Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London shopping?

• 21-12-2009 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Will be going to London over Xmas and was wondering if any ladies here have suggestions of where to go? I won't have too much time to go shopping but I was planning on going to Oxford Street (I'm completely obsessed with the Topshop there!!) and Covent Gardens. Might wander to Harrods if there's time but not too sure yet! Also does anyone know roughly what store opening times will be on Christmas Eve and Boxing Day? I'm aware they vary but a rough guestimate?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Styleiser

I'm actually in the middle planning an upcoming shopping trip to London...(hey it's not NYC but pretty damn good shopping to be done!). Have you been to Uniqlo http://www.helpmystyle.ie/afordable-fun-fashion-uniqlo ? They've two stores on Oxford street and tend to have some really nice, affordable stuff. I reckon it's only a matter of time before they arrive on these shores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

Carnaby street is good for kind of different stuff, not quite as busy as oxford street either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Carnaby and its side streets without a doubt. There's some good smaller shops opening up around Soho to wander around.

If you're into the whole 'vintage' buzz, go to Notting Hill Gate tube stop on the Saturday morning, and head up to Portobello Rd (Follow the masses) - The clothes are on the opposite end of the walk, but it's worth the trek up. It's pricey enough though. Also, the paella you'll smell on the way is good stuff.

On the Sunday morning get the tube to Liverpool St, and head down to Spitalfields Market, plenty of designers starting out if you're looking for something different. About 10 minutes walk from there is Brick Lane market, which is selling every type of clothing imaginable. It's cheaper than Portobello Rd too.

With both places, you're on the Central Line back to Oxford Street when the fancy takes you.

I can't remember opening hours for Christmas Eve, but I do remember thinking "oh-that's earlier than they close back home!"

If you're staying out West, the Westfield center can be as handy as going the whole way in to the centre of town - Again, it's on the Central Line, hop off at Shepards Bush or White City if you want a bit of a walk.

If you're there over Christmas and/or on the weekend, make sure to check all your tranport routes, there's upgrades closing stations at the weekends, along with snow and ice playing havok. Use www.tfl.gov.uk to check routes before you go. Also, as soon as you land in, pick up an Oyster card for yourself, it's 3 quid, which is refundable, and it'll save you a fortune on public transport.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

If you go to Topshop on Oxford Street, go early in the day.

It's enormous and always pretty busy. I was in there the other day and bought nothing because it was such a stressful experience being in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭Seonad

eth0_ wrote: »
    If you go to Topshop on Oxford Street, go early in the day.
    or late in the day. It's like a loony bin otherwise, along with the rest of Oxford Street. Most of the bigger shops on Oxford Street close around 9pm, I assume it'll be similar over Christmas.
    Knightsbridge is a nice area to wander around along with Covent Garden-some quirky shops there

• Advertisement
Advertisement