Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Networks

• 21-12-2009 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

This morning I bought a new phone on a different network. The guy in the shop told me that it should take a couple of hours for my SIM to switch. When I asked him how I'd know he told me it wouldn't be able to pick up my previous network anymore. However its about 6 hours later and still looks the same as ever.

Is it just a case of hurry up and wait or should stuff like this happen quicker?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Did you turn the phone off, and put the new sim in the phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

I'd give it a while longer. It's Christmas so loads of people porting between networks so probably just a back log

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

How does this work by the way? Do I put my original SIM into the new phone? The at some point it switches so I'm now looking at o2 rather than Vodafone? Or is it the new SIM that is the one I should be using? Keeping my old number that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Use the new sim, in the new phone. It will have your old number on the new sim.

Great, thanks.

One last question. Currently my new SIM is in the new phone. But it is on the new number. Will this automatically switch to my old number at some point? Or should I switch off and wait until my old SIM/old phone no longer picks up a signal?

This is what comes of staying on the one network for years. I haven't a clue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

I am porting away from Vodafone. I gave O2 a buzz and they said the same thing, that something had gone wrong on the Vodafone end. So hopefully it will get sorted tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dubjoe

Hrududu wrote: »
    This morning I bought a new phone on a different network. The guy in the shop told me that it should take a couple of hours for my SIM to switch. When I asked him how I'd know he told me it wouldn't be able to pick up my previous network anymore. However its about 6 hours later and still looks the same as ever.

Is it just a case of hurry up and wait or should stuff like this happen quicker?
    I requested to be ported from 3 (is not the magic number) back to vodafone last Saturday at 4pm. 48hrs later and I still haven't been ported. I'm told it could take another 24 as there are issues with all porting in ireland for sometime now.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

My other half is in the same position, porting from 3 to Vodafone. It was supposed to happen today and 3 say they handed over everything to Vodafone this morning when they disconnected her, but no sign yet of the new phone connecting to Vodafone. While she waits she is now without a phone for however long it takes, not a great start from her new network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 expressway

I was meant to be ported on Friday morning.

Still hasn't happened - I don't know if it's Meteor (who I'm leaving) or Vodafone, or a mix of the two.

Rang on Saturday and was told it would be done as soon as possible (they have a backlog)..

But it's 4 full days gone now, I ordered from the Vodafone website so they knew a day in advance that I was porting too.

No communication, not a text message or a call.

Asked a question in the Vodafone forum here, and no reply.

It's not good enough.

• Advertisement

I'm finally ported now but it took a good 24 hours. Which doesn't sound so bad now from Reading the other posts. I guess this is probably the craziest time of year

Hmm after posting I realised that even though I can send texts and make calls I can't receive calls and not all texts are getting through to me. The network reckon this is standard and should be sorted in 24 to 48 hours. Bit of a pain that they didn't say this could happen when I was buying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 zaraco101

It is a huge pain in the...what I won't say. I was told it would take max. half an hour to switch from Meteor to O2, yet here I am two days later and nothing seems to be happening. I have lost coverage in my Meteor phone but there is zero coverage on the new O2 phone. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong? Or is this just a waiting game?

No porting until tomorrow. The issue is with Vodafone so nothing 3 can do until Voda sort out the problem

Strange thing is Voda are telling the other networks nothing is wrong. Brother ported off Vodafone to O2. Same problems and O2 said they couldn't find any problem and they hadn't heard anything from Vodafone to say they were having problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dubjoe

Its just gone a week now since I requested to be ported from 3 to Vodafone. I rang vodafone yet again today. I asked if they knew if it would be days, or weeks and how many were on "back log" list. I was told they did not know and that there is no fix date so it could be weeks. I asked did they know what was wrong or are they confused about the whole thing, she struggled to admit they haven't a clue.

So they gave a new sim card (new no) and put €10 credit on it and free voda to voda for 30 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

I ordered a phone for my son on Dec 15, he was going to port from Meteor to Vodafone on Dec 25. He's still waiting. I popped in to the Vodafone shop this morning and they said it would be Jan 4 before anything happened. I nipped in to Carphone Warehouse to see if they'd heard anything, the guy said Vodafone had a backlog of 30,000 people waiting to change over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Just looking at Meteor's Billpay price plans compared to Vodafone's and O2's. Meteor is miles cheaper. Meteor are €10 cheaper for one package and offer more. Meteor offer 200 mins and 200 texts for €20 on a 18 month contract, while O2 offer 175 minutes adn 100 texts for €30 on an 18 month contract. Am I missing something here or O2 just robbing customers?

I ordered a phone for my son on Dec 15, he was going to port from Meteor to Vodafone on Dec 25. He's still waiting. I popped in to the Vodafone shop this morning and they said it would be Jan 4 before anything happened. I nipped in to Carphone Warehouse to see if they'd heard anything, the guy said Vodafone had a backlog of 30,000 people waiting to change over!
    It's nothing to do with the amount of people waiting to port. Vodafones porting (both onto and off the network)has been having problems for the last two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I bought a RTG phone last monday, and switched my number from O2 to Vodafone. I was told in the Vodafone shop in Castlebar that the switch wpould be done in 3-4 hours. It's now over a week and I still haven't got a full service. I can make outgoing calls and texts, but all incoming calls/texts are still coming to my old O2 handset. I have rang Vodafone's customer service section several times since with no joy. The latest time was this morning, when the woman on the other end said they weren't even giving out estimated times any more, asnd that they don't know when I might be up and running fully. I guess this means I'm going to have to carry around two handsets for the foreseeable future. It's bloody ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Vodafone, porting to and from, right now is just screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 jacket222002

I am the same - waiting since thwe 21st and still no transfer. I am considering going to 3 and transferring but am worried that I would be stuck without a line

I've given up ringing them. I'm just carrying around 2 phones, which is a pain in the hole but what can you do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Sting369

Bought phone- iPhone before Xmas. A week later still cannot receive calls or texts. Any advice? Customer support has been useless. All I did was ask a simple question, to the company I now have a contract with, when will the phone actually work ? .....… waste of time! Also does anyone know how to extend battery life of iPhone . It was fully charged at 9 this morning, I did a lot of browsing since then and now I'm down to 27per cent, less than 6 hrs later??? Help!

Advertisement