Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notebook Laptop for DEAP Assessments

• 21-12-2009 10:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭

My main computer is an Apple Mac, and as DEAP does not run on Macs, for my DEAP Assessments I have been using an old pc that takes up too much space.

I am now thinking of buying a cheap notebook laptop solely for my DEAP Assessments. Does anybody else use one of these, and are there any pitfalls that I should be aware of?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

picorette wrote: »
    My main computer is an Apple Mac, and as DEAP does not run on Macs, for my DEAP Assessments I have been using an old pc that takes up too much space.

I am now thinking of buying a cheap notebook laptop solely for my DEAP Assessments. Does anybody else use one of these, and are there any pitfalls that I should be aware of?

Yes good job you asked.

I bought a dell netbook/notebook and the DEAP software did not open on the screen properly as the screen size was too small (10") i had to sell the netbook because it was useless to me then.

If your buying anything for assessments make sure the screen size is 15" or above or the software will not display properly.

And before someone mentiones reduce the screen resolution.. its doesnt work, i tried several things but it just doesnt work.

I think your lucky you asked.. (Donations accepted ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭parko202

You could always install windows onto your mac. It would save you a considerable amount and is pretty simple. It depends if it is a new mac (unibody ones) as they run windows without any problems due to their intel processors or, if it is one of the white ones, you can use an emulation software such as:

VMware fusion: http://store.apple.com/ie/product/TX501?mco=MTQwNTczOTA

parallels http://store.apple.com/ie/product/TY009?mco=MTM3NTI5OTA

Windows runs fine and all you need to do is install it as you would with any other OS and then install drivers from your mac os disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

I upgraded to a macbook pro, it runs snow leopard & windows 7. Great for DEAP software. can't beat being able to do everything on one machine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Bhoypaul

I take it you didn't buy Macs from your profits as an Assessor:D

you 100% right!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 rikaiser

I use my laptop for BER but I dont have microsoft word and excell on it for doing my calculations. I have to write up my invoices on my P.C. A bit of inconvience. I would recommend having excell and word (or some programme similar) when looking for a laptop.

rikaiser wrote: »
    I use my laptop for BER but I dont have microsoft word and excell on it for doing my calculations. I have to write up my invoices on my P.C. A bit of inconvience. I would recommend having excell and word (or some programme similar) when looking for a laptop.

without the intention of sounding like a smartarse.. You do realise that you can buy office for about €50 - €70 and install it on your laptop??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Bhoypaul

and not wanting to sound an even bigger smart arse but check your Microssoft license to see if you can load your office package onto more thatn once PC.
    My version allows me to load the programmes onto 4 PCs

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rikaiser

Well done smart arses! Thanks. I was able to download microsoft office onto my laptop from the original C.D. Saved me 110 euro and much convience for deap assessments!

*Cough* <Puts Hand out>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 micow

nightster1 wrote: »
    I upgraded to a macbook pro, it runs snow leopard & windows 7. Great for DEAP software. can't beat being able to do everything on one machine!

Is is possible to run DEAP on Windows 7 on a PC (64 bit) other than on a Mac?

I just got a new HP laptop but can't get DEAP to run. I tried changing the compatibility settings to Windows XP (SP2) before running it but no joy.

I loaded windows 7, 32 bit, perhaps this is what you need, try tech assistance SEI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 micow

I was in contact with SEI and 64 bit is not an option for the time being. I have an alternative laptop so will make do for now. Thanks.

you can uninstall 64 bit and install 32 bit in your new machine

Advertisement