Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory Gallagher on Irish Radio

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Nolanger wrote: »
    Well do you not think it's a bit silly asking why Irish radio never play Gallagher's music when they only really play singles and he never released any? :p

There is no excuse IMO for Irish radio not to play some Rory Gallagher from time to time, singles or no singles, given the amount of utter trash they normally churn out.

Not as silly as comparing him to Gilbert O' Sullivan :p

I don't think it's silly at all. They are very similar, not in musical style, but in that they are (were) both great Irish musicians/artists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Gilbert O'Sullivan is far more talented than anything we produce today. He's now blackballed from Irish radio even though he's still writing songs. He's in the same league as Cat Stevens!

Nolanger wrote: »
    Gilbert O'Sullivan is far more talented than anything we produce today. He's now blackballed from Irish radio even though he's still writing songs. He's in the same league as Cat Stevens!

I agree 100%, but it still does not take from the fact that Gallagher deserves more air play also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Jezzington

RGDATA! wrote: »
    let's face it, there are three or four lizzy songs you'll ever hear on irish radio. likewise van morrison. what chance does rory gallagher have? still i guarantee if you had an rte/tv3 documentary about him tony fenton and every other feckwit on radio would be queueing up to gush about him.

Or more to the point Bono... "I never liked (insert genre here) much, but (insert performer he wishes to leech kudos off here) was always one that stood out for me."

I suppose, when you think about it, that Irish radio is merely playing what they think people want to hear. Or maybe they could not care less. Either way it's up to those people to make known their preferences. If enough of the "more mature" ;) people, who were around when Rory was going strong, let the radio stations know their preferences, then the younger people might "discover" Rory, Gilbert O' Sullivan and others, to the benefit of all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

Rigsby wrote: »
    I suppose, when you think about it, that Irish radio is merely playing what they think people want to hear. Or maybe they could not care less. Either way it's up to those people to make known their preferences. If enough of the "more mature" ;) people, who were around when Rory was going strong, let the radio stations know their preferences, then the younger people might "discover" Rory, Gilbert O' Sullivan and others, to the benefit of all.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE !! :):):)

tatoo wrote: »
    POWER TO THE PEOPLE !! :):):)

Exactly !! They have it, but wont use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭curly.bert

As someone who works in radio and has played Gallagher tracks on numerous occasions over the past year, I thought I'd chime in.

Yes, Rory Gallagher was an amazing talent and made some great records ('Irish Tour 74' being my personal favourite). But there are literally thousands of excellent artists from the past who don't receive the airplay they maybe once had/should have (Scullion, I'm looking at you!). In Gallagher's case, he never had a major hit single a lá 'The Boys Are Back In Town' or 'Brown Eyed Girl'. By and large, they'll be the tracks you hear by Thin Lizzy and Van Morrison played on the radio - not just in Ireland, but around the world. Oldies shows play hits. When was the last time you heard 'Honesty Is No Excuse' or 'Sweet Thing' on the wireless?

Also, I think it's unfair to say all music on the radio is ****e. It's a matter of taste - I'm sure your parent's generation thought listening to Lizzy and Rory Gallagher was a waste of time too and not like 'proper music'. There are some great bands out there at the moment and it's only right they get the bulk of the airplay - cause let's face it, they're the ones out touring right now. If anything, I'd say there should be more new Irish music on the radio.

BTW to all the folks into guitar music, I'd recommend listening to Clive Barnes who's pretty amazing live. He's doing a tour of Ireland in February I believe to promote his latest album 'The Ghost Country' - well worth checking out!

Now, I'll get down off me horse ....

curly.bert wrote: »
    As someone who works in radio and has played Gallagher tracks on numerous occasions over the past year, I thought I'd chime in.

Yes, Rory Gallagher was an amazing talent and made some great records ('Irish Tour 74' being my personal favourite). But there are literally thousands of excellent artists from the past who don't receive the airplay they maybe once had/should have (Scullion, I'm looking at you!). In Gallagher's case, he never had a major hit single a lá 'The Boys Are Back In Town' or 'Brown Eyed Girl'. By and large, they'll be the tracks you hear by Thin Lizzy and Van Morrison played on the radio - not just in Ireland, but around the world. Oldies shows play hits. When was the last time you heard 'Honesty Is No Excuse' or 'Sweet Thing' on the wireless?

Also, I think it's unfair to say all music on the radio is ****e. It's a matter of taste - I'm sure your parent's generation thought listening to Lizzy and Rory Gallagher was a waste of time too and not like 'proper music'. There are some great bands out there at the moment and it's only right they get the bulk of the airplay - cause let's face it, they're the ones out touring right now. If anything, I'd say there should be more new Irish music on the radio.

BTW to all the folks into guitar music, I'd recommend listening to Clive Barnes who's pretty amazing live. He's doing a tour of Ireland in February I believe to promote his latest album 'The Ghost Country' - well worth checking out!

What is the big deal about singles anyway :confused: Can a radio presenter not use his/her imagination and play a track from an artist's album ? This way, we get to hear something different, instead of the "same oul', same oul'".

As far as all music on the radio being s---te : OK. Not all... just about 90%, if you happen to be a jazz, blues etc fan. I'm asking for this to be played 24/7. An hour a week is not asking for much, is it ?

As you work in radio, perhaps you can answer this for me. Who, and what dictates the music played on a given station ?

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

Yes, Rory Gallagher was an amazing talent and made some great records ('Irish Tour 74' being my personal favourite).

When you get a chance you might play " they don't make them like you anymore " from the Tattoo album , a fave of mine .
    I'll check out Clive Barnes album .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭curly.bert

Rigsby wrote: »
    As you work in radio, perhaps you can answer this for me. Who, and what dictates the music played on a given station ?

Depends on the station and the show. Most daytime shows on national, regional and local radio are playlisted by a Head of Music. The actual musical content is often dictated by the terms of the licence from the BCI (Broadcasting Commission of Ireland). For example, Beat is only supposed to play current 'pop' music. Of course, the definition of 'pop' is a moving target.

A lot of DJs don't have a say in the music they play, they've just got to work with the list they're given. I'm one of the lucky ones in that I more or less have complete autonomy. God bless weekend niche shows.

It's worth remembering that a lot of stations take requests. If enough people requested music by Rory Gallagher, you might hear a track or two. That said, you'll have to get past all the requests for Lady Gaga, X-Factor and all that lot.

Depends on the station and the show. Most daytime shows on national, regional and local radio are playlisted by a Head of Music. The actual musical content is often dictated by the terms of the licence from the BCI (Broadcasting Commission of Ireland). For example, Beat is only supposed to play current 'pop' music. Of course, the definition of 'pop' is a moving target.

A lot of DJs don't have a say in the music they play, they've just got to work with the list they're given. I'm one of the lucky ones in that I more or less have complete autonomy. God bless weekend niche shows.

It's worth remembering that a lot of stations take requests. If enough people requested music by Rory Gallagher, you might hear a track or two. That said, you'll have to get past all the requests for Lady Gaga, X-Factor and all that lot.

Thanks for that insight bert.

As for "Beat" only being allowed to play current "pop" music.... tune into most radio stations, especially during the daytime, and they all seem to being doing it !! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

I would only really listen to the radio in the car and I turn on Ronan Collins in the pub when I'm working. Now most can put on one of the favourites at different times. I would love to hear 'I'm Not Suprised' played as I know that some of his rockier or bluesy numbers won't be played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

On Tom Dunne is doing a Rory morning right now on Newstalk, his brother is due to be interviewed (I don't think I've missed it)

Sorry the interview is over :( It might be podcasted, not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Aligator Farmer

Agh, missed that. Hopefully they'll do a podcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

It will be on here later on in the day....

http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Rory deserves more recognition, not just in this country, but worldwide- a legendary guitarist and a true gent.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

Larry Gogan actually played "Tattooed Lady" on The Golden Hour last week. I thought I was hearing things.

deadhead13 wrote: »
    It will be on here later on in the day....

http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback

Its there now, about nine minutes in to part 2 of the show.

Ronan Collins played 'Bought and Sold' yesterday. I put on 'Whats Going On' on in the jukebox last week in the pub. What a song

• Advertisement

thesultan wrote: »
    Ronan Collins played 'Bought and Sold' yesterday. I put on 'Whats Going On' on in the jukebox last week in the pub. What a song

What a Jukebox! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jimmyboss

Anybody near Ballina tonight, Emmet's Bar on Abbey St is staging a 'Rory Gallagher Appreciation Night', featuring film footage and loadsa good stuff!!!!!

What was played?

Advertisement