Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

im doing my cao this year, did the leavin last year tho...i dont see jam making on it, is it there. i like making jam

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

mink_man wrote: »
    im doing my cao this year, did the leavin last year tho...i dont see jam making on it, is it there. i like making jam
    You really don't learn easily, do you?!

Banned ... again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

You really don't learn easily, do you?!

Banned ... again!
    Harsh:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Have people sent theirs in yet? I'm still struggling to find enough courses so i might just send it what i have a change/add it later.

Are you sending in the paper form? Sure just do it on the website. Safer and easier imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Conor108 wrote: »
    Are you sending in the paper form? Sure just do it on the website. Safer and easier imo.

Yeah i'm going to do it on the website but i just don't have it filled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

theowen wrote: »
    Harsh:eek:
    Not given the looooong history there, Owen.

No, I haven't suddenly turned into Genghis Khan! ... and just to prove it I'm not going to spank you for breaking the sitewide rule about not questioning moderator decisions on thread ... :p

Not given the looooong history there, Owen.

No, I haven't suddenly turned into Genghis Khan! ... and just to prove it I'm not going to spank you for breaking the sitewide rule about not questioning moderator decisions on thread ... :p
    Oi, you're a noble and amiable moderator indeed!:p I thought you just didn't like his cheeky post:rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Sorsors

Music CIT hopefully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Im confused i just cant make my mind up but i have narrowed it down between 2/3 careers

1.Archaeology
    2.Journalism
    3.Secondary teaching(not really that important just a back up back up plan)

1. If I go with archaeology I apply to Queens belfast or Sligo IT. When i think of archaeology I think of the excitement like of digging up finding stuff and being in the fresh air. But then when I really think about winter freezing weather and have to wear old clothes all the time like. Also i'm studying History atm and as most of you would the course is based on more modern history whereas archaeology is based on really old old history like the stone age, so i wouldn't feel I would know the stuff well enough.

2. I've always had an idea of being a writer or a journalist. I like finding out loads of information and explaining it to people or just telling them about it in a simple way. I also like going out meeting new people. College/course wise I wouldn't want to do a Journalism course I would like to do english/history or possilby liberal arts or literature film languages course in UL. If/when i manage to get a job then i could see myself like wearing normal clothes typing being warm in the winter especially=). But the reason why I havent thought of this for a while untill now again is that a few years i had what you call a visiting teacher(i get this service as i'm hard of hearing and she just goes over subjects etc..) and she was saying it's really tough preofession and even though your not meant/allow to discrimminate I would find it even harder to get a job due to my hearing.

3.Im only really thinking of teaching as a back-up plan like...if i only still dunno what i wanna do. Like i was thinking of Arts in UCD that i would do Archaeology and like two mainstream subjects like German/Geography, so like if it turns out archaeology wasn't for me i could always get into teaching.

Sorry for rambling, but what do you think after that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Mary007

LovexxLife wrote: »
    Im confused i just cant make my mind up but i have narrowed it down between 2/3 careers

1.Archaeology
    2.Journalism
    3.Secondary teaching(not really that important just a back up back up plan)

1. If I go with archaeology I apply to Queens belfast or Sligo IT.

I don't know what to tell you really only you can make the right decision for you! But, if you're gonna apply for Queens Belfast you know the deadline for UCAS is approaching quickly! Go with what you love deep down :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,796 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Computing in CIT I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Heffo91

I'm looking at a tcm in trinity with history and economics. Could anyone tell me the points needed for this? i tried qualifax but that just made me more confused?

Looks like the course code for History and Economics is TR202 according to my prospectus. I think there is somewhere on the TCD website where you type that in and it tells you the points.

History says 515-530 depending on what course you take with it. It is actually very confusing!

EDIT: Oh found it Here. Scroll down to the TSM combinations and look at the table. Minimum points for 2009 were 495. However "Not all applicants at this level were offered places."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

Did mine yesterday..

1. Primary Teaching Mary I
    2. Arts UCC
    3. Public Administration UL
    4. Early Childhood Studies UCC
    5. Liberal Arts Mary I

I shall add more later.. just wanted to get it started!

Being realistic (NOT negitive!) I proberly wont get Primary Teaching and will end up doing Arts.. the only thing is Im worried that I wont find a job after with an Arts degree and usually you have to continue to do another course after Arts.. What I hope to do is go into Primary Teaching from arts but so many people are doing that so its hard to get into the course.. what other jobs besides teaching can you get from an Arts degree :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭MunchkinKid

Anyone looking to do athletic therapy in dcu? Heard a little bit about it and it sounds good! Anyone heard what its like? Also sent away physio for uni of ulster in belfast.. Altho i've been told i should be a primary school teacher and that hadnt even crossed my mind!:rolleyes:
    I think il put athletic therapy dcu down first then mayb
    Physio in trinity then physio in ucd... Then if it comes to it primary teaching!! Haha...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

after watching "the school" on rte earlier i've decided i don't think i'd like 2nd level teaching after all! I was going to put it down as 4th or 5th choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

I have only essentially One choice : Animation in IADT.
    Stupid lack of animation courses -.- I'm trying to find other courses to put down to fill the cao up. Has anyone ever put down just One choice?:P

Also make sure you put down your Main course you're aiming to get into first! I've heard how people thinking they won't get into one course so they put it second rather than first, you only get one Single place out of it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

I dont really see any level 7 courses I want to put down.. like any. Might throw a few down just in case. anyone else not putting level 7 courses down?

Cork*Girl - I'm not. I can't picked out 5 Level 8 subjects let alone level 7!

cork*girl wrote: »
    I dont really see any level 7 courses I want to put down.. like any. Might throw a few down just in case. anyone else not putting level 7 courses down?

Nope i'm not, don't really see any i want to put down. Still struggling to get ten level 8's so i think i'll just leave it with what i have.

• Advertisement

Orlaladuck wrote: »
    Has anyone ever put down just One choice?:P
    If you deferred a course you only put down one course. So the answer is yes:p

I put down Science in DIT as my only level 7. Couldnt find anything else. Found 10 level 8's though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

I have 10 Level 8 courses and some Level 7s... You never know what might happen, so it's best to be safe I think. I've put down Science in DIT, Forensic and Pharmaceutical Chemistry in LIT and Forensics & DNA in Tallaght - just to cover all angles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

Ive got about 3 courses now....but theres only one of these that i want tbh..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Orlaladuck wrote: »
    I have only essentially One choice : Animation in IADT.
    Stupid lack of animation courses -.- I'm trying to find other courses to put down to fill the cao up. Has anyone ever put down just One choice?:P

That's very risky business! You'd best put down some more- you don't have to do them if they're offered to you, but at least you'll have the choice of doing some course if you felt like it, instead of repeating/taking a year out/whatever you would do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭yenoBAYUB

still dont have a clue what i want to do :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

Jesus guys, I blocked boards from my computer a few months back, I come on now through a proxy and I recognise no-one! But to all the new enthusiasts, howdy, I\'m very pleased to meet you all :)

Anyhoo, well I think I\'m gonna do my CAO today. I have tried a few times but literally seen my choices on the page, got scared of the future, bottled it and x\'d out of the browser... And I want to med!

But yes, back on topic here.

Em, anyone really struggling with the location of where they want to study? Because I am, badly.

At the mo, I\'m thinking:

1. Med TCD
    2. Med UCD
    3. Med UCG
    4. Med RCSI
    5. Med UCC
    6-10 Anything from maths and ecomonics to science, to English and Philosophy.

My dilemma though. I live in Dublin, on the Northside (respect) and I\'m at my wits end deciding between Trinity and UCD. It\'s really coming down to things outside the medical teaching because an MB BCh BAO is the same from all the unis.

Pros for Trinners: Nearer and easier to get to, 5 years, apparently more respected (never thought that came into medical education though? I always thought a doctor is a doctor at the end of the day?), The Phil
    Cons for Trinners: I depise town, sporting facilities are meh, I really didn\'t like the way the lecturer at the open day presented Trinity students (kinda clueless and prestige-chasing, but I know that shouldn\'t really infuence my decision)

Pros for UCD: The teaching hospitals (especially the Mater), New Health Sci building is rad, sporting facilities, the open day gave me the impression that the lecturers were far more organised and focused, seemed to be a really good atmosphere amongst students
    Cons for UCD: Trek out (I\'d probbers have to move out... don\'t have the moolah), depressing architecture, 6 years, I could see myself feeling anonymous

So, basically I\'m a wee bit concerned. I mean, it\'s at least 5 years of my life, so I want to enjoy the challenge.

Oh and peeps going for med, look into back up courses in 5th year if you can. I didn\'t (because I knew I wanted med) and I regret it greatly. I have zero clue what to put down as a back up.

I'd say go for Trinity if anything - better respected definitely and it'd be cheaper on your parents (I'm only assuming here they'll be the ones paying for everything) if anything. I'm not from Dublin myself but I know how much I hate the busyness of around that area - it Never ever seems to stop!
    I personally don't care about sports too much but in my own opinion at the end of the day you're going to uni for the education and Not the sports itself - but that's really you're own interests.
    UCD as far as I've heard has got great facillities and whatnot and a friend of mine said the same thing about a Law lecture she got in Trinity - the guy was really cocky and put her off the course alot but it's only one lecturer, you might not even get him so try your best not to let that persuade you!

Just as long as your not using silly arguments like you see on Facebook against trinity - 'i'm so proud i'm catholic' VS 'ucd students can't spell' :cool:

I loved the lecturers in Trinity, i thought they made the courses out to be fantastic. I'm putting Science in Trinity down as my first choice (fingers crossed i get in) it took me a while to decide where to go but i prefer Trinity (and it's very easy to go to for me) :) courses in Maynooth are my 2nd, 3rd and 4th choices and then UCD id my 5th.

• Advertisement

Hmm Ive Trinners 2nd and UCD 1st. Might leave it like that. Sure Im not THAT far away from UCD. Science btw

Advertisement