Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LGB Forum Meetup - Dakota, 6th March @ 17:00

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Lemon Jelly, iirc, wouldn't be suited for such a large group. Their booths, again iirc, seat four max. Maybe we could split the group though.

I've never actually been there, but Lemon (not related to Lemon Jelly) on Dawson St has long benches that might fit a large group. I'll suss it out and report back.

As for times, I'm free in the afternoon. I propose a 3pm meet. I could do 4 or 5, but no later than that really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

I maintain that 22 is "in your twenties". :)

6th of March sounds fine to me.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Aard wrote: »
    I've never actually been there, but Lemon (not related to Lemon Jelly) on Dawson St has long benches that might fit a large group. I'll suss it out and report back.
    The benches would fit about 8. However you sit where you can find space - you couldn't reserve a bench and may end up just scattered around the place.

I'd be a little bit wary of being "trapped" at a table as people wouldn't get the chance to move around and mix in many places, which could be important if people are new (there'd be a number of us who have met already).
    Most cafés wouldn't have this facility though - you'd need to go to a restaurant for that which I don't believe people would like?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

Hey i'd be defo up for coming along,28 here,but just arrive home on the 6th i think from work,but keep me posted and i might pop by :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I'm also the seemingly magical age of 26 and have never liked pubs or clubs, mainly because I'm not a big drinker and I hate the loud music. I'd be interested in going to this too, it's always good to meet new people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Spark Boy

Good stuff, glad to see people are finally popping up!! any more ideas for location people?? More people welcome (preferably 26ish or there abouts), just leave a post so can get a better idea of numbers..will decide location closer to the date and as said i'm not from dub, so please all suggestions appreciated:pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Dwn Wth Vwls

Not available that weekend after all.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Spark Boy wrote: »
    More people welcome (preferably 26ish or there abouts)

I just wanted to make one comment Sparks.
    Don't be so hung up on the age thing. Mr. Right doesn't always come with the perfect birth date.
    Were I you, I'd widen my net from 22 to 36.
    Age is just a number when two like minded people click.

I agree with Beruthiel. Some 26yos act like they're 18; others act like they're 38.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Beruthiel wrote: »
    I just wanted to make one comment Sparks.
    Don't be so hung up on the age thing. Mr. Right doesn't always come with the perfect birth date.
    Were I you, I'd widen my net from 22 to 36.
    Age is just a number when two like minded people click.

Face it woman you're old, GTFO :p

• Advertisement

azezil wrote: »
    Face it woman you're old, GTFO :p

Very.
    And yet, I'm still more of a man than you.

Try as I might, I just can't grow the same volume of facial hair that you do :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭fjireland

hey guys,

just stumbled upon this thread here, i'm in the same boat ... 26, not out, or on the scene or anything, feel very frustrated at times like others here.. in a total rut, no contact at all with any other gay people (that i know of anyway!), have considered gay dating sites and stuff like others but have been very put off by the sex now , talk later mindset of the majority (though i'm sure not all) of the guys on these sites...

i know i'm to blame for my own little rut too, not like i am putting myself out there or anything to meet other gay people .. so i'm interested in this meet up you guys are planning... sounds informal and like a good opportunity..

... And I still haven't been able to think of a good café venue that'd accommodate a decent-sized group. I'm not too familiar with the ones in town but those I've had a look at might be too small or not have good seating arrangements that would allow people to move around.

Anyone know of any good ones?

There's a place in Ranelagh called Sentosa. It's usually pretty empty, and could accommodate a large group. The only thing is that it's not in town. It's only a few stops out on the green line though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 kicom

Aard wrote: »
    There's a place in Ranelagh called Sentosa. It's usually pretty empty, and could accommodate a large group. The only thing is that it's not in town. It's only a few stops out on the green line though.

What makes it so good?

There's a risk that if we go outside the city centre we'd severely cut down on turnout. Most cafés in the city centre though only have small tables.

Is that large glass-fronted place in the IFSC a cafe or a bar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Sorry, I haven't been following this and don't plan to attend, but what about Dakota bar on south william street. It's a really up market bistro type place with plenty of space. You can hear people talk. I've gone in there plenty of times for a coffee and sandwich, it's what most people do during the day.

kicom wrote: »
    What makes it so good?
    That there'd be space for everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

dakota sounds good

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Dakota is quite nice and they do have big long tables.

Dakota's been the venue for two previous meets and worked well and is a pretty friendly venue. I'd just like to respect though the original intentions and not have this alcohol-orientated!

How about the phoenix park... after dark

<_<

>_>

azezil wrote: »
    How about the phoenix park... after dark

Az's fav haunting ground. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭door

Hey, I haven't followed this and I'm too lazy to go back over 10 pages but was there a boards.ie meet already (in relation to this thread) or is the plan still ongoing? Im 26 also and it seems to be possibly the most common age of 'attempting to come out' gays. Why don't we all just meet in Panti bar some week? Maybe not a Sunday as its packed then for obvious reasons but a Friday or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,953 ✭✭✭Daith

One planned for March 6th. The idea was not to do a pub meet but this could change. I'm not oppossed to a pub meet myself but can see why others wouldn't.

Currently the plan is:

Date: March the 6th [Saturday]
    Time: 17:00
    Venue: Dakota (on South William Street, Dublin 2)

We couldn't find a café that could really accommodate a group easily, especially when we only had vague numbers. We've chosen a pub that's quite relaxed and not too alcohol focused.

We purposely chose a non-scene pub to make any new-comers feel at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭door

I like the sound of this. Is there a suggestion maybe for a gay bar afterwards for those who want to go and to have the option for those unknown to the scene to dare a trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

door wrote: »
    I like the sound of this. Is there a suggestion maybe for a gay bar afterwards for those who want to go and to have the option for those unknown to the scene to dare a trip.
    I suggest - see what people want to do on the day

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

I agree with johnnymcg. Just play it by ear.

Dakota sounds OK.

Advertisement