Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celebrity Condolence Threads in AH?

Options
  • 21-12-2009 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

When a celeb dies, there is usually a thread in the celeb forum for said celeb in a mannerly fashion. Humour or Lolo gets the making jokes threads of said celebs. Why can't AH have a bit of both? Is it possible to have both on the same thread, living in perfect harmony?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Not really. You get a lot of idiots bringing the nasty/sick lolo jokes on thread. I dont give a crap about most celebrities but if it was someone i liked i wouldn’t want to see that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

It's not a condolence thread. Its a discussion thread minus the jokes.
    The jokes about dead celebrities are an unnecessary addition IMO. Pisses people off. Comes across as tasteless. Attracts trolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

I totally get that, and for that reason I can totally understand the banning of jokes, but would it be worth considering banning the threads in AH. I mean, if they can't be discussed in a manner that is approprate to AH, they shouldn't really be there, right?

I for one would never post something I wanted to be taken seriously in AH

Some get moved to Celeb and showbiz or the relevant forum and some have a home in AH. It's on a case by case basis and it's been a long time since death jokes have been allowed. I'm kinda wondering why anyone would bother trying to come up with death jokes for Brittany Murphy at all and why the banning of them is such a horrible thing to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

peanuthead wrote: »
    I totally get that, and for that reason I can totally understand the banning of jokes, but would it be worth considering banning the threads in AH. I mean, if they can't be discussed in a manner that is approprate to AH, they shouldn't really be there, right?

I for one would never post something I wanted to be taken seriously in AH

There are serious threads in AH too.
    We could ban these celeb threads in AH but given that it's an actual death people want to talk about it. As soon as we delete one thread about a death another one would appear.

Additionaly we have taken into account the Feedback regarding the Football thread with Henry and under certain circumstances will allow Celeb threads or threads that are not your typical AH if they are very topical and splashed all over the media.

What we won't allow is people taking the piss out of people that have only just passed away, it's too much, too soon and will upset a lot of posters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Some get moved to Celeb and showbiz or the relevant forum and some have a home in AH. It's on a case by case basis and it's been a long time since death jokes have been allowed. I'm kinda wondering why anyone would bother trying to come up with death jokes for Brittany Murphy at all and why the banning of them is such a horrible thing to happen.

No its not a horrible thing to happen, I think it's highly offensive and I hate to see it, but I sometimes do feel like putting these threads in AH is waving a red flag at a bull. Anyway, it doesnt hugely concern me anyway because I tend not to read them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Who is Lolo? Dont remember seeing that as a username.

I think you have a different opinion of AH to myself peanut. Some folks reckon scary horrible place full of idiots. Others actually enjoy it.
    I don't think it's a red rag to a bull situation. Even if it is, so what? That's why moderators are there. If it deserves a place in AH then we can give it rules and ban those who don't abide by them. People want to talk about it. We don't do blanket bans too well. I hate censorship when its unnecessary. So I don't see a situation where we can say no more celebrity death discussion on AH. It's just a bad idea to have a blanket rule than any moderator can point to as a reason to lock threads and direct posters elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

seanybiker wrote: »
    Who is Lolo? Dont remember seeing that as a username.

Ahh fond mamaries.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Its a touchy subject, the old dead celeb. Depends on who dies really i suppose.

Stephen Gatley would be a no no for jokes, although there are many, hes oirish, and has relatives living in the free state, so not to cause offence. and hurt to them, i think it would be tasteless to post jokes.

Brittney Murphy gets toa...eh, im going to stop, but my point being, if you are offended by some "joke" about a dead celeb that you dont know and spent the largest portion of their life 6000 miles away from you, you have little to be offended about, what exactly offends you? Were you bullied at school? If you find them tasteless, you are probably correct, but i find alot of the comments made about politicians tasteless, nonsence, and downright stupid, do i take offence to them on behalf of my fellow member of mankind?

I can only wait with baited breath the passing of Gary Glitter, and see how the "condolence" thread in AH pans out.

It will be a busy night for the mods

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Make a deal so.

Tell people to stop planting mawkish, plus +1 shout out for the love of the bereaved children threads about Z list celebrities in somewhere like AH, and there won't be any jokes and subsequent offence.

Why not put those threads in a celebrity forum, or better still, a separate forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

My experience with seeing these sort of threads on this site and other websites is that they do turn into a book thread of condolences. Most posts end up being just saying rip. "Rip" isn't very conductive to discussion in my opinion. Many people will also get offended - how someone gets offended about someone they don't know as Snyper pointed out I can't understand - if the discussion veers off track from the "rip" posts to any sort of language that isn't praising the person.

I remember a thread a few months ago about a young girl who died in the USA and someone from Disney sent her a DVD. Anytime someone tried to point out the lunacy and hypocrisy of the situation was branded a troll for a want of a better phrase. I don't know what forum can host the mature rational discussion of a "celeb" death (or similar) without people reporting posts they don't like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

People that die may or may not be cnunts (subjective).

The mods have to deal with the fallout from those who think they are not as a result of those who think they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Post after post of "RIP" is just embarrassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Not necessarily.

I assume (yea-ass, you, me :)), and gather that you mean "celebs" rather than people who really matter(ed) to the community here, in the past. There but for the grace of God and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Dudess wrote: »
    Post after post of "RIP" is just embarrassing.
    Agreed and I have sometimes done it myself but expressing grief with an RIP doesn't convey any real emotion .If it's for somebody you felt deeply about or a knew personally it still just looks like any other 'RIP'

Oh don't get me wrong: I'm not trying to be all hard-ass here. Some people are genuinely moved by the death of a public figure (although there can be going overboard) and there's nothing wrong with them posting "RIP" but once there's a bit of discussion interspersed with it and once the "RIP" posters don't get too self-righteous, it's more of "value" as a thread rather than just reams of "RIPs" (IMO anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Of course ,if somebody adds some story relating to the deceased such as for example , a memory of song or scene in a movie which bring back memories of a time in their life then it has more meaning .And also didn't mean to imply that putting RIP in condolences to somebody you knew didn't have any value , obioulsly you''ll feel real emotion knowing the person.

It's just on it's own, RIP just looks bare .

We can discuss it how we want but there should never be firm rules banning topics like these IMO. How we've dealt with them has changed. I've always said "Discussion - not jokes." Of course of late that has meant a lot of RIP posts in these threads and not a lot of discussion lest people be perceived as insensitive for discussing the issues surrounding the untimely death of a young actress (actor?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Quite a few poster's, may I say hilarious, posts got deleted in the Gary Coleman thread.

My question is how exactly is the line been drawn between what's acceptable or not? Gary Coleman's death is not upsetting to anyone on this website, not even remotely. Certainly no more than threads about sexual assault, or God forbid, stories of actual non-celebrities being killed.

It smacks a little bit of nannyism too, tbh. We're not fcuking babies, we can choose to ignore that which offends us, rather than sweep it under the carpet, surely?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Imo, dead Irish and/or well respected celebs should be left alone. Anyone else should be left to it. I wouldn't put the most recent one in either of those categories, but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

WindSock wrote: »
    Imo, dead Irish and/or well respected celebs should be left alone. Anyone else should be left to it. I wouldn't put the most recent one in either of those categories, but that's just me.
    "Well-respected" can be pretty subjective though...

Imo, dead Irish and/or well respected celebs should be left alone. Anyone else should be left to it.
    But why that distinction WindSock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Well respected as in achieved a lot, I suppose. Plus popular and well loved. ie - Sir David Attenborough vs Maggie Thatcher. Pretty obvious which one there will get more heartfelt RIPs when they join the choir invisible.

The distinction is fairly obvious I'dve thought. I mean, you are going to get a lot of people who personally knew the Irish celeb using the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Well respected as in achieved a lot, I suppose. Plus popular and well loved. ie - Sir David Attenborough vs Maggie Thatcher. Pretty obvious which one there will get more heartfelt RIPs when they join the choir invisible.

That's totally subjective though. Some people hero worship Thatcher, others, not so much.

I don't understand this undying need to make jokes when celebrities die, and the mock-shock that is the reaction in the wake of the application of After Hours rules that have existed since it has. Maybe if people don't understand the rules of AH they should just stop posting there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Maybe if people don't understand the rules of AH they should just stop posting there.
    That's my problem, tbh. What are the rules? you can joke about sexual assault for instance, but not death, have I got that right? That's the impression I got from one of the mods in AH earlier this evening.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

davyjose wrote: »
    That's my problem, tbh. What are the rules? you can joke about sexual assault for instance, but not death, have I got that right? That's the impression I got from one of the mods in AH earlier this evening.

I agree. The line has been, and always will be so it seems, blurry. It should be made clearcut what can be said and why.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

It smacks a little bit of nannyism too, tbh. We're not fcuking babies, we can choose to ignore that which offends us, rather than sweep it under the carpet, surely?

In AH, most are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

I dunno but for me it's quite simple...... you shouldn't make jokes about dead people directly after they die. Personally I think it's just wrong and in bad taste no matter who the person is!
    I realise that there are certain celebs and people where there are opportunities to make jokes about and I wonder if boards admin or whoever could impose a time limit whereby these jokes could then be made??:confused:
    I suppose what I'm saying is that I'm not a killjoy if you will,l but think there should be some type of level of respect shown to the recently deceased no matter who they are!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Earthhorse wrote: »
    That's totally subjective though. Some people hero worship Thatcher, others, not so much.

I don't understand this undying need to make jokes when celebrities die, and the mock-shock that is the reaction in the wake of the application of After Hours rules that have existed since it has. Maybe if people don't understand the rules of AH they should just stop posting there.

Well said.
    you can joke about sexual assault for instance, but not death, have I got that right? That's the impression I got from one of the mods in AH earlier this evening.

The thread you are talking about was about a doctor who preformed needless examinations on patients for sexual kicks.

The Mod posted a pic that more or less said that what that made him think of first was that it was like something out of a Carry-On movie.

That is a far cry from making jokes about someone on the same day that they die.
    I agree. The line has been, and always will be so it seems, blurry. It should be made clearcut what can be said and why.

Just in the past seven or eight months there have been Mod warnings on the Stephen Gately thread, the Corey Haim thread, the Gerry Ryan thread in AH, that usually ask for users to show some respect and not make jokes.

That is pretty clear to me.

After a week or so, nobody will care if you makes jokes or not.

There have been dozens of Stephen Gately jokes on After Hours for instance, since his death. Here's a whole thread full of them.

When a poster makes a "joke" in a thread full of RIPs, their post really stands out and gets a lot of notice.

For some posters I guess, the temptation of all that attention is just too much to pass up.

Advertisement