Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celebrity Condolence Threads in AH?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Really?

That's why we are here now, what has this got to do with the football thread in AHs, in your opinion?

Because like the handball thread, and now this - inexperienced Mods made wrong decisions which changed the face of AH.
    Anyone that frequents AHs would see that was the mods way of warning on thread, I am fairly certain if it was doc, TheZohan or Frada that had said that it would have gotten a heads up from you.

I don't know why this continues to escape you, but you worked in the shadow of those blokes. They carried you through AH, and beside's if they issued that same threat in a thread I was participating in I'd have the same strong reaction to it.

"bad things will happen" - ffs what way is that for a mod to carry on, regardless of the forum?. Imagine I said that in the Martial Arts forum, or indeed the Dublin City Forum!. You could bet your life bad things would alright!.

A thread about the death of a Z list 80's celeb with a few innocent jibs about the guys size (Coleman was quick enough to cash in on that himself) decends into a discussion like this here says more to me about the Mods handling of the thread than the people who were warned, infracted or banned from the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Because like the handball thread, and now this - inexperienced Mods made wrong decisions which changed the face of AH.

How?
    I don't know why this continues to escape you, but you worked in the shadow of those blokes. They carried you througit.h AH, and beside's if they issued that same threat in a thread I was participating in I'd have the same strong reaction to it.

"worked in the shadow of those blokes"

In your opinion.

Myself and doc had to delete hundreds of post in the MJ thread, and we had very little communcation because of how fast the thread was going.

Look at who still mods and who doesn't.
    If I was doing such a bad job, I'm sure admin would have said something.

I like to think that I'm above sniping at people, but I can't say the same for you.

"bad things will happen" - ffs what way is that for a mod to carry on, regardless of the forum?. Imagine I said that in the Martial Arts forum, or indeed the Dublin City Forum!. You could bet your life bad things would alright!.

Some people see only what they want to see.

Zaph has no problem with it, so why do you?
    Zaph wrote: »
    . And plenty of mods on the site, myself included, have used similar language when handing out on-thread warnings. It's not a death threat or anything, it's just an indication that carrying on in the current manner will lead to some form of punishment.

A thread about the death of a Z list 80's celeb with a few innocent jibs about the guys size (Coleman was quick enough to cash in on that himself) decends into a discussion like this here says more to me about the Mods handling of the thread than the people who were warned, infracted or banned from the forum.

Were you there to read all the posts before they were deleted?

The fact that four mod warnings were needed should tell you they were more than innocent jibes.

Please report a post if you don't like it. If you have a problem with how this forum or any other forum on boards is modded, take it to Feedback. This isn't the place to discuss it.
    Rabies wrote: »
    posts deleted.

same rules apply

infractions and bans will be handed out.

Respect or ...

Ok, I may not have been clear in my last post. so to make it simple, keep this on topic or bad things will happen.

Thanks

Opening post.
    SugarHigh wrote: »
    RABIES EDIT:
    Sh!te removed.
    Posts jokes and get infraction or ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

This is stupid. Refresh yourself with the charter. AH's is supposed to be were we can have the craic and banter like you would in the pub.

If one of the lads brought up the subject of Gary Coleman passing away in the pub, the barman isn't going to bar the lads for stuff like. "Jaysus, that's a small loss" or "That's terrible, men of his size are in short supply nowadays". Especially when the man himself used that card to his advantage countless times throughout his career. If he were able to see some of the jokes & puns in that thread himself I reckon he'd have a good aul laugh.

I'm gonna put this out there. I think a couple of the AH mods are making their own charter for AH.

Either refresh the content of the charter and stick to it or get the finger out and write up a brand new one and explain to us what actually does and does not fly nowadays in AH that would have been allowed before.

AH's is turning into a mine field. Can't say something without having a limb blown off.

Rabies, can I get access to Nein please.

Bonito wrote: »

I'm gonna put this out there. I think a couple of the AH mods are making their own charter for AH.

Well in fairness to the Mods in AH, that happens across the board.

One Mod steps down, a new one comes in and the forum takes off in a different direction. Sometimes thats more by accident than design.

Again in fairness to the Mods in AH the forum has a fairly high attrition rate when it comes to Mods staying and it would be hard to constantly update the forum, and to discuss that brings up that old turkey again - choosing Mods for AH, should they be familiar to the general user in AH or not & should they have at least a grounding in AH.

Lately its been the case that Mods weren't generally known as regulars in AH, they didn't understand what made it 'click' and things went Helter-skelter for awhile.. Its got to be one of the toughest forum to Mod on & I don't envy their task, but a little cop on goes a long way to making life easier for everyone!.

Warnings in posts/threads, fine - but threats can be taken entirely different, and I'd personally never make one for fear that someone bigger & uglier might make me eat my words someday.. And all joking aside, they don't endear a Mod to a forum 'nor do they make the user look cleaver.

Right, for me the discussion is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

they don't endear a Mod to a forum 'nor do they make the user look cleaver.

I disagree.
    Many mods have the ability to chop through bones.....

• Advertisement

mikom wrote: »
    I disagree.
    Many mods have the ability to chop through bones.....

Dammit, I'll leave it to break the @mosfer!. :p

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Lets try and come up with a solution for the next stuff rather than taking apart what has passed. It is a minefield some times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Lets try and come up with a solution for the next stuff rather than taking apart what has passed. It is a minefield some times.

I agree.

I also think some people have the wrong end of the stick in relation to some jokes.

For instance, some jokes might not be deleted because they are disrespectful, but deleted so as not to open the flood gates to ALL jokes that would inevitably follow if the mild ones were allowed.

How can you have a rule that says mild jokes are fine but more vicious ones are not, it's unworkable - who would be the judge?

If a person dies that is in the public eye and AH mods decide that jokes are not wanted on this occasion, then it HAS to be ALL jokes not just mild ones.

Users posting even mild jokes on a thread where warnings have beeb posted, are just trolling for a reaction imo.

I don't think the AH Mods are gonna ask for respect to be shown if Gary Glitter or Osama Bin Laden turn up dead, so I don't see what the problem is.

It's not as if jokes about the person that died are banned indefinitely.

Jokes about Stephen Gately, Gerry Ryan, Michael jackson etc etc have been posted in AH since their deaths and not been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Local celeb still warm - Condolences and messages of grief, etc - Mod warning post 1.

Anyone else - Leave like any other AH thread & direct the angry RIPers to a more appropriate forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

True. Ban all RIP threads, people unhappy, no jokes, people unhappy, some jokes....................................
    WindSock wrote: »
    Local celeb still warm - Condolences and messages of grief, etc - Mod warning post 1.

Anyone else - Leave like any other AH thread & direct the angry RIPers to a more appropriate forum?

Probably the best way to deal with it eg. Stephen Gately and Gerry Ryan compared to the Dennis Hopper thread.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

They can stick it, I've found the other place where my brilliance can finally shine!.... And where Pete like's my bum :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Cant wait to read my own death thread...

oh wait..

Earthhorse wrote: »
    That doesn't help me understand it though. :)

All bad humour is subjective, I guess :pac:

Again, the rule applies to all celebrity deaths, not just local ones. I don't think you can find the balance you're talking about because you don't know what reaction a celebrity death will get in advance.

Well, an simple gauge would be whether the celeb in question was in the spotlight or well known for something controversial or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I can't see a simple solution to the problem.

Should there be a differenciation between Irish celeb deaths and others?
    I'm probably a hipocrit because I often joke about celeb passings, not sure if I've done it here but definitely in real life.
    But on the G Ryan thread I said a couple of times that I hope that people could have a bit of decorum. It was conceivable that he could have family and friends reading, lets not forget how small this country is, and there was a post from someone commenting that his son is a poster on boards. There was also a posting claiming to be from his production crew.
    I think it would be fairly nasty to read disrespecful comments posted at a time when a corpse isn't even cold and it is fairly reasonable to assume family would come across such postings. It comes under being a dick imo.

Of course in time the jokes always come out and thats natural and even expected.

But should moderation be completely subjective and judge each situation on its own merits or have a blanket ban on disrespectful posts for a certain time period?
    A death of someone like Dennis Hopper is a long way removed from boards whereas the likes of Gerry Ryan was not?

I don't think it's a black and white issue tbh, either you give the mods the power to use their own discretion, which isn't an easy job
    Or you have a blanket ban on disrespectful comments for all celeb deaths or for Irish ones

I can't see a simple solution to the problem.

I'm probably a hipocrit because I often joke about celeb passings, not sure if I've done it here but definitely in real life.
    But on the G Ryan thread I said a couple of times that I hope that people could have a bit of decorum. It was conceivable that he could have family and friends reading, lets not forget how small this country is, and there was a post from someone commenting that his son is a poster on boards. There was also a posting claiming to be from his production crew.
    I think it would be fairly nasty to read disrespecful comments posted at a time when a corpse isn't even cold and it is fairly reasonable to assume family would come across such postings. It comes under being a dick imo.

Of course in time the jokes always come out and thats natural and even expected.

But should moderation be completely subjective and judge each situation on its own merits or have a blanket ban on disrespectful posts for a certain time period?
    A death of someone like Dennis Hopper is a long way removed from boards whereas the likes of Gerry Ryan was not?

I don't think it's a black and white issue tbh, either you give the mods the power to use their own discretion, which isn't an easy job
    Or you have a blanket ban on disrespectful comments for all celeb deaths or for Irish ones

Michael Jackson would have been the exception to the "far away" rule of thumb.

Indeed, rule of thumb rather than rules is probably the key to this and the "don't be a dick" guideline.

To me, it would be sad if a few inoffensive puns or light jokes were banned from the Coleman thread, or indeed Dennis Hopper or Michael Jackson ones.

Problem with that is you are opening "the what is offensive?" can of worms.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

But on the G Ryan thread I said a couple of times that I hope that people could have a bit of decorum. It was conceivable that he could have family and friends reading, lets not forget how small this country is,
    K-9 wrote: »
    Michael Jackson would have been the exception to the "far away" rule of thumb.

Far away or close to home as a cut off wrecks my head.
    It not as if the internet tubes end at our coastline.
    Shur, Gary Colemans missus could have been logged on that day.

Probably shooting myself in the foot here, but whatever.....

mikom wrote: »
    Far away or close to home as a cut off wrecks my head.
    It not as if the internet tubes end at our coastline.
    Shur, Gary Colemans missus could have been logged on that day.

Probably shooting myself in the foot here, but whatever.....

Yes, then you are going down the no RIP threads or no jokes line.

RIP RIP Threads.

K-9 wrote: »

RIP RIP Threads.

Hopefully not too soon...

RTorn_150x218.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

OutlawPete wrote: »
    I don't need a dictionary thanks.

I spelled a word wrong (Mozilla spellchecker can be a bugger at times).

Nobody's perfect as I see you too can be guilty of making the odd spelling error.
    HANG ON A MINUTE.... You didn't spell it wrong, you highlighted my perceived mistake, and placed it between "quotations". YOU tried to catch me out. If you think I'm stupid, aim higher. That's twice you've attempted to pick apart my spelling and grammar -- 2nd time's a charm, eh? Problem is, it's still a petty way to undermine me.

And telling someone to get a dictionary when they make Grammar and Spelling mistakes isn't?
    Again, I'm not petty enough to pick you up on a spelling mistake -- you've done it to me twice -- what I will do is call you out on it as a cheap way to make yourself seem more authoritative.
    The quotation marks, not apostrophes, were there as I was quoting you, simple
    So you admit the above excuse you made is ****, and you did highlight a perceived mistake? Why would you do that? It has nothing to do with the point I made.
    They are modding the forum, they have to decide what is and isn't acceptable. Gauge the public mood if you will, so as to try and make sure the thread doesn't descend into a battle.
    The only people who caused a battle, are those who somehow were personally insulted by the jokes made about a complete stranger. If the offense taken by these people is somehow tempered by time(see your last point), then I'd say they are full of sh!t, tbh. My Dad died 11 years ago, and I can assure you, it's not something that fades too easily. Also more than half the posts were cut, when the mods got their magic wand out. So I'd say public mood was largely fcuking trampled over, tbh.
    Look at the Dennis Hopper thread, no mod action needed today as nobody made sick gags.
    Yeah, I wonder if it was the pull of emotion, or the heavy-handed threats of the mods who caused that.
    If somebody did go on and make some jokes that made fun of the guy, I'm sure there would quickly be a warning to show some respect. Would we get a whole load of people defending some muppet who slagged off Dennis Hopper and demanding they have the right to make jokes??
    I'm not one for hypocrisy, you might not like my sense of humour, but If someone can laugh at Madeleine McCann(yes I'm here long enough to remember the jokes -- thick and fast, is the phrase), they can laugh at Dennis fcuking Hopper, in my book.
    No we wouldn't, as there is massive hypocrisy at play here.

People just want to jokes about certain celebs and respect others, yet these same people criticize when Mods make similar distinctions.

I think the Mods of AH should be trusted with the gauging which deaths are joke worthy and which aren't.

If they then post a warning suggesting people show some decorum with their comments, it should be heeded.
    No! Again, it came a day after massive threats and removal of posts, by mods. I've nothing against Dennis Hopper, no more than Gary Coleman. Do you really believe this is a personal thing? Jesus Christ.
    Apples and oranges.

You don't pay respect to these illnesses.
    I don't?

Or you don't.

Stupid fcuking statement. I'm glad if your life has been blessed enough as to not have been touched by something like Sexual assault, or cancer, or another real life suffering. but i daresay if it is, it won't be Gary Coleman you're thinking about!!!
    As I have said in my reply, which you did not address - when Stephen Gately died, posters were asked to show some respect.

Not long after that there were threads in After Hours full of jokes about the guy.
    So this is not about what you can and can't make jokes about in AH, it's about the timing of the jokes, that is all.
    Timing my arse, Gary Coleman, or Gately, are fair game one day, but not the next, but are again a few months later? Anyone whose sensibilities are that touchy is in the wrong forum, simple as that. And the stupid furore you made about spelling ate into my debating time. I'll address any question you have if you can keep away from sifting through my spelling with a fine (albeit inaccurate) toothcomb.
    (Mozilla spellchecker can be a bugger at times).
    Who needs it when I have you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

davyjose wrote: »
    That's twice you've attempted to pick apart my spelling and grammar -- 2nd time's a charm, eh?

:)

Eh, when did I twice "pick apart <your> spelling and grammar" exactly?

YOU commented on my spelling here:
    "Affected_vs_Effected" ... grab a dictionary.

So I pointed out the below spelling error in an effort to make you see that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
    First off, what's with the apostraphes around effected?

I commented on your spelling, to show you that YOU shouldn't comment on other people's spelling errors, because YOU had made one of your own.

When people use quotation marks, they are not having a go at your spelling or grammar, as you seem to think, they are merely quoting you so they can respond to you.

I spelled 'affected' incorrectly and I have explained why.

You can have the last word if you like, as I won't be replying to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Sorry guys, have been away from internet access since sunday.

Ya. No prob with that Doc.

Where does it end? How do we define a low level celeb that can have jokes thrown at him or her when they die but not a high profile one.
    Still, I'm open for suggestions.

Rabies wrote: »
    Where does it end? How do we define a low level celeb that can have jokes thrown at him or her when they die but not a high profile one.
    Still, I'm open for suggestions.

This is probably the best solution:

The mods will probably be able to determine which celeb threads are going to cause the most hassle to moderate and which ones can be left to it. If there are too many reported posts and on thread squabbling for crass jokes then direct the RIPers to another forum and maybe close the thread. If it is a high profile Irish death then you know it is going to be a hot topic in AH, so an on thread warning post #1 will probably be necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Look at who still mods and who doesn't.

Well now, that's not fair on TheZohan and I. We both stopped because we didn't have the time to continue modding. Your post implies that we were ousted due to shoddy modmanship on our part, which simply isn't true.*

*To clarify, that means that I wasn't forcibly unmodded when I did stop. My modding may well have been shitty but that's not why I left. I know this is off-topic but dang...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Well now, that's not fair on TheZohan and I. We both stopped because we didn't have the time to continue modding. Your post implies that we were ousted due to shoddy modmanship on our part, which simply isn't true.*

*To clarify, that means that I wasn't forcibly unmodded when I did stop. My modding may well have been shitty but that's not why I left. I know this is off-topic but dang...

I'm sorry you've taken it that way Adam Cold Vanilla it was just an observation and implied nothing.

Sure I have no idea why TheZohan stepped down so I couldn't possibly comment.

But, you did. Not a dig at you or anything but what else could you have ment by "Look who still mods and who doesn't."

Fun mods are fun. Why are we losing fun mods?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Bonito wrote: »
    But, you did. Not a dig at you or anything but what else could you have ment by "Look who still mods and who doesn't."

Fun mods are fun. Why are we losing fun mods?
    For various reasons. Some dont get along with the current mods. SS can vouch for that one and others just have personal stuff going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I'm sorry you've taken it that way Frada it was just an observation and implied nothing.

Well, it did imply something. It was an answer to Makkikomi claiming that we "carried" you by insinuating "Well, actually, they couldn't hack it so nnnneeeeeeeehhhhhhhh" What's the non-defamatory observation I'm missing here?

Really? Don't you remember reading the reason he gave when he left? Or did you thank it without reading it?
    TheZohan wrote:
    I'm just too busy to mod AH, it's great craic but it takes up a lot of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I'll just leave this here....

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Perhaps we should have a "Book of Condolences" forum.... bit like the Mansion House.

DeV.

• Advertisement

That could work. :) What way would you want it, though? Have sincere condolences in that forum and bannings handed out to piss takers and/or gross/disgusting comments?

Then with the likes of AH allow the jokes and gags but within reason?

Advertisement