Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new tv

• 21-12-2009 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

i couldnt find anythin closer to my question than here so sorry if it is in wrong place
    i just bought a sony tv and it has a thing on it called freesat and when i asked the man at shop what it was he said it was like a built in satbox but it only works in nIreland at the mo is he right and if he is not how do i set it up to work

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Are you sure its Freesat, and not Freeview? Double check as there is a world of difference.

If it is Freesat though, it will work down here and all you need is a standard satellite dish. Did not think Sony were selling those TVs here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭glennb

JDxtra wrote: »
    Are you sure its Freesat, and not Freeview? Double check as there is a world of difference.
    sorry it is freeview any idea what it is or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭fergus o brien

freesat is the free channels broadcasting on the sky satellite(eurobird 28.5 east) where as freeview is a uk terrestrial digital service(recieved through an aeriel). a lot of tv sets are being sold in recent months on the basis that they are lcd and are hd ready and they are(but if you see freeview on the box then that tv was designed for use in the uk and not ireland)as far as i know itv owned freeview and was taken over and the recievers used were changed(so older recievers did not recieve the freeview channels) there is a reason these tv sets are cheap. they dont work in the uk any longer(well the freeview part) and so retailers are buying them cheap and selling them on here. but they wont work here either ,meaning if you thought you could get the rte terrestrial digital service through it you wont ,the freeview reciever is mpeg3 and rte terrestrial digital uses mpeg4. they are still good tvs and a bargain but retailers should be explaining all this to the people who buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭glennb

freesat is the free channels broadcasting on the sky satellite(eurobird 28.5 east) where as freeview is a uk terrestrial digital service(recieved through an aeriel). a lot of tv sets are being sold in recent months on the basis that they are lcd and are hd ready and they are(but if you see freeview on the box then that tv was designed for use in the uk and not ireland)as far as i know itv owned freeview and was taken over and the recievers used were changed(so older recievers did not recieve the freeview channels) there is a reason these tv sets are cheap. they dont work in the uk any longer(well the freeview part) and so retailers are buying them cheap and selling them on here. but they wont work here either ,meaning if you thought you could get the rte terrestrial digital service through it you wont ,the freeview reciever is mpeg3 and rte terrestrial digital uses mpeg4. they are still good tvs and a bargain but retailers should be explaining all this to the people who buy them.
    he said it had mpeg-4 and i asked what it was and he said that when ireland go through the digital switch over it will be able to pick things up but he said it wont be for a good while anyway whatever it is ill prob find out onmy way thanks for help all

• Advertisement

glennb wrote: »
    he said it had mpeg-4 and i asked what it was and he said that when ireland go through the digital switch over it will be able to pick things up but he said it wont be for a good while anyway whatever it is ill prob find out onmy way thanks for help all

If it has an MPEG4 tuner (many Sony TVs do) then, depending on your location, you may be able to pick up the digital test signals for RTE 1, RTE 2, TV3 etc.

Advertisement