Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭TirNaNog.

whelpy wrote: »
    1. CK404 Environmental and Earth System Sciences
    2. DN038 Climate and Earth System Science
    3. DN008 Science
    4. GY314 Earth and Ocean Sciences
    5. GY301 Science
    6. TL400 Wildlife Biology

What about earth science in TCD?
    I'm interested in earth system & climate science in UCD too,is half maths/geological science degree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

<snip>

Stop stirring it, SB! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Waaaayyy!!

cork*girl wrote: »
    Did mine yesterday..

1. Primary Teaching Mary I
    2. Arts UCC
    3. Public Administration UL
    4. Early Childhood Studies UCC
    5. Liberal Arts Mary I

I shall add more later.. just wanted to get it started!

Being realistic (NOT negitive!) I proberly wont get Primary Teaching and will end up doing Arts.. the only thing is Im worried that I wont find a job after with an Arts degree and usually you have to continue to do another course after Arts.. What I hope to do is go into Primary Teaching from arts but so many people are doing that so its hard to get into the course.. what other jobs besides teaching can you get from an Arts degree :confused:

You should definately put down the three other primary teaching colleges as well as Mary I. Pats is usually 5 points lower and Marino and Froebel are another 5 below that.

Also, if you plan to do an arts degree to get into primary teaching at a later stage it is better to do the arts degree in either Mary I or Pats.

One other thing to remember is that the number of post-grad conversion to primary teaching courses has been seriously cut by the government this year and it's future is not guranteed. As an option, you could do this course in England but remember you will have to complete an Irish exam once you return and begin to teach. Also getting a job in Ireland with an English degree might prove more difficult as a degree from an Irish teacher training college might be more respected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Just filled out mine now:)

1. TR071 Science
    2. TR035 Theoretical Physics
    3. TR077 Earth Sciences

Although i'll be adding more/changing that:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Hey guys I have my level 8 done but need help w/ my level 7/6, I really wanna do Psychology. Does anybody know of any level 7/6 for Psych?? Also does anyone know of any back doors into Psychology? PLCs FETAC ect??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Ahhh , got to get this out of the way this week.
    Still not exactly sure what to put down..

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

DGRulz wrote: »
    Hey guys I have my level 8 done but need help w/ my level 7/6, I really wanna do Psychology. Does anybody know of any level 7/6 for Psych?? Also does anyone know of any back doors into Psychology? PLCs FETAC ect??

Check out the website for the Psychology Society of Ireland (PSI) http://www.psihq.ie/ or give them a ring for advice. Becoming a psychologist requires a post graduate degree and usually a two year trainee-ship fyi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

imokyrok wrote: »
    Check out the website for the Psychology Society of Ireland (PSI) http://www.psihq.ie/ or give them a ring for advice. Becoming a psychologist requires a post graduate degree and usually a two year trainee-ship fyi.

Thanks for the advice Ill give them a ring. Yea I'm fully aware of it & willing to go through it. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Anyone willing to give us a hand here? I'm confused.:confused:

Ok so before I did my CAO i did the test one on it thing, not sure of the proper name for it.
    Anyways during it it asked for my schools adress and such.

When I did my real CAO there the last day I was never asked for it.

Only for the ones that I've attended, with my top one being the one I'm currently at, 08-10, so have I done it all properly?

Also, I have all 10 levels 8's down, and 2 level 6/7's, is that my CAO done now and I need to do nothing else?

Sorry if this is very unclear and such, but I am confused, and sorry if its stupid and obvious or whatever but I really don't know if I'm done.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Anyone willing to give us a hand here? I'm confused.:confused:

Ok so before I did my CAO i did the test one on it thing, not sure of the proper name for it.
    Anyways during it it asked for my schools adress and such.

When I did my real CAO there the last day I was never asked for it.

Only for the ones that I've attended, with my top one being the one I'm currently at, 08-10, so have I done it all properly?

Also, I have all 10 levels 8's down, and 2 level 6/7's, is that my CAO done now and I need to do nothing else?

Sorry if this is very unclear and such, but I am confused, and sorry if its stupid and obvious or whatever but I really don't know if I'm done.
    Thanks.

Dont worry, it is kinda confusing.

On your CAO under where you added your courses does it say 'Modify Your Qualifications and Assessment Details'? or something like that? If it does click it and thats where you put your school details. Well thats what I seem to have done looking at mine anyway.

And yep you can put as many or as few (well 1 at least obviously) Courses as you like. I just filled up 10 Level 8's and 1 Level 6/7. I'm not too sure what we do after that. I think we just leave it and take it that details have been submitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I still haven't done mine :o Still trying to decide on courses, i know i can change them but don't know what order to put them in now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭GLUEY

Haven't bothered registering yet. Is there a time limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

<snip>

Stop stirring it, SB! :P

In fairness, I do go to there though.;)

GLUEY wrote: »
    Haven't bothered registering yet. Is there a time limit?

It's ten euro cheaper if you register before the 20th of January after that it has to be in by the 1st of Feb. The price doubles if you have it in any later but then it has to be in before May and when it's in you can change it until July. All on here www.cao.ie if you want to know more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 yo!its_yoyo

This is what it says

Closing Date. No extension to the closing date will be allowed.

All fees are Non-refundable.
    ALL DATES ARE CLOSING DATES

Normal application (online or paper) €45
    1 Feb 2010 (5:15 pm)

Online discounted rate €35
    20 Jan 2010 (5:15 pm)

Late online application €70
    1 May 2010 (5:15 pm)

Late paper application €90

Change of Mind €Nil
    1 July 2010 (5:15 pm)
    With the change of mind, can you add and remove courses?

This is what it says

Closing Date. No extension to the closing date will be allowed.

All fees are Non-refundable.
    ALL DATES ARE CLOSING DATES

Normal application (online or paper) €45
    1 Feb 2010 (5:15 pm)

Online discounted rate €35
    20 Jan 2010 (5:15 pm)

Late online application €70

Late paper application €90

Change of Mind €Nil
    1 July 2010 (5:15 pm)
    With the change of mind, can you add and remove courses?

Yup, from when the Change of Mind opens in May until it closes in July you can add or remove courses 10 times a day every day if you want! The only exception is that you CANNOT add Restricted courses after 1st February. This includes courses like Medicine, Music, Drama, anything that requires a test or audition other than the Leaving Cert itself.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Is there anyway you can change it between Feb 1st and May?? And how do you pay for it??

I thought I heard something that you cant add normal courses after February 1st just chenge the order of your selections?? Thats not true is it??

DB10 wrote: »
    Is there anyway you can change it between Feb 1st and May?? And how do you pay for it??

I thought I heard something that you cant add normal courses after February 1st just chenge the order of your selections?? Thats not true is it??
    you can change it between the 5th febuary-1st March. But a $10 fee appplies.
    You pay for it using debit/credit card.
    One person said you can add/remove courses, so I hope she's right!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

They really go out of there way to make it as confusing as they possibly can eh?

Amd they do a good job of it aswell!

• Advertisement

Afaik you can add/remove courses between February and May, but you have to pay for it. Dunno why you'd do that when it opens free in May, maybe if you needed to put a restricted course down?

Either way, you can change the order/add/remove any non-restricted course as often as you like during the change of mind period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 ithoughtitwasap

Haven't sent mine off yet, keep putting it off for some reason, must be a psychological thing! :P

I was thinking:

English - Trinners
    Arts - UCD
    Arts - Trinners
    Arts - Maynooth

I was at the Trinity and Maynooth open days, Maynooth looked really good, though I know I'd just end up going into Dublin every other day, wasting all my money. And I didn't even get into English or Arts showcases in Trinity, place was jammers. =[

If I do Arts, it'll be with English, Philosophy and Sociology, preferrably. I know they're options in Maynooth, but I don't think they work out in Trinity or UCD, considering Trinity's course is a two-subject moderatorship.

The other thing I liked about Maynooth is the Arts International course, I'd love to study abroad for a year, but realistically, I don't know!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭aimerlans

i have finally decided :)

1. Civil Law DCU
    2. Law & Acc UL

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

Just did mine
    Animation - IADT
    Arts with Film Studies - NUI Galway
    Arts- UCC
    English with film UCD.

I'm only really going for the first one, the rest are essentially there for show. If I don't get in, I'm going to do a portfolio course somewhere :cool:.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Aoiferz

Did mine the other day

Science in Trinity
    Science in UCD
    and then science anywhere else I can think of

Just finished mine there, wasn't sure if i did it right and had a little moment but then got an e-mail assuring me that i did :o Anyway here's what i have:

Science in Trinity
    Science Education in Maynooth
    Psychology in DCU
    Science in Maynooth
    Science in UCD
    Arts in Maynooth
    Psychology through Science in Maynooth
    Arts and Humanities in St. Pats

and then Biosciences and Science in DIT as level 7's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Ah crap! I made my CAO account but then realised I made a typo and typed in my DOB wrong. I'm out by about 10 days. If I ring the CAO office tomorrow, do you think they can alter it to my correct date of birth? I know it was a stupid thing to do but I really want it sorted out. To be safe, I haven't chosen my courses yet and have only set up with account with credit card details etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Mary007

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Ah crap! I made my CAO account but then realised I made a typo and typed in my DOB wrong. I'm out by about 10 days. If I ring the CAO office tomorrow, do you think they can alter it to my correct date of birth? I know it was a stupid thing to do but I really want it sorted out. To be safe, I haven't chosen my courses yet and have only set up with account with credit card details etc.

Once you've gone through, I'm pretty sure you can edit personal info ie. address etc so you might be able to edit your DOB yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Mary007 wrote: »
    Once you've gone through, I'm pretty sure you can edit personal info ie. address etc so you might be able to edit your DOB yourself
    Really? I had a quick look and there didn't appear to be an option for it.

I remember a pop-up appeared to clairfy that all the information was correct, and I clicked ok. I assumed after that I couldn't change it. I obviously realised that I typed in my DOB wrong after I tried to log in. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Did mine on sat:)
    1. Occupational Therapy-TCD
    2. Occupational Therapy-NUIG
    3. Occupational Therapy-UCC
    4. Maths-NUIM
    5. Maths-TCD
    And then a few arts courses and the likes :D

Advertisement