Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steel Panther

Options
  • 21-12-2009 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭

Haven't seen a thread about them here. Followed them on youtube for a while and all the celebs they got on stage to sing with them.

Got their album a while back and it's alright. Some of the songs are real fun songs and once you don't take it too seriously you will enjoy it.

They will be on the main stage at download 2010.

Anyone else like them or has seen them live ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Seen them twice feckin brill show have been fan since metal shop,found them thru the metal-sludge site years ago love the album its not everyones cup of tea and above all not to be taken seriously!! But the best thing about it is the amazing musicianship from all members on the songs and the cool guest musicians...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

If i wanted to listen to that kind of music, I'd much rather listen to the bands that they're taking the piss of to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

If i wanted to listen to that kind of music, I'd much rather listen to the bands that they're taking the piss of to be honest.

I feel the same. They are just far too O.T.T. for my liking. I listen to all the old glam bands: Crue, Ratt, Poison, Cinderella, etc. and love it all. SP are just way too 'in-your-face' with the lyrics to be in any way enjoyable. The booklet for the CD is a howl tho...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

DazMarz wrote: »
    I feel the same. They are just far too O.T.T. for my liking. I listen to all the old glam bands: Crue, Ratt, Poison, Cinderella, etc. and love it all. SP are just way too 'in-your-face' with the lyrics to be in any way enjoyable. The booklet for the CD is a howl tho...

+1 what i dont like is the fact that they've just copied the riffs and songs and redid them with pisstake lyrics, like one of they're songs is just unchained by Van Halen except with differant lyrics, they didnt even bother to change the melody..

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Whiplash

got the album back in august and enjoyed it. but at this stage the novelty has worn off for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

I listen to them. They're good for a laugh. I don't listen to them regularly though more once in a while thing. They've got some good songs though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Got to see them open for ZZ Top in London a couple months ago. They're very entertaining on stage, very talented musicians, and their songs aren't too bad. Yeah, they're a spoof, nobody should take them seriously. Lord knows they don't. Damn good fun for what they are though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I really enjoy them and there just a bit of fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Whiplash wrote: »
    got the album back in august and enjoyed it. but at this stage the novelty has worn off for me.
    yep, same here.. was really into them for about a month after i got the cd and then meh tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

I think these guys r caught in a genuine spinal tap scenario as spoof glam rock is done to death to such a pase point I.T. geeks love to don a wig n inflatable geetar for office parties

NOT cool. i had to sit through this rockumentary of a spoof group called Anvil the other night, seems even in '84 they weren't funny. i think the groups who are unintentionally funny do it best like Saxons 'Walking through Tokyo'

• Advertisement

Anvil a spoof group?? I think you may be wrong there pal,they actually had a few decent albums that were all original with proper lyrics cheesy 80's lyrics none the less but not about asian hookers if ya get what im saying. Wiki explains it better http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anvil_(band) they actually influenced alot of the big metal bands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

cheesy 80's lyrics none the less but not about asian hookers if ya get what im saying.

You don't like Asian hookers? What have you got against Asian hookers? What did Asian hookers do to you? Wait, did Asian hookers NOT do something to you? Is that it?

Sarky wrote: »
    You don't like Asian hookers? What have you got against Asian hookers? What did Asian hookers do to you? Wait, did Asian hookers NOT do something to you? Is that it?

very good sarky but i was refrencing the steel panther son ASIAN HOOKER

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Can't listen to them tbh. I understand that their music is generally just a piss take, but I just haven't the patience to listen to them.

very good sarky but i was refrencing the steel panther song ASIAN HOOKER

thats funny man i own every volume of Asian Street Hookers but not this song. gimme a break Anvil r playin the spoof card first n foremost.. intentional i saw the guy use a dildo as a slide on his fretboard

sarky you n me need to visit the far east

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Rocky77

Saw them in the Roxy on November 30, live show was great fun and their covers were good. I think the key with them is really not to take it too seriously; they're a gimick and the novelty factor can only take them so far. They're a bit of fluff and shouldn't be treated as anymore than that.

However, they definitely serve a purpose. They say they're bringing heavy metal back to the Sunset Strip 'by playing other people's music', all very tongue in cheek, but if it gets people who wouldn't normally listen to Van Halen or Poision going out looking to download of their stuff and they become interested, then I'm all for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

Panther is a certain amount of desperation from David Lee Ralph as he's known in LA, the singer who started life in Atomic Punks (van halen trib) then metal skool (cover act) and also stared in the film rockstar.

He's just always wanted to be a star, and now he has it the only way he knows how.

I like the album for what it is and the way they cloned tones and certain parts of riffs from warrant, halen etc..etc..

Good fun stuff but a pity as them guys can def play their asses off....

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Rocky77

I take your point; Satchel is an awesome guitar player. I think with Panther there's an obvious affection for the music they play and bands they parody. Some anti-metal heads would probably have you believe they're taking the piss, but I reckon they're having a laugh rather than taking the piss out of anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭band_wanted

steel panter are savage man
    if anyone is interested in startin a glam band of the same style ie. poison, motley crue, whitesnake im lookin for some lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

ignoring the "pimp your band" post ...

How savage are steel panther? Ive really gotten back into the album since this thread put them to the forefront.

Fat Girl.. asian hooker, stripper girl, the shocker.. all classics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

steel panter are savage man
    if anyone is interested in startin a glam band of the same style ie. poison, motley crue, whitesnake im lookin for some lads.

Irish Glam bands = Crap:D:D

well u know when my bud mentioned these - he whom i once found a dance music video featuring birds doin aerobics on his HDD so melodic audibles ain't really his territory knowahmsayin - besides i failed to find the humour in THAT - i initially thought fantastic a group of Poison Plaguiarizers.. n i hadn't even seen this

http://www.popstarsplus.com/images/SteelPantherPicture004.jpg

compare to:

http://media.musictoday.com/store/bands/93/product_large/MUDD1479.JPG

honestly man a parody of spoof metal.. in 2010. its even past the realm of IT geeks in cosplay by now, very 10+yr ago. how these guys are more famous than they shouldn't be is beyond me

EDIT: i want to see a parody in turn of these guys, just to let em know how lame their get up is

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭band_wanted

kona wrote: »
    Irish Glam bands = Crap:D:D

yeah due to the fact there is none!!

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Steel Panther doing Eatin' 'aint cheatin' . . . . classic !

Can't imagine I would listen to them continuously but I tell ya . . . they are great musicians. They really give me a laugh which is needed in these straightened times. Check out their version of "I believe in a thing called love" with Justin Hawkins on vocals. It's up on Youtube. Great fun.

Any Dumpy's Rusty Nuts fand out there ? ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

I like the Panther nearly as much as spinal tap! its handy, they are next to each other on my ipod too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

I agree. I just don't see what so special about this band,:( and I would also much rather listen to the bands they are taking the piss out of as well.

Advertisement