Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

pathway33 wrote: »
    you may have no intention of taking it on 30 june but you may be very glad of it on 30 august.
    Maybe, but from personal experience that's not the case. I found having an offer made it far more difficult to make the sensible decision and repeat to get the course I did want. Falling into a course just because it's a course, isn't good idea. Sure, some get lucky and love it, but I'd imagine there's plenty who regret it, and they're stuck either having to finish a three+ year course they hate, or drop out and face repeating and then have to pay fees.

The point I'm trying to make is that unless your interesting in the course and can see yourself being happy doing it for the next three or four years, then there's feck all point putting it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Lawliet wrote: »
    Maybe, but from personal experience that's not the case. I found having an offer made it far more difficult to make the sensible decision and repeat to get the course I did want. Falling into a course just because it's a course, isn't good idea. Sure, some get lucky and love it, but I'd imagine there's plenty who regret it, and they're stuck either having to finish a three+ year course they hate, or drop out and face repeating and then have to pay fees.

The point I'm trying to make is that unless your interesting in the course and can see yourself being happy doing it for the next three or four years, then there's feck all point putting it down.

+1 on paragraph 1

-1 on paragraph 2 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Colm C

Thinking either commerce or BIS in UCC next year.Can imagine the ponts for both going up next year though

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Thankies=)

Well actually im not putting down the courses just for the craic i have an interest in them all, im just very open-minded and quite big on humanities stuff so like theres loads of courses i can find that i would like to try.

pathway33 wrote: »
    +1 on paragraph 1

-1 on paragraph 2 :D
    Haha fair enough!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Does "other names" mean first name? or middle names as well?

Its not really clear at all..:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Black Magic

Confirmation name, nickname. Anything really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

DB10 wrote: »
    Does "other names" mean first name? or middle names as well?

Its not really clear at all..:(
    It's whatever's under your first name in your passport. I think it's usually first name and middle name.
    Confirmation name, nickname. Anything really.
    Nooo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

nickname. Anything really.

People call my friend 'big ears'. Should he put that down?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

. Falling into a course just because it's a course, isn't good idea. Sure, some get lucky and love it, but I'd imagine there's plenty who regret it, and they're stuck either having to finish a three+ year course they hate, or drop out and face repeating and then have to pay fees.
    Wise words.A few of my freinds either didn't really thinkabout what they wanted as a back up course or even their number one.Then in first year they ended up not going to lectures becaise they weren't really interested in what they were doing.Trust me when you have to face a 20 minute walk in the rain to a lecture that starts at 9 being passionate about your course is the only reason to get out of bed.Also I wouldn't necessarily go along with the whole "Course befre College" idea.Yes most of the time you should stick to this.However i have heard people say "I like my course,but I don't like Dublin."Just something to bear in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

Once you have medicine down on your CAO are you allowed to rearrange it around as much as you like? As a restricted course theres a closing date for when these have to be put down but not sure when, in the next few days I think??? After this closing date are you still allowed to rearrage restricted courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Xtina!! wrote: »
    Once you have medicine down on your CAO are you allowed to rearrange it around as much as you like? As a restricted course theres a closing date for when these have to be put down but not sure when, in the next few days I think??? After this closing date are you still allowed to rearrage restricted courses?

Medicine I believe is a restricted course now with the HPAT test. If the course you intend doing is restricted entry you have a certain time to add it on your cao application and are not allowed add it after certain date but you can remove it after that date until the 1st of July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Calum196

Xtina!! wrote: »

Yes, you can juggle them around all you want during the change of mind.

The only thing you can't do with restricted courses is add them after 1st Feb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 goldenlady131

So I'm kinda freaking out also. I have ideas of what I want to do, I just can't actually visualise myself doing them. :eek:
    Plus our careers teacher barely explained how to fill out the form so can anyone enlighten me?
    Also which is better, post or online?

i might be a guidance counsellor, since they get paid to do sweet **** all...

I had one discussion with her in 5 years and all that done was put me off a course I wanted to do...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

So I'm kinda freaking out also. I have ideas of what I want to do, I just can't actually visualise myself doing them.
    Plus our careers teacher barely explained how to fill out the form so can anyone enlighten me?
    Also which is better, post or online?

Online is better and you would want to be filling it out soon because it goes up in price on the 20th of January but you don't need to put any courses down immediately

i tried to fill out the form tonight. got confused on the second line so i just gave up...:pac:

didnt bother studying because i was thinking of the cao and gave that up so just watched u,me and dupree...:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Fuzz Aldrin

Just trying to fill out the demo atm, I've got down:
    1. Mechanical Engineering - UCD
    2. Physics - UCC
    3. Mechanical Engineering - UL
    4. Physics - UCD
    5. Mechanical Engineering - NUIG

Don't really know whether to apply or not - I'll likely go to Queen's Belfast, but I've got no word back from them on my application so far, plus if they put tuition fees up it would be pretty hard financially (understatement), so :confused:

Does anyone know how they "categorize" NI applicants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

Just trying to fill out the demo atm, I've got down:
    1. Mechanical Engineering - UCD
    2. Physics - UCC
    3. Mechanical Engineering - UL
    4. Physics - UCD
    5. Mechanical Engineering - NUIG

Don't really know whether to apply or not - I'll likely go to Queen's Belfast, but I've got no word back from them on my application so far, plus if they put tuition fees up it would be pretty hard financially (understatement), so :confused:

Does anyone know how they "categorize" NI applicants?

you have a patterned cao form!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

cork*girl wrote: »

lol..i was going to say that..:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 goldenlady131

haha, so true. Might actually consider that one myself.

1. Science - TCD
    2. Science - UCD
    3. Science - NUIM
    4. Science - NUIG
    5. Science - GMIT
    6. Biotechnology -NUIM
    7. Biotechnology - NUIG
    8. Genetics and Cell Biology -DCU

May do some tweaking with the order of the courses when the change of mind opens, but I don't think I'll be adding any more courses. I'm happy with everything that's on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Fuzz Aldrin

cork*girl wrote: »

lol, never noticed that :p

1. Science - TCD
    2. Science - UCD
    3. Science - NUIM
    4. Science - NUIG
    5. Science - GMIT
    6. Biotechnology -NUIM
    7. Biotechnology - NUIG
    8. Genetics and Cell Biology -DCU

May do some tweaking with the order of the courses when the change of mind opens, but I don't think I'll be adding any more courses. I'm happy with everything that's on there.

I take it you like science!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Bhoy_

1. TR032 Engineering
    2. DC200 Common Entry into Engineering (Undenominated Entry)
    3. TR033 Computer Science
    4. MH304 Common entry to Computer, Electronic and Communications Engineering
    5. TR038 Engineering with Management
    6. DN030 Computer Science
    7. MH203 Computer Science and Software Engineering
    8. DC230 Economics, Politics and Law
    9. TR015 Philosophy, Political Science, Economics and Sociology
    10. TR034 Management Science and Information Systems Studies

The only thing I'm worried about is that Trinity doesn't have a work experience scheme for engineering, but I heard one is in works. Anyone actually know?

Daragh101 wrote: »
    I take it you like science!!:D
    How ever did you guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 WHirl7

DB10 wrote: »
    i might be a guidance counsellor, since they get paid to do sweet **** all...

I had one discussion with her in 5 years and all that done was put me off a course I wanted to do...:rolleyes:

Is it a rule that all school guidance counsellors are completely useless? Mine keeps telling me to do Spanish in college instead of German just because he prefers it and he thinks that 'everyone in Germany speaks English anyway'. He's also constantly nagging me to put down some Level 7 courses (and I quote) 'in case you get swine flu or break your leg during the leaving cert' :rolleyes:

WHirl7 wrote: »
    Is it a rule that all school guidance counsellors are completely useless? Mine keeps telling me to do Spanish in college instead of German just because he prefers it and he thinks that 'everyone in Germany speaks English anyway'. He's also constantly nagging me to put down some Level 7 courses (and I quote) 'in case you get swine flu or break your leg during the leaving cert' :rolleyes:

our guidance counsellor is beyond a joke!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

WHirl7 wrote: »
    Lol, a lot of Germans do speak good English, but I'm not sure that's a good reason not to learn German!

Germany is one of the strongest / largest economies within the EU, which makes it a useful language ... on the other hand, a lot more people worldwide speak Spanish, and it's an easier language to learn.

In the end, it's up to you, not your guidance counsellor. And maybe you can take both in first year, depending on what course you're thinking of doing, and decide then? Languages are never a burden.

And you don't get charged any extra for filling in your Level 7 list, you know.

Advertisement