Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christy Moore guitar tuning

Options
  • 21-12-2009 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Anyone care to suggest what tuning the oul' legend uses? I've been studying it a lot lately and can't really figure it out ive heard that he drops the 1st to 5th down half a step and leaves the low E in normal tuning with capo on first fret but I've tried this and it just does'nt seem to work!? whats the pinky finger doing on the 1st. string 3rd fret?? Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭squelly

The pinky on the third fret, E string is christy playing a G major. this is a chord a pure beginner would be shown as a young child maybe. Dont ask me why Christy plays his G this way???

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

squelly wrote: »
    The pinky on the third fret, E string is christy playing a G major. this is a chord a pure beginner would be shown as a young child maybe. Dont ask me why Christy plays his G this way???

Thanks, I see what you mean, but I cannot hear a G major chord being strummed which leads me to think there must be some sort of alternate tuning?? the chords he plays are unique and sound very well. Having said that he has a very good strumming pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 joconnor59

yep as a christy fan for years and i am from the short grass county and following christy for years with his shows and play a bit auld guitar me self !!! christy mutes alot of the strings while strumming which is how he gets the procussion sound..yes the third fret with the small pinky is how he plays the g-chord.. dont really know which guitars he plays but i am sure he plays a semi-acoustic takamine same as mine ~~~ i am sure he plays alot of songs in standard tuning 440.. hope this helps ? and hows it goin !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

Thanks my friend, yea i've looked into it meself over the past year and standard tuning alright it is. As you say his strumming method is very good. Yea he plays Takamine but wont advertise them as they wouldnt support him in the early days or something like that?? I actually play a lot of CM's tunes in dadgad as it suits the melodys better, at least I think anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 celicjoe

Put your capo on the first fret and then tune the guitar as if there were no capo. This means that if you play a C chord with the capo on the first fret it will sound identical to a guitar playing C with no capo. The advantage of doing this is that it shortens the scale length and also reduces the tension on the strings; two things which make playing a dreadnought guitar very much easier.
    Then tune the 6th string (with the capo still on the first fret) up one semi-tone so that the open string sounds F. The main advantage of raising the 6th string is that when the F chord is played the 6th is played open, much easier than holding down the first fret.
    When playing the G chord hold down the 6th string with your thumb at the 2nd fret.

• Advertisement
Advertisement