Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too young to sail around the world

Options
  • 21-12-2009 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

Laura Dekker is a young Dutch girl. Her dream is to be the youngest to sail solo around the world. This dream was stopped by the Dutch child napping agency and she got placed in foster care.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8226196.stm

Now what can we learn from this? The answer is government knows best, it is ok for a kid to grow up into a celebrity worshiping zombie, it is not ok to be a free spirit because then the government will take your kids away from you and make sure that they grow up into mindless celebrity worshiping zombies.

The courts agreed that her sailing skills was good enough for her to undertake this voyage, but they were concerned "about her saftey and education".
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/dec/20/laura-dekker-missing

Most people go through 12 years of school without learning anything of value so I don't see what she would "miss" by not attending government funded "education" for 2 years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Solo sailing is boring and dangerous. The boredom of a round the world trip would drive a normal adult a little bit bonkers. It might be a good idea not to let a twelve year old kid to it, I would worry about her mental health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

lightening wrote: »
    Solo sailing is boring and dangerous. The boredom of a round the world trip would drive a normal adult a little bit bonkers. It might be a good idea not to let a twelve year old kid to it, I would worry about her mental health.
    You sound just like another busybody who knows what's best for people's kids, I guess you prefer her to grow up into a sex and the-city type of drone. Can't stand independent people can you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Anybody with a modicum of intelligence would know that would be madness to let a 12 year old sail alone around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I think it is a pretty insane idea to let a 12 year old sail around the world on there own. Sure there is plenty of time to sail around the world, when there older and better able to handle the situation.

SLUSK wrote: »
    You sound just like another busybody who knows what's best for people's kids, I guess you prefer her to grow up into a sex and the-city type of drone. Can't stand independent people can you?

Woah... easy tiger, I'm not a busy body but I am an experienced sailor, and the Southern Ocean isn't the place for a twelve year old kid to be alone. She's a minor. I admire her ambition (not her parents). Google "this is yacht racing" and you will see what I mean.

I can actually stand individual people unless they are silly, small minded people who don't really know what they are talking about and make assumptions about people.

Now, off you go and do some sailing, experience what it is like, how dangerous it is, what a small mistake in navigation or sail choice can cost you and then get back to me. ;)

• Advertisement

The youngest solo sailer who went around the world was 17, would surely not happen with you lot around. After all it is to "dangerous" for minors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

The youngest solo sailer who went around the world was 17, would surely not happen with you lot around. After all it is to "dangerous" for minors.

using unparliamentary language....so f**king what?

This is a non story, she's too bloody young to sail solo round the world and anyone with an ounce of cop on would know that.

After all it is to "dangerous" for minors.

Correct. Big difference between a seventeen year old teenage boy and a twelve year old girl, both physically and mentally. You are obviously as much an expert on kids as you are on sailing.

lightening wrote: »
    Correct. Big difference between a seventeen year old teenage boy and a twelve year old girl, both physically and mentally. You are obviously as much an expert on kids as you are on sailing.
    So you're a sexist as well... Guess you would have had the authorities take care of the kid if it was a 17 year old girl.

using unparliamentary language....so f**king what?

This is a non story, she's too bloody young to sail solo round the world and anyone with an ounce of cop on would know that.
    If her father who is a competent sailor honestly believes she can do it I see no reason for any intervention from the authorities.

• Advertisement

So you're a sexist as well... Guess you would have had the authorities take care of the kid if it was a 17 year old girl.

There is a difference in strength between a seventeen year old boy and a twelve year old girl that would make a difference in hoisting, sheeting, winching, doing anything on a sailing boat. That's a fact, I am not being sexist. Are you just looking for an argument? Go on to youtube and type in "This is yacht racing", unless of course you are an experienced sailor, are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

If her father who is a competent sailor honestly believes she can do it I see no reason for any intervention from the authorities.

Its a good thing that you're not in a position of authority in this case then.

Anyone can be a father, idiots, morons, nutcases, arseholes, fools, even you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

In a fine example of nanny-statism, I'm going to (a) lock this thread, and (b) ban SLUSK for a couple of days until he cools down.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement