Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Team of the Decade

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Why, oh why are there so many dícks on the football forum???

Anyway, Barcelona for me, who played some of the best football I have ever seen, followed by Arsenal, who went a total of 49 games unbeaten.

Both amazing feats if you ask me. Even if I don't place much weight on those friendly competitions, Barcelona mopping up all 6 competitions entered is very impressive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

jasonorr wrote: »
    Why, oh why are there so many dícks on the football forum???

Anyway, Barcelona for me, who played some of the best football I have ever seen, followed by Arsenal, who went a total of 49 games unbeaten.

Both amazing feats if you ask me. Even if I don't place much weight on those friendly competitions, Barcelona mopping up all 6 competitions entered is very impressive!

Would you care to expand on this please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Maybe it would be best to rename this thread 'best team during the decade'
    As stated before by others strictly speaking team of decade would be the one that performed most consistently over that 10 year period.
    To see Liverpool nominated for an award with the words team of the decade involved I find very amusing. In fact I reckon I would blush if I was a pool fan that can remember the great team of the 80s.Might as well put the Greek team that won the European Championships in while we are at it.

Lets not get all pedantic about the thread title. By having the year after the team name its obvious what the thread is about.

Warper wrote: »
    Lets not get all pedantic about the thread title. By having the year after the team name its obvious what the thread is about.

I know its a bit pedantic of me and i did vote for Barcelona 08-09 but Im also right:D

Would you care to expand on this please?

Expand without singling anybody out? Not really! It never ceases to amaze me how petty people are in the football forums and how most people would prefer to say "you're wrong" than give a valid reason as to why that might be the case or take on board the fact that most opinions on here are just that, personal opinions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Yeah but this is the team of decade thread not most consistent team of the decade thread. Tick one box only

And forums are not for discussion?

any way, I think its pretty obvious what we are voting for here, and I did have it as an aside after my main topic :)

Expand without singling anybody out? Not really! It never ceases to amaze me how petty people are in the football forums and how most people would prefer to say "you're wrong" than give a valid reason as to why that might be the case!

Thank god I always give valid reasons then! For a second there I thought you were on about the likes of me.
    I hope that people will cop on to themselves now and not post things that upset you.
    Pity everyone can't agree on everything. This would be such an exciting place then.

Thank god I always give valid reasons then! For a second there I thought you were on about the likes of me.
    I hope that people will cop on to themselves now and not post things that upset you.
    Pity everyone can't agree on everything. This would be such an exciting place then.

I don't mind people not agreeing with me or other people, just the way they go about it!

I don't mind people not agreeing with me or other people, just the way they go about it!

I think you deserve dessert after your dinner this evening.

What people going about what are you referring to though:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

To see Liverpool nominated for an award with the words team of the decade involved I find very amusing. In fact I reckon I would blush if I was a pool fan that can remember the great team of the 80s.Might as well put the Greek team that won the European Championships in while we are at it.

Liverpool fans are taking the p*ss, and posters like you are taking the bait quite spectacularly.

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    Liverpool fans are taking the p*ss, and posters like you are taking the bait quite spectacularly.

No I think some of them are blinkered enough to believe they would be worthy of this title.
    I was giving an opinion thats all.
    Your poll anyway. I will leave it to you.

No I think some of them are blinkered enough to believe they would be worthy of this title.

my poll? interesting.

nobody's actually blinkered enough to believe that team was better than the barca team.

some may have just wanted recognition for an amazing achievement. or were just having a bit of fun.

i mean the Internet is serious business and all that.

my poll? interesting.

nobody's actually blinkered enough to believe that team was better than the barca team.

some may have just wanted recognition for an amazing achievement. or were just having a bit of fun.

i mean the Internet is serious business and all that.

Why bother putting them in so? Batistuta was funny but putting Liverpool in isnt really IMO
    Just realised its not your poll sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,011 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I noticed that somebody was left out and posted about it earlier. Maybe you might spend some time discussing that instead of the fact that there is a Liverpool team in it.

Why bother putting them in so? Bataustia was funny but putting Liverpool in isnt really IMO

in your opinion...

and maybe someone put them in because that achievement was a magnificent achievement on that night, and with that team.

i'd have had Greece in for the craic myself, seen as that was a huge achievement itself.

i don't believe either were great teams at all, but putting them in, while reflecting on, laughing about and respecting them is fine in my book.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I noticed that somebody was left out and posted about it earlier. Maybe you might spend some time discussing that instead of the fact that there is a Liverpool team in it.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Was tough to decide between Arsenals Invincibles, Barcas current team and Brazil of '02.
    For me Brazil had tremendous talent throughout their team but as a poster pointed out above, Kaka barely featured, Dida is not a world class keeper (altough neither are Lehmann or Valdes), their centre halves were slightly dodgy and they relied on Ronaldo arguably too much. Still an unbelievable team though having said that.

Barcelona on paper are probably the best out of the lot, also they have won 6 trophies in this calender year which is nothing short of amazing, possibly the reason I wouldn't award them this is biast because I havn't seen them play all that much, thats my reason for not voting for them as whenever I have watched them their football has not been as good as Arsenals in their hayday.

Arsenal were nearly the ultimate team, 49 games unbeaten would prove this, a league title, football that was a joy to watch (never witnessed better football tbh), and a squad of players which was assembled for not a great deal of money compared to a lot of teams nowadays. They got my vote anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I'm a Liverpool supporter, and I have to say Man United (not any particular season, just over this decade).

PL - 3 years on the trot, 6 out of this decade alone (5 from the previous decade too), 1 FA Cup, 2 League Cups, 3 Charity Shields, 1 CL & 1 World Club Championship.

For those reasons, I've chosen the only United Team listed above.

If I was to chose a Liverpool team, it would be 2001. All the 'Cups', FA Cup, Charity Shield, League Cup, UEFA Cup, Super Cup.

Dida was not the Brazil keeper for this WC - he was the sub. Marcos was the keeper and he was truly a legend back in District 9 of Rio de Janeiro.

• Advertisement

I'm a Liverpool supporter, and I have to say Man United (not any particular season, just over this decade).

PL - 3 years on the trot, 6 out of this decade alone (5 from the previous decade too), 1 FA Cup, 2 League Cups, 3 Charity Shields, 1 CL & 1 World Club Championship.

If I was to chose a Liverpool team, it would be 2001. All the 'Cups', FA Cup, Charity Shield, League Cup, UEFA Cup, Super Cup.

Barcelona have won 6 titles this year alone - beat that and I'm talking the Top titles including the CL and La Liga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Barcelona have won 6 titles this year alone - beat that and I'm talking the Top titles including the CL and La Liga.

True, and its a great achievement. But in fairness, I'm looking at it from the whole decade point of view, and for that reason, United get my vote (even though they've only won 1 major Euro trophy).

6 out of their 11 trophies this decade came this year, so taking that into account, they don't get my vote as overall team of the decade.

I had posted the Liverpool 2001 team, as IMO that was more successful than the 04/05 CL winning team, and would have that team in there instead of the CL team.

I'd still vote for United though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Feeky Magee

Yes, but you're also talking "titles" like the Super Cup and Spain's equivelant of the Community Shield.

Nonetheless, even as a United fan, it has to be Barca 08/09.

Also, Liverpool 04/05 shouldn't be in the poll, and the Arsenal Invincibles polling second? Great achievement yes, but they drew a lot of games, 12 in total. They achieved just 90 points, a total which has been eclipsed 3 times this decade alone, by Chelsea (x2) and United, and equalled by United as well. So in fact, their points total was in fact only the joint-fourth highest of the decade. Add to this, their failure to progress to the final of any other tournament, and I hardly see how they were the second best team of the decade.

and the Arsenal Invincibles polling second? Great achievement yes, but they drew a lot of games, 12 in total. They achieved just 90 points, a total which has been eclipsed 3 times this decade alone, by Chelsea (x2) and United, and equalled by United as well. So in fact, their points total was in fact only the joint-fourth highest of the decade. Add to this, their failure to progress to the final of any other tournament, and I hardly see how they were the second best team of the decade.

fair enough points.

but it could be argued that they played really beautiful football on top of it, and you can't belittle the achievement of going an entire season in the domestic league unbeaten; no matter the amount of games drawn.

they're more than worthy of their place in the poll.

But what makes that team better than, say, Chelsea in 2004-05 just because they didn't lose and Chelsea lost once? Chelsea amassed five more points, and also won another competition, the Carling Cup. And as I recall, Arsenal should have been beaten by Portsmouth, only for a ridiculous Pires dive.

Yet they are outscoring Mourinho's Chelsea 38-8, purely because of one game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

The Spanish side that one The European Championship does it for me. Barca come a very close second.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

The Spanish side that one The European Championship does it for me. Barca come a very close second.
    Btw should we not be really grouping that Milan team with team that lost to Pool in 05 to team that won two years later. Pretty much the same team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

And Marcos Senna.:D

Yet they are outscoring Mourinho's Chelsea 38-8, purely because of one game.

it's not because of one game.

people remember the quality of the football, and acknowledge the achievement in getting through the Premiership season unbeaten.

it's not because of one game.

people remember the quality of the football, and acknowledge the achievement in getting through the Premiership season unbeaten.

I'd agree with that, Chelsea under Mourinho were never really known for amazing displays of attacking football, which under Ancelotti they have shown they are now capable of, if not consistently. They were very, very solid but, even still they didn't manage an unbeaten season.

I'd still argue that points total > games unbeaten. It's a greater achievement going W W W W L than W D W D W. That's why it's rewarded with more points.

• Advertisement

I'd still argue that points total > games unbeaten. It's a greater achievement going W W W W L than W D W D W. That's why it's rewarded with more points.

Argue away, I just think that it's such a unique achievement, which hasn't been done since 1889 and even then, there were just 22 games. I'd be amazed to see it done again anytime soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Arsenal Invincibles was a class apart

iv huge respect for Arsenal and what they did was exquisite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Liverpool 04-05 7 votes. LOL.:pac:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

True, and its a great achievement. But in fairness, I'm looking at it from the whole decade point of view, and for that reason, United get my vote (even though they've only won 1 major Euro trophy).
    Why? Why not Bayern? They've won as many CL and leagues as United this decade, and they've won their domestic cup more often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Under the old 2 points per win system they would have gotten the same tally so you can just as easily argue it's just a quirk of the points system. That WWWWL means you might have played utter sh*te in a game. Whereas an unbeaten run such as the WDWDW typically requires you to maintain your performance to some level at least in all games to keep your opponents out, which is arguably a much more difficult achievement given how many games are the Premier League and how easily players can succumb to fatigue.

Why? Why not Bayern? They've won as many CL and leagues as United this decade, and they've won their domestic cup more often.

Careful Now!
    People here get very sensitive when you suggest a team not included in the poll or for that matter suggest that one of the teams in the poll should not be there;)
    You got to realise the title of the thread is somewhat misleading. Its not team of the decade but best team in a season during the decade.
    If it was a team of the decade poll you would have Bayern, Lyon, Utd, Chelsea, Inter, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Brazil as contenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,011 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Careful Now!
    People here get very sensitive when you suggest a team not included in the poll or for that matter suggest that one of the teams in the poll should not be there;)
    You got to realise the title of the thread is somewhat misleading. Its not team of the decade but best team in a season during the decade.
    If it was a team of the decade poll you would have Bayern, Lyon, Utd, Chelsea, Inter, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Brazil as contenders.
    And over one season Porto 2003/04 under Mourinho should be there too, winning the Champions League, the Portugese league, the Portugese Super Cup and the Intercontinental cup.

And Porto should also be considered for best club of the decade also having won a Champion's League, Uefa Cup, Intercontinental cup, 6 League titles, and 9 domestic cup wins.

eagle eye wrote: »
    And over one season Porto 2003/04 under Mourinho should be there too, winning the Champions League, the Portugese league, the Portugese Super Cup and the Intercontinental cup.

And Porto should also be considered for best club of the decade also having won a Champion's League, Uefa Cup, Intercontinental cup, 6 League titles, and 9 domestic cup wins.

Good point. Defintely a true contender.

Advertisement