Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which dialect do kíla sing in?

• 21-12-2009 9:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭

I think this'll be handy for me to know, since I'm actually beginning to take note of the lyrics & it's helping to increase my vocabulary:)

...but I can't tell for the life of me! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Ceist mhaith!

The Ó Snodaigh family are from Dublin, so, like must people from Dublin, their Irish is very much a mixture of all dialects. Their father, Pádraig Ó Snodaigh, was born in Carlow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Corca Dhuibhne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Ceilteach

Corca Dhuibhne

.... based on what exactly?
    Kila don't sing in a canúint, they have Gaeilge na bhFoghlaimeoirí, and there's faic wrong with that but don't try to ascribe a canúint especially when it's definitely not Corca Dhuibhne!

The group consists of 3 of the Ó Snodaigh family who have always hoilidayed there, and not just for 2 weeks in the summer! The lead singer Rónán Ó Snodaigh will tell you that's where his leanings are.
    The whole group went to all-Irish schools and should be considered more than "foghlaimeoirí".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Corca Dhuibhne
    :eek:
    That's perfect!!! My grandparents came from Kerry & even spent loads summers in Dún Chaoin. :)
    I've ALWAYS wanted to learn the Munster dialect, but kept bumping into Ulster & Connacht...little did I know I was listening to the dialect I wanted to learn everyday! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

rónán especially sings in the dialect of deadly.

listen to the music, looks up words if you want - they are all irish words ever irish speaker will understand you, the country and the speaker base is not that big.....

better yet go to kila.ie and look into buying one or all of the poetry books on sale there

many of the lyrics came from poems he wrote.

luascadán has 13 - buy that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Jay1989 wrote: »
    :eek:
    That's perfect!!! My grandparents came from Kerry & even spent loads summers in Dún Chaoin. :)
    I've ALWAYS wanted to learn the Munster dialect, but kept bumping into Ulster & Connacht...little did I know I was listening to the dialect I wanted to learn everyday! :D

They're from Dublin and have Dublin accents. Corca Dhuibhne Irish may have had an influence on their Irish but they definitely don't sing in the Corca Dhuibhne dialect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

better yet go to kila.ie and look into buying one or all of the poetry books on sale there

many of the lyrics came from poems he wrote.

luascadán has 13 - buy that.

Nice tip man, thanks! I'll definitely have a look at the stuff during the festive season!:)

The group consists of 3 of the Ó Snodaigh family who have always hoilidayed there, and not just for 2 weeks in the summer! The lead singer Rónán Ó Snodaigh will tell you that's where his leanings are.
    The whole group went to all-Irish schools and should be considered more than "foghlaimeoirí".

Saying they have Gaeilge na bhfoghlaimeoirí is by no means derogatory, but they were born in raised in Dublin AFAIK and attended Gaelscoileanna which means they don't have Corca Dhuibhne Irish. Compare the lyrics below;
    Bhí mé ann nuair a bhí tú beo........ Bhíos ann nuair a bhís beo
    Chaith muid am le chéile................. Chaitheamar am le chéile

Nothing wrong with Gaeilge na nGaelscoileanna but Canúint Chorca Dhuibhne it ain't

Yes their blas is from the hometown but Baile na nGall is the spiritual home
    and like all artists they are allowed poetic licence.

• Advertisement

Yes their blas is from the hometown but Baile na nGall is the spiritual home
    and like all artists they are allowed poetic licence.

You're confusing dialect with their "spiritual home" (whatever that is)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

Their Irish is definitely a mixture of dialects.

They sing mostly in Irish.

Nuff said.

The singers Rónán and Colm Ó Snodaigh were brought-up in an Irish-speaking household in Dublin. Their mother is from Munster and the father has Munster Irish. Dubliners' inclination when speaking Irish is generally towards Munster. The Irish in the songs are not influenced by Connacht or Ulster dialects. Obviously they dont sing as the Begleys do but they go to the same well- in their spiritual home.
    Whatever you make of it, they are there to be enjoyed.

The singers Rónán and Colm Ó Snodaigh were brought-up in an Irish-speaking household in Dublin. Their mother is from Munster and the father has Munster Irish. Dubliners' inclination when speaking Irish is generally towards Munster. The Irish in the songs are not influenced by Connacht or Ulster dialects. Obviously they dont sing as the Begleys do but they go to the same well- in their spiritual home.
    Whatever you make of it, they are there to be enjoyed.

Jesus let it go man! You're starting to make a bit of an eejit of yourself. Where do you get the notion that "Dubliners' inclination when speaking Irish is generally towards Munster"? I think you'll find the majority of Dubs who speak any Irish are influenced first and foremost by their primary / secondary school teachers and then are mainly influenced by where they go to the Gaeltacht or University.
    Enjoy the music, leave the broad sweeping statements about canúintí alone.;)

Ceilteach wrote: »
    Jesus let it go man! You're starting to make a bit of an eejit of yourself. Where do you get the notion that "Dubliners' inclination when speaking Irish is generally towards Munster"? I think you'll find the majority of Dubs who speak any Irish are influenced first and foremost by their primary / secondary school teachers and then are mainly influenced by where they go to the Gaeltacht or University.
    Enjoy the music, leave the broad sweeping statements about canúintí alone.;)

"Let it go"!... if I've a point to make, I think I'm entitled to make it. You're not doing such a great job of holding back yourself ! Down the decades, most of our teachers were from Munster and so, yes, this was a huge influence on Dubs learning Irish...if you cant see it, you cant see it, if you cant hear it, you cant hear it.

"Let it go"!... if I've a point to make, I think I'm entitled to make it. You're not doing such a great job of holding back yourself ! Down the decades, most of our teachers were from Munster and so, yes, this was a huge influence on Dubs learning Irish...if you cant see it, you cant see it, if you cant hear it, you cant hear it.

Fair play to you for taking on the responsibility of representing every Dub who ever learned Irish! If you think that "Munster Irish" constitutes a canúint then I'll leave you at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Being a Dub I would agree with An gal gréine, schools in Dublin lean towards the Munster pronounciation, especially on verbs

Beidh - Beg instead of Bey
    Cheannaigh - Khyannig instead of khyannee

Ceilteach wrote: »
    Fair play to you for taking on the responsibility of representing every Dub who ever learned Irish! If you think that "Munster Irish" constitutes a canúint then I'll leave you at it.

You have either chosen to misrepresent what I have written or you just dont get it !
    "Canúint na Mumhan" is a broad term widely used to describe what is distinct from Connacht and Ulster. That does'nt deny county subdivisions therein; namely, Kerry, Cork and Waterford. I fail to understand how you cant see this !
    In entry 15 to this thread yesterday, it's clear for all (except you) to see that I use
    the word "generally" with regard to the natural leanings of Dubliners towards the south. "Representing every Dub" is your sweeping, inaccurate conclusion !

all these years i thought i was learning irish - how wrong i was..... :o

lads - irish is irish ffs.

but if we had to go into dialects and what ''dubs'' learn - make a statement that covers maybe 100,000 kids is a bit mad.

munster teachers maybe - but the standard is mostly connacht.

• Advertisement

all these years i thought i was learning irish - how wrong i was..... :o

lads - irish is irish ffs.

but if we had to go into dialects and what ''dubs'' learn - make a statement that covers maybe 100,000 kids is a bit mad.

munster teachers maybe - but the standard is mostly connacht.

Correct, unfortunately it seems that people have taken the stair na gaeilge section of the leaving cert books and decided that somehow they're experts on canúintí!:D

Advertisement