Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

galway city salt/grit for ice

Options
  • 21-12-2009 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭

Salt/grit bins is it a Galway city thing or a National thing that they simply dont exist?

I have done my driveway, and the pavement outside my house and half the road with dishwasher salt and sand mix, its no where near as good as the proper stuff but I cant rest thinking someone could fall outside my house or skid on the road.

Does the Council have a place where you can get the salt/grit ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Salt/grit bins is it a Galway city thing or a National thing that they simply dont exist?
    Much like Colonialism, Salt/grit bins are a thing the Irish seldom do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭July

but I cant rest thinking someone could fall outside my house or skid on the road

I understand your good intentions but I think you'd be liable if an accident happened after you had put something on the road/footpath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

July wrote: »
    I understand your good intentions but I think you'd be liable if an accident happened after you had put something on the road/footpath.

Liable for putting salt/grit down outside my house,
    GET REAL.. the councils should provide rock salt for residents in all areas to do that, all im doing is that with my own salt/grit

liable.. LMFAO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I have done my driveway, and the pavement outside my house and half the road with dishwasher salt and sand mix, its no where near as good as the proper stuff but I cant rest thinking someone could fall outside my house or skid on the road.

Does the Council have a place where you can get the salt/grit ??
    The council do the roads around my area but you have to do your own property AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Try using the ash from your fireplace; works very well.

• Advertisement

liable.. LMFAO

You wouldn't be 'LYFAO' if an accident happened and what I had said was correct..

Be careful you don't slip.. Or someone else might be 'LTFAO'.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The council can barely manage to do the public roads and footpaths (great craicwalking skating thru Eyre Square mid-afternoon today!).

OP In this is a low-tax, low-service country we're living in, so I'm not surprised. But, I don't believe that the law here holds homeowners liable for accidents that happen on public property outside their homes. Let's not go encouraging the litigious among us to think it should. If someone injures themselves outside your house, yes it will be unpleasant for you having to call the ambulance, but it's the corpo, not you, that they will be suing.

To be fair, Galway doesn't usually get this icy.

JustMary wrote: »
    I don't believe that the law here holds homeowners liable for accidents that happen on public property outside their homes.

Maybe (thankfully) nothing seems to have happened for anyone to be prosecuted in this way but coming from a farming background I've always had it in my head that you'd be liable if you leave any material on a public road - intentionally or not.

I will concede that there's a big difference between gritting a road to make it safer and allowing sand or clay to build up on the road.

Info here from County Council
    "It is an offence to allow any materials such as clay, slurry or fodder onto a public road where it would create a hazard. Landowners are obliged to ensure that water, soil or other material does not flow or fall onto a public road."

http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/RoadsTransportation/Methodsofnetworkcontrol/DamagetopublicRoads/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭lovelyhome

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I spread sand/salt on the path outside my house this evening too, it was icy because I put water on the car this morning and the water ran off onto the footpath.

So would I be less liable if I just leave the ice on the path untreated? doubt it, the place is gone to pot if someone tries to grit a path to make it safer and they end up leaving themselves open to chancers trying to sue.

Agree with an earlier poster who mentioned that we are a low-tax country so low service levels as a result. Compare the services provided in a country like Denmark, I'm sure they would make things like salt/sand available to the public, but they pay more for it in taxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The council have done a far better job with the city centre overnight/this morning: I went for a walk around 10, lots of evidence of salt, no skating involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

JustMary wrote: »
    The council have done a far better job with the city centre overnight/this morning: I went for a walk around 10, lots of evidence of salt, no skating involved.

ahh Mary im sure you look very fetching skating in the morning, me i fell on my bum in the driveway!! (before the grit i have to say)

im gonna get me some from mcdonaghs thanks for that!!:)
    i dont mind paying for it, and yes low taxes i have to agree.
    thanks so much for all your help:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Most of ye probably know this, but it shouldn't ever be just salt, but a salt/grit or sand mix. If it refreezes after just using salt, it will make it as cold and smooth as a pre-election pitch. ;)

Advertisement