Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roll out of swine flu vacine in primary schools.

Options
  • 21-12-2009 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

We got the end of term news sheet with the round up of new for the year and one of the notices on it was that in the new year that the swine flu jabs would be available and that consent forms would be sent home to be signed.

Has any one else heard of this happening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

hasn't happened in our school yet, but HSE did say they would start immunising in schools in the new year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Thaedydal wrote: »
    We got the end of term news sheet with the round up of new for the year and one of the notices on it was that in the new year that the swine flu jabs would be available and that consent forms would be sent home to be signed.

Has any one else heard of this happening?

Quote: The HSE has begun writing to parents of children aged from 6 months to under 5 years, tolet them know when it is time for them bring their child to the HSE clinic for their vaccine. Parents of children in this group will begin to receive letters starting this week and throughout November and early December. During the same timeframe (November/December) letters will also issue to people aged 65 and over, inviting them to attend for their vaccine. End of Quote.

Link here: http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/2009_Archive/Nov_2009/flunov13.html

Curious that they mentioned that most over 65s seem to be immune to the virus. There are echos of the spanish flu in this virus i.e. it affects a certain part of the population i.e. the younger people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

My brats are 11 and 9, so don't fall under that scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Thaedydal wrote: »
    My brats are 11 and 9, so don't fall under that scheme.

Clerical error?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Seems there was some talk about this back in November but the roll out won't be until next year.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/900000-schoolchildren-to-receive-swine-flu-vaccination-105925.html
    900,000 schoolchildren to receive swine flu vaccination

By Niall Murray Education Correspondent

Thursday, November 19, 2009

THE vaccination of over 900,000 school children, teachers and other education staff against swine flu will begin next week.

However, some pupils and staff will have to attend neighbouring schools or local HSE vaccination clinics as it will not be logistically possible to provide a vaccination programme in all 4,000 primary and second level schools.

A vaccination pack for the parents of every pupil will be sent by the HSE to schools, including a consent form which must be completed by the parents or guardians every child under the age of 16.

The vaccination programme against the H1N1 pandemic is being rolled out to all children from five to 18 years old as the second priority group, following the initial vaccine delivery to people in at-risk health categories over recent weeks and, in more recent days, to children aged between six months and five years old.

The schools programme, with a target group of around 850,000 primary and second level pupils, 60,000 teachers and up to 20,000 other schools staff is expected to continue into early next year. The HSE is finalising which schools in which it is likely to establish clinics, and is likely to use second level schools mostly because of their sizes, with the aim of operating vaccination facilities as close as possible to school opening hours.

Education Minister Batt O’Keeffe paid tribute to the efforts of schools to date in helping to prevent the spread of the pandemic and asked them to continue their co-operation when the vaccination programme begins.

"I want to thank principals, teachers, school staff and managers for the conscientious and thorough way in which they have co-operated with the public health authorities in averting the spread of the virus. It’s important now that schools continue to adopt good hand and respiratory hygiene practice."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭hazeler

isn't there an ad on the radio at the moment that says primary school children will be vacinated soon and letters will be sent out in December and January??? I swear I heard something...

My girl is 8 and we've had no such note, yet, but the school are crap for notes so I wont hold my breath. You can ring your GP/Health clinic and they'll advise you on "when its your turn"!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Nurses were in doing vaccine with infants(not swine flu) today, told us we would not get the letter to give out until after Christmas,so don't blame schools!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭strongbluebell

My kids who are in secondary school in dublin brought home swine flu consent forms last week.

Over 16s can sign forms themselves, looks like I have no say in matter.

They were told HSE would be coming in to school middle of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

They're starting with schools that have more than 400 pupils.

Advertisement