Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much?

• 21-12-2009 10:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

How much on average is it to get your house rate, eg small 3 bed bungalow?
    Even a general idea, one local place is charging a fortune I understand that names can't be mentioned but think their pricing if very ott.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

How much on average is it to get your house rate, eg small 3 bed bungalow?
    Even a general idea, one local place is charging a fortune I understand that names can't be mentioned but think their pricing if very ott.

Hi Guineaspig.. you dont have to mention the company but what were they quoting for the above?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

guineapig.... it really does depend on who quotes

if its a professional practise quoting with full insurance, VAT included etc you can expect somewhere between €200-250 which is a very reasonable rate when the following is considered

SEI fee €25
    Travel fee (assume 15 miles) @ 1.20 = €18
    wages @ €20 per hr x 3 = €60
    insurance @ €10
    tools @ €10

= €123

+ 21% VAT = €26 = €149

which leaves the office with €50 in which to take utility bills, stationary, heating and lighting rates, electricity, etc out of.

As you can see, if a professional office charges you €200 theres probably about only €30 in it as profit...... for about 3 hours work.... worth it?

If its some joe soap with no insurance doing it for cash in hand you can pay anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭w123

sydthebeat wrote: »
    SEI fee €25
    Travel fee (assume 15 miles) @ 1.20 = €18
    wages @ €20 per hr x 3 = €60
    insurance @ €10
    tools @ €10

= €123

+ 21% VAT = €26 = €149

which leaves the office with €50 in which to take utility bills, stationary, heating and lighting rates, electricity, etc out of.

As you can see, if a professional office charges you €200 theres probably about only €30 in it as profit...... for about 3 hours work.... worth it?

If its some joe soap with no insurance doing it for cash in hand you can pay anything.

Anybody can do these sums - look at mine. The only diffrence is that I have no vested interest.

SEI fee €25 agreed
    Travel fee (assume 15 miles) @ 1.20 = €18 Not anymore lucky to get €5
    wages @ €20 per hr x 3 = €60 agreed
    insurance @ €10 Crap, say 2 assessments per day = 350/year- ins max @ 6/700 so now@€2
    tools @ €10 More crap say @€;1 max

so now we're down to €93+VAT

If each ber visit is costing the company €50 in overhead then their expenses are too high - allow €10 - say €7
    that brings it up to an even €100 + 21 VAT

reduce the hourly rate of the assessor by the reduction in the CPI and we're down even further.

The real reason that the prices are this high is because that is what the market will bear. Simple as. Until we vote with our feet this will continue.

w123 wrote: »
    Anybody can do these sums - look at mine. The only diffrence is that I have no vested interest.

SEI fee €25 agreed
    insurance @ €10 Crap, say 2 assessments per day = 350/year- ins max @ 6/700 so now@€2

If each ber visit is costing the company €50 in overhead then their expenses are too high - allow €10 - say €7

reduce the hourly rate of the assessor by the reduction in the CPI and we're down even further.

The real reason that the prices are this high is because that is what the market will bear. Simple as. Until we vote with our feet this will continue.

laughable...

are you doing 350 assessments per year??? i consider myself prominent as ive done over 50 so far. Up to end November there has been 86,100 certs published. As there are 2876 assessor, then on average thats 30 each. Where the hell do you get 350 each from???

Travel. Refer to AAs suggested travel costs..... travelling 15 miles for €5 would equate to being on AR80.. .perhaps you are?

what insurance do you have for €700..... i have €1,300,000 PI and also public. The premium for next year is €3000...!!!!

Tools. Any assessor should have ladder, camera, flashlight, compass, pc, paper storage etc. Giving a very conservative costings here of €500 that means at your €2 and at an average of 30 assessments per year, it would take 8.3 years to pay for the tools. Ill stick by my €10, thank you very much.

I know exactly what profit is made by a professional office on each assessment and believe me, we've lost money on some.

being a one man band doing assessments for cash is not a secure living. These guys will not be able to survive further restrictions in the market. i applaud some guys who have been confident enough to start up a kind of 'full package' of service such as energy audits, thermal imaging, blower tests, etc. These guys are not charging 121 per assessment!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Bhoypaul

w123 wrote: »

SEI fee €25 agreed

What's it like in cloud cuckoo-land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Quick question again, how long does an average assesment take.

Will the rating really have any bearing on how much someone offers for a house when selling? Considering people usually get a surveyor to check a house out anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Syd answered your 1st query in detail already .

A BER rating will be only one of several factors influencing a house price .
    In my opinion , untill fuel costs rocket again ( which they will ) it may not be high on a buyers list .

I expect it will proove more influential sooner in the rental market .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Bhoypaul

The surveyor that Banks/lenders use are generally auctioneers with/without Chartered Surveyor training and are only giving an evaluation to support the load.

People buying a second hand house do at their own expense get a surveyor or engineer to look it over but they are looking for structural or dampness issues. They ar not rating it for energy.

Likewise a BER rating is not checking out structural issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭r-i-tect

Bhoypaul wrote: »
    What's it like in cloud cuckoo-land.

They vote with their feet, Says it all :rolleyes:

So it takes 3 hours to do an assesment?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Smcgie wrote: »
    Hi Guineaspig.. you dont have to mention the company but what were they quoting for the above?
    Guineapig has lots of questions but gives no replies.

What's wrong with asking questions? As a homeowner I've every right.
    The whole thing is ridiculous, all for saving the enviroment, encouraging homeowners to buy the greenest house possible but would of been nice if they brought down the price of solar panels etc. instead of charging a fortune for energy rating.

Had a quick glance in the window of the BER place today of the place and it said either €200 or €250 for it.

I am not paying it it's ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

it's ridiculous.

Agreed . Thread locked .

What's wrong with asking questions? As a homeowner I've every right.
    The whole thing is ridiculous, all for saving the enviroment, encouraging homeowners to buy the greenest house possible but would of been nice if they brought down the price of solar panels etc. instead of charging a fortune for energy rating.

Had a quick glance in the window of the BER place today of the place and it said either €200 or €250 for it.

I am not paying it it's ridiculous.

it was all explained above for you. accept it or not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement