Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Request for Authorisation of Sound Suppressor

Options
  • 21-12-2009 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi

Just have had my .22 FCA1 returned.
    "I ticked the SILENCER box!"

The application came back with a note requesting "Report from Applicant as to type of Silencer and Authorisation for Same"

This is a new application, so I dont have prior authorisation.

I am currently drafting a letter titled - "Request for Authorisation of Silencer/Sound Suppressor"
    In it I am including details of suppressor (Calibre and Make).
    And also stating my reason for requiring same. (Hunting on farmland and wanting to avoid startling and frightening both equine and bovine livestock).

Do ye think that is enough detail to get authorisation?
    Any comments of advice welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

yea ,the reasons your giving should be enough
    i gave the same reasons and had no bother

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Permission for use of a sound suppressor/silencer.

• Silencers are designed to reduce the report of the firearm so as to conceal the position of the shooter, and also to reduce the felt recoil. Silencers have traditionally been used on rimfire rifles of .22 calibres when shooting rabbits. This allows the shooter to kill other animals who are not alarmed by the low report of the rifle.
    • Health and Safety. To prevent hearing damage to me and others nearby.
    To be aware of what and who is around me when hunting in the ‘field’ and to be able to hear people giving me instructions and warnings. Hearing protection is not an option under these conditions.
    • Improved accuracy of bullet placement on animals and thereby given a humane kill. This is one proven enhancement of using a sound suppressor.
    • Public Safety and Peace. To reduce the noise pollution to the public if and when they are within hearing of shots being fired. I have shooting permissions on lands where this can happen. On occasion the night shooting of vermin is needed and again the use of a sound suppressor will reduce the noise pollution to the public.
    • I have permissions to shoot on lands for the control of vermin where horses are kept and at time in foal and also other livestock. The sounds of shooting will stampede the horses and a sound suppressor is required on these occasions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Depends on your Super. I was refused a .22lr moderator and quoted all the relevant reasons for requiring it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Did the give you any (legitimate) reason for the refusal bunny?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Depends on your Super. I was refused a .22lr moderator and quoted all the relevant reasons for requiring it :mad:

Alot has to go with your super as bunny has said, some areas seem to be a no go area.

The reasons you are giving are valid, throw in one or two of clives as well. Hope it goes well for you.

• Advertisement

Hibrion wrote: »
    Did the give you any (legitimate) reason for the refusal bunny?

Reasons he gave me are here on another thread. He basically decided that using a moderator would conceal my shooting position and therefore it would be dangerous for other people in the area as they wouldn't know where the shot were coming from.

Basically what he did was use the stuff in the Commissioners Guidelines regarding moderators as the reason not to grant it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Thanks bunny, I'm still waiting on mine back and I have a strange feeling I'll be met with the same excus... I mean, reasons.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Would it be possible to say something in your permission letters im not due for renewal till may. So was thinking of getting my land owner to say request permission aswell something like...

I xox give xox permission to shoot and control vermin on my lands at xoxox,
    i have approx circa 200 acres and some shooting will be in close in-proximity to livestock. During lambing season etc There for i would appreciate if xox could be in postion of a silencer. Id be happy to answer any questions......

or am i pushing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭paddy2008

my mod permit came the other day dated to dec 2012,i recieved it with my four appicalition recieved letters!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

Did you get a saparate permit for mods? my licences just have a small "s" in the bottom left of the card on the ones i ticked the silencer box on,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭paddy2008

Did you get a saparate permit for mods? my licences just have a small "s" in the bottom left of the card on the ones i ticked the silencer box on,

Yes got a saparate permit a4 size details of myself and gun, dated and signed by super and expiry date dec 2012, but no rifle permit yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nip102

Thanks for the advice.

We shall now await the outcome, this should be interesting. As I was told upon first submission at the desk "it wont happen, these are not given out around here".

I said "leave the box ticked anyway".

I will shortly know for definite!

nip102 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice.

We shall now await the outcome, this should be interesting. As I was told upon first submission at the desk "it wont happen, these are not given out around here".

I said "leave the box ticked anyway".

I will shortly know for definite!

Let us know how it goes ;)

Advertisement