Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Mary007

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Really? I had a quick look and there didn't appear to be an option for it.

I remember a pop-up appeared to clairfy that all the information was correct, and I clicked ok. I assumed after that I couldn't change it. I obviously realised that I typed in my DOB wrong after I tried to log in. :(

Just found this on their site :
    To change your name and/or date of birth you must make a
    request to CAO in writing. Once approved, it may take up
    to five working days to be updated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭cxh20y

Gonna do mine this week :)

1. Veterinary Medicine - UCD
    2.Animal Science- UCD
    3.Cell and molecular biology- UCD
    4.Biochemistry -UCD
    5. Zoology- UCD

Annoying the way all of these courses are in UCD, but whatever it takes to be a vet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Anyone have a clue on how you defer for a year? Me Guidance Counsellor hasn't a clue...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Did mine last week:

1. TR032 Engineering
    2. DN077 Engineering
    3. DC200 Common Entry into Engineering (Undenominated Entry)
    4. DC193 Mechatronic Engineering
    5. TR024 European Studies

I never thought it would be so hard to come up with enough courses!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

cxh20y wrote: »
    Gonna do mine this week :)

1. Veterinary Medicine - UCD
    2.Animal Science- UCD
    3.Cell and molecular biology- UCD
    4.Biochemistry -UCD
    5. Zoology- UCD

Annoying the way all of these courses are in UCD, but whatever it takes to be a vet :)
    Gave the CAO Office a call today. They said it can be sorted out via email. They better be right.

Anyway, here are my courses.

1. MD301 Education, Religion and History - second level teaching
    2. MD500 Arts - Irish Studies and Religious Studies
    3. MU001 Theology and Arts
    4. DC231 International Relations
    5. MH101 Arts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 ithoughtitwasap

Just did it there:

1: English Studies - Trinners
    2: Arts with English and Philosophy - Trinners
    3: Arts with English and Philosophy - UCD
    4: English - UCD
    5: Arts - Maynooth (Will select English, Philosophy and Sociology)
    6: English - Maynooth

As they say, pick your course, not your college. I'd rather not go to Trinity, strangely, not fond of the campus! :P Then again, over 1000 students doing Arts every year in UCD? Getting the books becomes a problem I'd say! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 yo!its_yoyo

hunter164 wrote: »
    Anyone have a clue on how you defer for a year? Me Guidance Counsellor hasn't a clue...
    You should still apply now for the course you want at the moment. Then if you get the offer you should write a letter to the college asking them to to defer the place for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 WHirl7

You should still apply now for the course you want at the moment. Then if you get the offer you should write a letter to the college asking them to to defer the place for a year.

Yep, that's pretty much it. It's explained in the CAO Handbook too.

I don't know what course I want to do, so can I just like leave me CAO blank this year and then use it next year?

No, you should fill it out now. It is only 35 euro. You can keep researching courses and keep changing your mind up until July 1st. What about if you find a course that you like the sound of in may or june, if you don't submit your application you will be stuck to doing nothing for a year while everyone else passes you out.

So you should fill it out with any course now. Research courses for the next couple of months, ask questions about them on boards.ie,etc.

• Advertisement

I want to take a year out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

You still can! If you find a course that you like before July 1st and get offered it through the CAO, you can defer it, take the year out and start that course next year.

(I think, can anyone back that up?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Conor108 wrote: »
    You still can! If you find a course that you like before July 1st and get offered it through the CAO, you can defer it, take the year out and start that course next year.

(I think, can anyone back that up?)

i'll back u up but wud like if someone backed me up too.

Also the advantage of applying this year is that the points might be higher next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

Im having second thoughts about putting Arts UCC second.. thinking about putting Arts w/ Film Studies in Galway 2nd or 3rd.. and then I still have to find some other courses to add.. UGHHH!! I know I have ages to keep changing.. ugh I dont know what to put..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

pathway33 wrote: »
    i'll back u up but wud like if someone backed me up too.

Also the advantage of applying this year is that the points might be higher next year

why would the points be higher next year..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Daragh101 wrote: »

Due to the lack of employment lots of people are deciding to go the college route therefore increased demand equals higher points.

some courses with big numbers like UCD arts stay pretty static but some others with a much smaller intake have been known to fluctuate wildly. Points could also go down. Tis all about keeping your options as open as possible.

Trekmad wrote: »
    Due to the lack of employment lots of people are deciding to go the college route therefore increased demand equals higher points.

well fair enough but would that not take effect this year rather than next, presuming that the economy will be in a better state than this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Bigrob

Aeronautical Engineering in UL!!

well fair enough but would that not take effect this year rather than next, presuming that the economy will be in a better state than this year?
    Points for courses change all the time and they are unpredictable.
    5 points can be the difference between entry and rejection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

It did, to some extent.

And that's a big presumption.

It's going to take a lot more than a year before we see any noticeable improvement, imho.

It did, to some extent.

And that's a big presumption.

It's going to take a lot more than a year before we see any noticeable improvement, imho.

well mabe, but every year is one closer to recovery!

well mabe, but every year is one closer to recovery!

and as we get closer to recovery, construction related courses like civil engineering, architecture, quantity surveying will increase in points

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

This mine but i be changing it later:

level 8
    1. DN012 Arts
    2. DK861 Humanities
    3. SG446 Applied Archaeology
    4. LM045 Languages, Literature and Film
    5. MI004 Liberal Arts
    6. PC411 English & History
    7. GY120 Arts (Environment and Society/Youth and Family Studies at St. Angelas)
    8. MH109 Media Studies
    9. DK876 Early Childhood Studies
    10. TI008 Environmental and Natural Resource Management

level 7

1. SG438 Applied Archaeology
    2. GA272 Heritage Studies
    3. DT418 Baking and Pastry Arts Management
    4. DK752 Business - Event Management
    5. DL231 Business Studies - Enterprise
    6. DK762 Communications in Creative Multimedia
    7. DK784 Veterinary Nursing
    8. GA376 Event Management
    9. TL610 Renewable Energy and Energy Management
    10. CW547 TV and Media Production

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I'm quite annoyed at myself.

Repeating this year,having turned down an offer of Science at Trinity in August,and guess what I'm seriously considering as my first choice? Science at Trinity. :/
    Meh,it's only a matter of time before I change my mind again,I guess. It's just me being typically me.

My CAO (haven't done it yet) is looking to be varied. Should be funnn.

well done on filling in the 20 LoveXXLife. So many people just put down 2 or 3 level 8 courses even on 30th june and then they are crying over spilt milk in august when they get no offers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Love life how you got so many course in the ordinary level section amazes me because I only have three in mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I've only two, couldn't find any others i liked. Don't particularly want the level 7 courses either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

pathway33 wrote: »
    well done on filling in the 20 LoveXXLife. So many people just put down 2 or 3 level 8 courses even on 30th june and then they are crying over spilt milk in august when they get no offers
    There's absolutely no point in putting down courses just so you'll get an offer. An offer of a course you have no intention of taking is just as useless as no offers at all.

• Advertisement

Lawliet wrote: »
    There's absolutely no point in putting down courses just so you'll get an offer. An offer of a course you have no intention of taking is just as useless as no offers at all.

you may have no intention of taking it on 30 june but you may be very glad of it on 30 august.

Advertisement