.
    They both dominated what are decent domestic leagues over the 10 year period.

Indeed - TEAM of the Decade. Not Team of a Season of a decade. The mark of a great team is repeated success imo.

this poll is about a specific group of players for any given season.

there's nothing wrong with that.

if you guys want to start a 'Club of the Decade' or something, it'd probably get some interest too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Arsenal invincibles for me :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

SlickRic wrote: »
    this poll is about a specific group of players for any given season.

there's nothing wrong with that.

if you guys want to start a 'Club of the Decade' or something, it'd probably get some interest too.

Maybe it would be best to rename this thread 'best team during the decade'
    As stated before by others strictly speaking team of decade would be the one that performed most consistently over that 10 year period.
    To see Liverpool nominated for an award with the words team of the decade involved I find very amusing. In fact I reckon I would blush if I was a pool fan that can remember the great team of the 80s.Might as well put the Greek team that won the European Championships in while we are at it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement