If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

surround sound issue

Options
  • 21-12-2009 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,

Looking for some advice on my setup here at home which I am not getting the most out of:

I have Bose Acoustimas 15 speakers powered by a Pioneer vsx Ds14 receiver (spec http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/VSX-D814-S/print.html) . I watch Blurays on a PS3 using a HDMI output for video (straight to TV) and optical out for audio (straight to receiver) The PS3 has the latest firmware installed.

Picture is good. The problem I have is sound. It is usually too low for dialogue meaning you have to increase the volume up to hear, then if there is an action scene it is way too loud. Constant adjustment is required. Worst of all the bass handling is awful – it is either on full whack or hardly effective at all. I’ve messed about a lot with the settings on the receiver with little or no success. The optical means it auto tunes to the optimum sound setting.

My questions are, why is this happening? Is the player, receiver most likely to blame? Is the spec on the receiver not enough for bluray? (lets assume the speakers are fine which I believe they are) what can I do to fix it? The receiver has no HDMI input or output which suggests to me it is old.

If I need to replace equipment I am willing to do so. I just want to get the most out of the speakers and have good quality sound at any volume, preferably in time for Christmas!

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated …

Regards,
    Shane

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

busher wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking for some advice on my setup here at home which I am not getting the most out of:

I have Bose Acoustimas 15 speakers powered by a Pioneer vsx Ds14 receiver (spec http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/VSX-D814-S/print.html) . I watch Blurays on a PS3 using a HDMI output for video (straight to TV) and optical out for audio (straight to receiver) The PS3 has the latest firmware installed.

Picture is good. The problem I have is sound. It is usually too low for dialogue meaning you have to increase the volume up to hear, then if there is an action scene it is way too loud. Constant adjustment is required. Worst of all the bass handling is awful – it is either on full whack or hardly effective at all. I’ve messed about a lot with the settings on the receiver with little or no success. The optical means it auto tunes to the optimum sound setting.

My questions are, why is this happening? Is the player, receiver most likely to blame? Is the spec on the receiver not enough for bluray? (lets assume the speakers are fine which I believe they are) what can I do to fix it? The receiver has no HDMI input or output which suggests to me it is old.

If I need to replace equipment I am willing to do so. I just want to get the most out of the speakers and have good quality sound at any volume, preferably in time for Christmas!

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated …

Regards,
    Shane

Shane,

thanks for the post...

Ok there is probably two issues here - the Bose AM 15 are not (in my honest opinion) the greatest speakers - I feel that you can get much better 5.1 systems for £1000 ish - allied to this - to get the best out of them they need to be well driven and whilst the 814 was genuinely an excellent receiver I don't feel that it is ideally matched to the AM15's.

If it was me I would change the speakers AND the receiver if that was an option! The 814 also does not have HDMI or Dolby True HD capability so it could be improved on as well - if you were to make one change only I would replace the 814 with a Denon AVR1910 which we are now selling at £429.95 and which will offer much better control over the AM15's as well as offering you increased connectivity.

Thanks again for the post and drop me a line if I can assist in any way,

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 busher

Thanks John .. ideally it would be great to try a product like this first. Its easy to get seduced by the marketing and equally easy to be disappointed! What speakers would you recommend?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.