Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitten in heat, and I haven't a clue!

Options
  • 21-12-2009 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

Had no idea why kitty was wailing in what seemed to be agony all this morning, hopping from on back paw to the other, and literally writing on the carpet. It's my sister's cat, and I'm a dog person, so panicked and went to the vet, who very nicely told me she was just on heat! She's about 5 months old, and I have read a few threads here already suggesting to get the kittys neutered- that is the plan after christmas (it's 70 euros and places are shutting down now for the hols)

She's driving me demented with the wailing tho, can anything be done to help?? She has only been outside twice in the past month and there is no chance (well very little) of her getting out. And the spraying - she has been confined to the utility room with plenty of water and food - is the spraying something that smells? We are all a bit paranoid about letting her in the sitting room on the carpet if so...

Apart form investing in earplugs for the next few days are there any other tips to keep her settled?

This by the way is kitty;
    14342_342260070580_502670580_10083092_3086015_n.jpg
    14342_359781250580_502670580_10205051_6808041_n.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

You need to book her in for neutering asap in the new year - book it now, so there won't be a further delay, because if a cat is unmated after the first heat, the next heat can come on very quickly - a matter of a couple of weeks.

Definitely do not allow her outside or you WILL have a litter of kittens to deal with.

The wailing - she's calling for a mate. The noise will attract every intact tom cat in the area, so beware male cats trying to invade your house through an open window, and beware her making sprints for freedom through any door that's opened even a crack. Her calling will continue until the heat ends.

Cat urine will smell if it's not cleaned up. Soon as she does it, clean it up with plenty of hot water and soap. The spraying should stop once she's neutered - but if she can smell urine she'll continue to scent mark in the same place. You can buy black lights - UV lights that'll show up the urine when you switch the lights off (very CSI) to help you clean it up. Don't clean up urine with an ammonia based product or with bleach - this smells to the cat as though the biggest cat ever has peed over their pee, and will just encourage them to pee there again.

Otherwise you just have to wait it out really. She's a cutey - just remember that the noise sounds worse to you - she's not really massively upset when she makes that noise, she's just being a cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I don't envy you the next week or two! I had to keep my eldest cat in for nearly two weeks while she was in heat as she'd had kittens some 8 weeks before and her breasts weren't small enough for them to do the Operation until then. She nearly didn't live to see it! (Not really, but one was tempted...)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Thanks for all the helpful info. She is currently locked out in the utility and has access to my bedroom (they're linked) and is playing (?) with the vacuum cleaner. So affectionate she is too, usually she is scrabbing at my arms!!! Well it's really good to know she isn't in pain, I was really worried!

Off to the chemist for the earplugs...

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adventure Pout

I dont know if you are based in dublin but you can still try a vet in Raheny and see if they are opened today or tomorrow: http://rahenyvet.com/
    The vets are great there. I brought stray cats there and they come out very clean and not falling all around due to the dosage of anesthesia...as some other vet places, they use a large amount of anesthesia..
    Try to call, you never know and maybe it will stop the poor cat to scream..
    Btw, she is such a cutie... lovely kitty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

Arrrrgh she is so cute

• Advertisement
Advertisement